The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Dear Carson:

My this thread has taken an unbelievable turn . . .

Someone with the moniker of "BigTex" giving fashion advice.

Tex, please lead me to the document that gives this direction.

We seem to get the strangest sorts during the slow time of the off season.

Regards,
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 04:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
The same way they came up with black leather ball bags....someone at the lower levels of baseball will buy them. How many umpires at the upper levels of amateur baseball and in any level of professional baseball wear gray bags?
While I am not worried about the leather bags becoming a standard at upper levels, I have seen plenty of NCAA Division 1 umpires wearing gray ball bags, as well as many HS umpires. And, I do remember seeing Bob Engel and Dutch Rennert both wear gray ball bags before.

Gray ball bags have traditionally been offered by all the major suppliers, right alongside the black and navy pro-style ball pockets. They have not been promoted separately as a novelty item such as the Honig's leather ball bags have been.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The same way they came up with black leather ball bags....someone at the lower levels of baseball will buy them. How many umpires at the upper levels of amateur baseball and in any level of professional baseball wear gray bags?
Equating gray ballbags with leather ballbags is ludicrous. The fact is in umpiring groups past and present who use the traditional navy shirt, gray ballbags were and are perfectly acceptable. And that goes for every level up to and including MLB.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
Equating gray ballbags with leather ballbags is ludicrous. The fact is in umpiring groups past and present who use the traditional navy shirt, gray ballbags were and are perfectly acceptable. And that goes for every level up to and including MLB.
Let me stand corrected. My research has shown that up until the 2006 season, the gray ball bags were acceptable with a blue shirt at the NCAA level. However, I have never worn gray, and cannot remember anyone at the NCAA level and above wearing them. I asked a question that was not answered....How many guys have you seen wearing gray bags at upper levels of the game? Dave says that Gray is acceptable at the MLB level, has anyone seen an umpire at the MLB level wearing gray (in the last 15 years)?

I still stand by my original statement that you should not wear black bags with a blue shirt, and vice-versa.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let me stand corrected. My research has shown that up until the 2006 season, the gray ball bags were acceptable with a blue shirt at the NCAA level. However, I have never worn gray, and cannot remember anyone at the NCAA level and above wearing them. I asked a question that was not answered....How many guys have you seen wearing gray bags at upper levels of the game? Dave says that Gray is acceptable at the MLB level, has anyone seen an umpire at the MLB level wearing gray (in the last 15 years)?

I said when navy shirts were being worn, gray ballbags were worn with them, and that includes MLB. Now, we all know that navy shirts are no longer worn by MLB umpires; they presently wear black or light blue shirts, and they wear black ballbags with both of those colors.

If varsity high school qualifies with you as an "upper level of the game," then I can attest that gray ballbags are still being worn, with navy shirts, at upper levels.

Quote:
I still stand by my original statement that you should not wear black bags with a blue shirt, and vice-versa.
I don't disagree with that statement, but your original statement was much broader than that, setting out a comprehensive set of "rules" for what color ballbag to wear depending on what color shirt was being worn. I simply pointed out that your comprehensive rules excluded gray ballbags which are appropriately worn with navy shirts, irrespective of level.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Considering Honig's took them out of their Spring 07 catalog, the leather ball bags werent a hit AT ANY LEVEL.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

I put my flags on the leading edge of my black, fabric ball bags.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
I put my flags on the leading edge of my black, fabric ball bags.

The ones you wear with your blue shirt?
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 09:52pm

Quote:
I asked a question that was not answered....How many guys have you seen wearing gray bags at upper levels of the game? Dave says that Gray is acceptable at the MLB level, has anyone seen an umpire at the MLB level wearing gray (in the last 15 years)?
Now you changed it to the last 15 years at the last minute here. I answered the question, but it was more than 15 years ago.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Big:

I suggest you go to the MiLB webpage.

Check their banner at the top . . . when it shows a "PU" (from neck down) he is wearing grey ball bags.

Of course this may not be high enough level of ball for your determination.

Regards,
Old Mon Jan 01, 2007, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I try to wear navy blue ball bags when I'm wearing a navy shirt. But there have been times when I've grabbed the wrong ball bags and wore black with a navy shirt while working a game or two. Guess what, the game went on as if there wasn't a difference and the fashion police never showed. Imagine that.

Tim.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The ones you wear with your blue shirt?
No, the ones I wear under my plate coat.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

You are all a bunch of no class, fashion sissies!

I wear the red ball bags that I got from Gerry Davis sports all the time. Even under my plate coat! I wear a blue one in the front so I can put my seeds in it. I am buying a leather ball bag before the season starts and that I will be putting in the back so I have something in case I have to go!
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
You are all a bunch of no class, fashion sissies!

I wear the red ball bags that I got from Gerry Davis sports all the time. Even under my plate coat! I wear a blue one in the front so I can put my seeds in it. I am buying a leather ball bag before the season starts and that I will be putting in the back so I have something in case I have to go!
You mean you don't own some of those lovely two-color bags ?!?!?!
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpduck11
You mean you don't own some of those lovely two-color bags ?!?!?!
Naw! What do you think I am, a cheap slut?