The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Am I the only one??? 3 games as LJ in 4 man(we go with the deep guy on scrimmage kicks here), I bag the end of kick as prescibed, I have had 3 run back well over 50 yards, then lets go get the bag! Being the spry 37 year old with some wheels left, I usually end up with initial yardage run, then retrieve my bag(they cost money) and get back for the try and then line up K for free kick....SUCKS!!!!!
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Try dropping the bag in the same area each kick.
i.e. on the hash marks, on the numbers, develope
a consistent pattern, that will help when it needs
retrieved.
you should carry 2 bags if you are LJ in 4 person or
5 person and the BJ in 5 person.
Try getting the ball boy to pick up the bag on the
next dead ball. JMO
Get your R to hold ready till you return if you go after
the bag.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

Get used to it and carry extra bags.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Chris,

Whats the problem? They scored. After the kick, you go to the 50 anyway. Pick it up after the kick. It's a bigger issue if they don't score. Carry 2 extra bags.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Talking Bag-Gate!!

Quote:
Originally posted by chris s
Am I the only one??? 3 games as LJ in 4 man(we go with the deep guy on scrimmage kicks here), I bag the end of kick as prescibed, I have had 3 run back well over 50 yards, then lets go get the bag! Being the spry 37 year old with some wheels left, I usually end up with initial yardage run, then retrieve my bag(they cost money) and get back for the try and then line up K for free kick....SUCKS!!!!!
This works for us on our 5 man crew: as R and back man (bj/lj) cross paths, R tosses a bag to BJ/LJ, and BJ/LJ tells R yd line where bag is at, then R gets bag. If long return, R writes Yd line down, and retrives it at a more convienent time. If ad TD run, our BJ is with the kickers anyways, he just gets it then. We purchased extra bags this season for this resaon. Now, BJ & R each carries 3 bags. It has worked for us .
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 08:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Also, there's no need in 5 man for the BJ to go more than 10-15 yards upfield. Give the runner to the other four officials at an appropriate time, then retrieve the bag while you keep watching downfield, cleaning up behind the run.

On some long runs where I've strayed and headed further downfield, I've left the bag and retrieved it later in the game. I carry 3 on the field now, and after the first five weeks of the season I am actually a +1 on beanbags (I ended up with an extra one and everyone denied it was theirs -- must've been from the JV game the night before or something).

Rich