The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Ball Bags

Good Morning,
Just wondering what kind of ball bags you guys wear. Right now I wear the Carllucci bag and its pretty good. I see the one that POS sells is no longer available as it looked pretty nice. I like the idea of the zippered back to hold keys and cash. Also how many of you wear 2 bags behind the plate???
Thanks Mike
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFISTO
...I see the one that POS sells is no longer available as it looked pretty nice. I like the idea of the zippered back to hold keys and cash. ...
Is this the bag you are looking for?
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

The only time I have two bags behind the plate is when my wife and mother-in-law show up.

Serious, though, I've never been handed enough game balls to need two bags.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 01:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
The only time I have two bags behind the plate is when my wife and mother-in-law show up.

Serious, though, I've never been handed enough game balls to need two bags.

I wear two. Usually, I don't get enough game balls to fill both bags, but it just looks better. I carry a small towel in the left hand bag, and any extra baseballs.

There have been quite a few occasions when I've received more game balls than even two bags could handle. That's always a good problem to have.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Every year as we move into the new season someone brings forth the "UmpAttire" ball bag.

It is a very good bag for softball and small diamond umpires. I do not know of any upper divison umpires that wear the "UmpAttire" bag.

When not wearing a plate coat I always wear two ball bags.

"Most" game balls go in the left bag (as I am left handed) and any extras drop in the right bag. Since I wear Honig's bags there is a pocket inside the right bag where I keep my plate brush . . . I also keep lineup cards and pens (cool small slot for the red pen) in the right bag.

I just like the "level" look of two bags.

Wear what you want and are comfortable with . . .

Regards,
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Is this the bag you are looking for?

That one looks pretty good, but it's not the one that +POS had a while back. Too bad that's one's no longer available. Not only did it have the zippered compartment, it was also tough and well put together. I've had one for years and have experienced none of the usual loosening of threads at stress points.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

doesn't that take the hair off?
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

1 for reg. season since i only get 2 game balls ( ) and two for tournaments where im given 6 or more. Im left handed, but when i wear only one its on my right side
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

I use two ball bags a-la Gerry Davis Sports unless I am wearing a plate coat. My brush is kept in the right fanny pocket. I do not keep seeds or any of that paraphernalia in my bags. Pen and pencil in the right bag, line up card in the shirt pocket (or inside pocket on the plate coat). No zippers, no flash, no flair, just plain old ball bags with inside pockets.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

i always wear two. black when the shirt color calls for it, and navy when the shirt color calls for it.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
"Most" game balls go in the left bag (as I am left handed) and any extras drop in the right bag. Since I wear Honig's bags there is a pocket inside the right bag where I keep my plate brush . . . I also keep lineup cards and pens (cool small slot for the red pen) in the right bag.
Being right handed I am similar but opposite. My right ball bag carries only balls. The left bag has plate brush in the front pocket, ink pen in the small center pocket, and lineup holder in the rear pocket. I keep a small blue wash cloth size rag in the rear also during warm weather. My car key is in the left bag.

If I have 5 balls then 3 are in the right and 2 on the left. If 4 then 3 are on the right and 1 on the left. If 3 then 2 are on the right and 1 on the left. If 2 they are both on the right. If 1 it is on the right. If I throw my last ball in I don't stop play but I make sure the home team knows it. It's a nearly unconscious system, two bags, all the "stuff" in the left bag, and the right bag is the "working" bag.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Every year as we move into the new season someone brings forth the "UmpAttire" ball bag.

It is a very good bag for softball and small diamond umpires. I do not know of any upper divison umpires that wear the "UmpAttire" bag.

When not wearing a plate coat I always wear two ball bags.

Wear what you want and are comfortable with . . .
Just curious why you acknowledge that the UmpAttire bag is "very good" for softball and small diamond, but apparently not for "upper division". You mention the "level" look of two bags. Is the "UmpAttire" too large (it looks big in the images) to wear two of them, so it would only be worn on one side? Or is there some other factor that makes it not so good for upper level ball? Not trying to be contentious, just trying to understand the point you are making.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

"Or is there some other factor that makes it not so good for upper level ball?"

Pretty simple: the bag SCREAMS small diamond umpire.

In my opinion it rivals a "fanny pack" on the PU.

Stick with real ball bags.

Regards,
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

I like some things about the Ump-Attire bags. I really like the quality and thickness of the bag. For some reason, I am able to reach in grab out baseballs easier than I can in other bags that are constructed out of thinner materials. I don't care for the zipper pockets because I don't want a lot of junk rolling around in there and frankly you really can't access them easily enough during games anyway. I don't care for the elastic top. Unneccesary and it does scream rookie. Give me an Ump-Attire bag without the zipper pocket and elastic and I'll use them more often.

Lawrence
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Indeed. When I wear only one ball bag, I feel out of balance, as if i'm going to lean right and fall over. Having that other bag on my left side keeps me level.