The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Do you find the color of the honigs poly-wool pants the same as the other heather grey ones they carry? They claim they are darker.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

They tend to be a tad darker, as are the Gerry Davis pants, which I personally like better than the Honig's ones.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpbrianc
Do you find the color of the honigs poly-wool pants the same as the other heather grey ones they carry? They claim they are darker.
They are darker like the MLB pants these days. My association requires the darker pant.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
They are darker like the MLB pants these days. My association requires the darker pant.
They look awful with navy shirts, too. Great with black.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanSCS
I'm going to buy a pair of combo pants before the weekend is done, and I need you guys to let me know which ones to buy. Which online source, which style of pants, etc. should I get (considering current price, comfort, quality, fit, etc...all the factors)?

Thanks!
When it comes to bying pants, equipment, and accessories it boils down to one's pocket book.

If you are a member of an association and get paid "market" rates, then I would suggest bying the traditional plate / base pants because Combo pants are not really "Combo"

By that I mean this:

Suppose you are scheduled for a Double Header. Chances are you will bring at least 2 pairs of pants anyway, so the "Combo" Pants will act as a secondary pair the same as if you had plate / base pants to begin with.

If you are a Volunteer or get paid a minimal FEE, then by the Combo Pants. If you are assigned a Double Header do the bases the first game. That way you will still look professional behind the dish for the second game.

My personal preference is the Gerry Davis Pleated base pants and Plate pants.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
I really can't tell when someone has plate, base, or combo pants on. I guess i'm just not looking hard enough.

The only time someone will clearly notice is if they're too tight or you're wearing sears pants.
The pants I was looking to use as base pants are Puritan brand heather gray polyester from Wal-Mart. Is this a big no-no? Sorry, but I'm new at this and need all the advice I can get. I also need to cut costs where I can.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ray
The pants I was looking to use as base pants are Puritan brand heather gray polyester from Wal-Mart. Is this a big no-no? Sorry, but I'm new at this and need all the advice I can get. I also need to cut costs where I can.

Yes, this is a no-no. Most of those types of dress pants are not made for outdoors, so they're very subject to discoloration or wear and tear MUCH easier than pants designed for umpires. Umpire pants are also constructed so you can run/squat in them, so they are much more durable.

Plus, you can tell who bought their pants from wal-mart and who bought umpire pants cuz they just don't look right. It's also a "dress for success" type thing. I was always told "If you dress like a clown, they'll treat you like a clown." So, i highly suggest buying umpire base pants.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
Yes, this is a no-no. Most of those types of dress pants are not made for outdoors, so they're very subject to discoloration or wear and tear MUCH easier than pants designed for umpires. Umpire pants are also constructed so you can run/squat in them, so they are much more durable.

Plus, you can tell who bought their pants from wal-mart and who bought umpire pants cuz they just don't look right. It's also a "dress for success" type thing. I was always told "If you dress like a clown, they'll treat you like a clown." So, i highly suggest buying umpire base pants.

It depends on the manufacturer of the pants. I have heather grey polyester pants for the bases from Pennys that you couldn't tell apart from pants purchased from an equipment supplier.

Tim.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
It depends on the manufacturer of the pants. I have heather grey polyester pants for the bases from Pennys that you couldn't tell apart from pants purchased from an equipment supplier.

Tim.
You could if you didn't buy the cheap ones. The poly-wool will stand out as more durable and professional, even on the bases.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

More durable, maybe. Visually you can't tell the difference until they begin to wear out.

Tim.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Fecheimer Pants

Fecheimer pants are popular around here (not sure if I spelled it correctly). They sell for around $50.
Should last several years if you buy 2 and alternate daily throughout the season.

Last edited by SAump; Thu Dec 21, 2006 at 06:25pm.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 08:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Fechheimer is spelled with two "hh's". However, I have a pair of pants by Fechheimer and the label has only one "h". I suppose they outsource their labels...
Maybe you got stuck with a pair of knockoffs!
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
More durable, maybe. Visually you can't tell the difference until they begin to wear out.

Tim.
Then you obviously have not worn a pair of Honig's poly-wool.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 04:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Then you obviously have not worn a pair of Honig's poly-wool.
All of my plate pants are Honigs poly-wool. Are the base pants much different?

Tim.
Old Fri Dec 22, 2006, 08:39am
M.A.S.H.

Honig's is having their sale right now, too.

I just noticed I got the new catalog for Spring. Looks like they came out with a new shirt color.

I'd ask Tee if he's going to get it, but I know he already has it!