The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Flag placement

Was thinking of putting American flag on my new shirts and jackets. Anyone know the edict and placement? Association doesn’t seem to have a policy.
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt
Was thinking of putting American flag on my new shirts and jackets. Anyone know the edict and placement? Association doesn’t seem to have a policy.
It varies by association / state.
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

if you have no standard then...

I would put them on the back of the collar, looks much more professional then on the sleeve. I believe that is more commly accepted, as MiLB does it that way, and so did MLB back in 2001.

Just my $.02
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 05:15pm
M.A.S.H.

If you put them on a sleeve, make sure the flag is facing in the correct direction.
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Our association mandates them (well not really mandates, because of the 1st amendment, you have the right not to wear it, but everybody does since its widely accepted) 2 inches down on the left sleeve. We use the flags that have yellow around them, make sure wherever you put it on that you use the color thread of the patch, and not the shirt.
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
If you put them on a sleeve, make sure the flag is facing in the correct direction.
ive always wondered...what is the correct direction? im on the younger end of the user-base of the site and have never really heard.

i believe the convention is to have stars forward, so on the right sleeve you would want to have the stars on right when looking at it, and on the left when looking at a flag patch on the left sleeve. could be wrong though, and im not sure where i got that from.

also, i dont wear any flag patches on my shirts. if my association made it a requirement, id get one in the required area. if i felt like getting flags and it fit into our association guidelines but placement was up to me, id go in the middle of the upper back, like MiLB does.
Old Sun Dec 31, 2006, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
i believe the convention is to have stars forward,
That's correct.

To be safe, the original poster could put one on each sleeve, one on the pocket ond one on the back under the collar.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

there really is no "correct direction" I've seen it both ways, and not just on Umps...No laws or anything stating the direction, but the PC direction is the reveresed one for the right sleeve.

Just another one of those things its up to the individual organizations.

Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
there really is no "correct direction" I've seen it both ways, and not just on Umps...No laws or anything stating the direction, but the PC direction is the reveresed one for the right sleeve.
UmpDan is correct. In fact, if you want to get technical, we should not wear a flag patch at all. The US Flag Code (36 USC 176) states: (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations...

That said, it has become an "accepted" practice to display the flag on athletic uniforms. The flag should be displayed with the union on the flag's own right (the viewer's left) as worn by UmpDan in his picture. The flag is actually affixed in reverse on military uniforms when worn on the right sleeve and the union is displayed on the flag's own left (the viewer's right). Military uniforms are unique since the placement of the union on the flag's own left gives the appearance of the flag "flying" as the troops rush into battle.

Last edited by Delaware Blue; Mon Jan 01, 2007 at 09:00am.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan

Just another one of those things its up to the individual organizations.

I know this is not the issue, but if you re going to wear a blue shirt, please wear blue ball bags. If you can't get your uniform colors right, the direction of the flag doesn't really matter.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/faqs/q60.htm

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/faqs/q57.htm
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

black ball bags dont really go with a navy shirt, or powder shirt, or anything that is navy-based.

a belt is an accessory. you should match the ball bags to the base color of your shirt. navy ball bags with navy, powder, red shirts. black ball bags with black, cream, MLB blue.
at least thats what i and nearly every other person ive ever seen does. do whatever you want though.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJN
Wrong,

Black Ball bags are acceptable (maybe preferable). you are wearing black shoes and a black belt, black ball bags match those. shirt color doesn't matter

You are absolutely correct if you are getting dressed to go out to a party. Your shoes should match your purse (and don't forget it is tacky to wear white shoes at night after Labor Day). However, in baseball, your ball bags should match the darkest color in your shirt, and your hat should match your ball bags.

Please let us know when (or if) you work anything higher than LL.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
You are absolutely correct if you are getting dressed to go out to a party. Your shoes should match your purse (and don't forget it is tacky to wear white shoes at night after Labor Day). However, in baseball, your ball bags should match the darkest color in your shirt, and your hat should match your ball bags.

Please let us know when (or if) you work anything higher than LL.
If those really were the fashion rules, then how did the uniform and accessory makers come up with gray ballbags?
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
If those really were the fashion rules, then how did the uniform and accessory makers come up with gray ballbags?

The same way they came up with black leather ball bags....someone at the lower levels of baseball will buy them. How many umpires at the upper levels of amateur baseball and in any level of professional baseball wear gray bags?
Closed Thread