The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man
OK, now you are trying to justify a bad reason for replay and giving another bad reason for replay. Whether McClelland was accurate or innacurate is moot. He made a procedural error and should have been penalized for it. Because he is who he is and Angel is who he is, Timmy got away with his overturn.

Also, the fact that they got together and stuck with Welke's call, no matter how long it took, shows that a human umpire is able to get the tough ones correct once in a while.
My point is simply that had there been an approved procedure in place for checking the replay, the right call could have been ascertained in both the McClelland/Hernandez play, and the Welke play the other night, with no muss, no fuss, no drama, and no doubt.

I can live without your agreement on the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man
If Spezio had been a robot, he would have left no doubt as to wheter he hit a home run or not.

D
I don't have the slightest idea what that means.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 07:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
AND YOU KNOW THIS BECAUSE

It must not work that well as they still have controversy on calls like this and balls down the foul line almost every year. Remember the Jeffrey Meier incident in the Yankees/Orioles series. Guess you forgot the home run they missed in the Series last year that hit above the line. I guess those MLB umpires aren't just as rootin' tootin' bust it out to get a good look as you would be.
I know this because....that is the mechanic. Just as I described it. Where they set up is plenty close to the fence. If they were any closer, it would decrease their field of vision. Experiment with this for yourself. Go to the ballyard, stand where the RF umpire stands. Look at the fence. See large amount of fence. Now go stand by the fence and look at the fence. See small amount of fence.

Everybody misses calls once in a while. Some of us miss fewer than others. Jeffrey Meier had the benefit of Ritchie Garcia, who happened to be running with his head bouncing up and down when the interference occured, as many MLB guys do regularly. I was trained to get as close as possible, with a good angle, and be set when the action happens.

Often I see MLB guys running when they should be setting. I attribute it to them thinking they are better than they really are, and feel that they can get it right while on the move. I am either set or completely under control when I make such a call.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by bob jenkins; Sun Oct 15, 2006 at 07:21pm.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I believe the idea behind the positioning of the LF and RF umpires is to reduce the responsibilities of the 1st and 3rd base umpire by about 50%. Anything at or in front of the LF or RF umpires is the 1st or 3rd base umpires' call. Anything that turns the LF of RF umpires around is their call.
I think the mechanic is "bounding balls" and balls that land in front of U1 /U3 belong to U1 / U3. Fly balls that land past U1 / U3 belong to ULF / URF.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 08:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I think the mechanic is "bounding balls" and balls that land in front of U1 /U3 belong to U1 / U3. Fly balls that land past U1 / U3 belong to ULF / URF.
That's not how I understand the mechanic. My understanding is that fly balls are U1/U3 call up until it passes the LF/RF. I have observed it to be that way, with the LF/RF echoing the call, but U1/U3 with initiating it unless it is past the LF/RF. That was the explanation the other night when LF jumped out of the way, and U3 took the call. It was reported by that umpire to the press box that the mechanic is for the third base umpire to make all calls on fly balls up to the LF umpire, and the LF umpire make all calls on fly balls past him. Perhaps we should ask an MLB umpire to be certain either way.

What's with this?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
I guess those MLB umpires aren't just as rootin' tootin' bust it out to get a good look as you would be.
Or this?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
AND YOU KNOW THIS BECAUSE
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Wow. In the "you learn new things every day" dept....

"You have to have one thousand one when you stop, or it's a balk"
"And your hands have to be in the same spot in front of your body every time you stop or it's a balk."

I'll give you three guesses (and the first two don't count) as to which genius on FOX just said this.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
Wow. In the "you learn new things every day" dept....

"You have to have one thousand one when you stop, or it's a balk"
"And your hands have to be in the same spot in front of your body every time you stop or it's a balk."

I'll give you three guesses (and the first two don't count) as to which genius on FOX just said this.
I'm guessing it wasn't Steve Lyons........
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

I'll tell you this much: I'd much rather listen to Lyons than the moron who actually said the above 2 statements.
Old Sun Oct 15, 2006, 09:33pm

Quote:
I'll tell you this much: I'd much rather listen to Lyons than the moron who actually said the above 2 statements.
I'm not watching the baseball game right now. I'm watching the Raiders look pathetic. But I can bet it's that Braniac Tim McCarver who uttered such words. The next rule interp he gets right will be his first.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Bye Steve, we hardly knew thee...

Quote:
Won't be listening to him any time soon as he was F-I-R-E-D this morning.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
The conference lasted WAY too long, and it was clear that Welke was defending his call against one or more partners who had the same WRONG conclusion about what happened that many of us had seeing the play in realtime. But for Welke's intestinal fortitude in sticking to his guns, we would have been treated to a reversal of the right call to the wrong call, clearly wrong as the whole world had seen numerous replays by the time they finally concluded their minutes long conference.

A couple of years ago Tim McClelland very surprisingly and very WRONGLY overturned an Angel Hernandez call in a playoff game. I'm sorry, but sometimes these guys AREN'T "that good."
I think the conference should last as long as it takes to make sure they get the call right. We blast them for not having a conference and then we blast them saying they are too long. This is game 4 of an NLCS, get the call right no matter how long it takes. This is the exact play where I think they need to use replay! It would have taken a shortly amount of time to check a replay in the situation.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=SanDiegoSteve]So far, only Dave has suggested rethinking replay. I, for one am dead-set against the use of replay, as I'm sure most umpires are.

I am not so sure anymore.

Every BIG Time Sport has replay and it's a matter of time before baseball uses it. especially on the type of play in question.

Replay will not delay the game anymore than when the umpires huddle together. In fact it will probably be faster.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=PeteBooth]
Quote:
So far, only Dave has suggested rethinking replay. I, for one am dead-set against the use of replay, as I'm sure most umpires are.
Quote:

I am not so sure anymore.

Every BIG Time Sport has replay and it's a matter of time before baseball uses it. especially on the type of play in question.

Replay will not delay the game anymore than when the umpires huddle together. In fact it will probably be faster.

Pete Booth

I agree that we should have replay and only for plays such as home run/no home run and fair/foul calls? I am not advocating using it for judgement calls.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=GoodwillRef]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
[I]

I agree that we should have replay and only for plays such as home run/no home run and fair/foul calls? I am not advocating using it for judgement calls.
Those are judgement calls.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Garth, *snicker*, you slay me.

Baseball will have replay when a sufficient number of wealthy owners get sufficiently pissed by bad calls to bring it about. I don't see this happening very soon.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron

Baseball will have replay when a sufficient number of wealthy owners get sufficiently pissed by bad calls to bring it about. I don't see this happening very soon.
I've had a former ML player tell me that when Angel Hernandez boots a fair/foul call that costs Steinbrenner the World Series, instant replay will debut the next season.