The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

I'm getting to buy a pair of pants..which ones?

I'm going to buy a pair of combo pants before the weekend is done, and I need you guys to let me know which ones to buy. Which online source, which style of pants, etc. should I get (considering current price, comfort, quality, fit, etc...all the factors)?

Thanks!
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BBUMP99
I recently bought two pairs (plate and base) of Gerry Davis brand pants from gerrydavis.com...the best money I have invested in uniforms thus far...Great fit, comfortable, look sharp...everything I have looked for in a pair of pants...
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanSCS
I'm going to buy a pair of combo pants before the weekend is done, and I need you guys to let me know which ones to buy. Which online source, which style of pants, etc. should I get (considering current price, comfort, quality, fit, etc...all the factors)?

Thanks!
Dont buy combos...
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks!
+POS, pluspos.com, has them on sale for 25% off right now. I like their pleated front combo pants. Just make sure they have them in stock(i.e. call first) before you lay your plastic down.

On some folks combo pants just don't work. But if you have an athletic build they are a good choice for lots of situations. Combos don't work with folks of more generous proportions. YMMV.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks!
Best advice about buying combo pants....don't. If you're not a tubby, they look terrible on the bases. And if you're a tubby, they look terrible behind the plate.

Bite the bullet and buy plate pants and base pants. Umpires look better in uniforms that fit properly.

The Honigs poly-wool are excellent.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

heather gray colored slacks that fit
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'll give a different take on the combo pant issue. I wear Honigs combo pants as plate pants, and Honigs base pants as base pants. In my experience, the combo pant leg is plenty flared to allow it to easily fit over shinguards (I use West Vest guards), and the Honigs plate pants are so much more flared I feel like I should be singing "Bell Bottom Blues" while wearing them.

But whoever said you need different pants for plate and bases because of the length is right on. If you try to wear the same pant for both, you're either going to be highwater when working the plate or looking frumpy on the bases due to them being too long.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Don't buy combo pants, they look terrible. They look like someone that doesn't have the time or the money to buy PROPER pants for the position they are in.

Don't buy combo pants.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etn_ump
Don't buy combo pants, they look terrible. They look like someone that doesn't have the time or the money to buy PROPER pants for the position they are in.

Don't buy combo pants.
DON'T take the blanket statement by anyone about combos. Look, after years of bicycle racing and triathlons my quads are bigger than the average Joe. Off the rack base pants make me look like John Travolta circa 1977. When I know I'm doing the plate, I've got plate pants. The combos look good on me on the bases, and I can use them on the dish if needed. For ME, the extra length to the plate shoe gets taken up by the shin guards. But that's me. I have no doubt that combos look horrific on others, I've seen it.

Me, I like the Honigs combos, 2" over my Levi 501 size in the waist. Remember, you're tucking in two shirts, thus the extra inches. I also like the +POS plate pants. I've got +POS base pants, for those anal assignors, and they look okay. But again, that's me, and not you or anyone else.
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Fashionistas

Come longer than "hell" or shorter than "high waters," I certainly hope I don't get judged on the length of my COMBO pants.

Last edited by SAump; Sun Dec 10, 2006 at 04:10pm.
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

garth is right: honigs poly-wools are great

however, i only have them for the bases right now. im replacing my honigs regular plate pants with honigs poly-wools very soon.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

I really can't tell when someone has plate, base, or combo pants on. I guess i'm just not looking hard enough.

The only time someone will clearly notice is if they're too tight or you're wearing sears pants.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Plate/Base/Combo Pants

Waht if Combo pants fit you very well for working the plate (i.e., with shinguards on)? Wouldn't those look a little better-tailored than plate pants, which have extremely wide legs?

And what if you are going to do a double header at a field/facility where changing out of plate pants into base pants is extremely inconvenient? Wouldn't combo pants help you do your job better by not looking too outrageous (tree trunks) when you end up doing the bases?

Mostly a LL umpire here, let the arrows fly, if necessary.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotblue?
Waht if Combo pants fit you very well for working the plate (i.e., with shinguards on)? Wouldn't those look a little better-tailored than plate pants, which have extremely wide legs?
if you have combo pants that are the right length for doing the plate, then they might look alright. however, if your combo pants are the right length for the plate, they are probably too long on the bases.
i have big thighs and i work GD so those two wouldnt work well with any tighter pants than plate pants. the width you get from plate pants is a big benefit, and i dont think it looks bad at all unless they are too long. with the right length, plate pants will come down perfectly at your shoes and they wont ride up too high when you are in your plate stance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotblue?
And what if you are going to do a double header at a field/facility where changing out of plate pants into base pants is extremely inconvenient? Wouldn't combo pants help you do your job better by not looking too outrageous (tree trunks) when you end up doing the bases?
ive never found a site that changing into plate pants is inconvenient. pop the trunk, pull down plate pants, pull up base pants, lets play 2.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etn_ump

Don't buy combo pants.
As someone once told me, combo pants were made for those who didn't have the money to buy one set of pants for the bases and another for the plate. In other words, for those too cheap to spend money to look professional. Considering how they look on the bases, I think that assessment is correct.