The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 03:34pm

Mets/Dodgers

That was the coolest DP I've ever seen! I sitting here laughing and cheering my a$$ off. I detest the Dodgers, naturally.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

haha, i saw that play to. That was kinda bad offensive by the dodgers.. Good to see John Hirshbeck got the calls right, lol
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I am a big Hirschbeck watcher because of his style, strike zone, demoner, and his approach towards the players and managers.

With regards to the plays at the plate....great positioning, and great timing on both calls. Plus......he has established a great strike zone. He is calling strikes and he is keeping the game moving.

Last edited by johnSandlin; Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 04:12pm. Reason: left out a word
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnSandlin
I am a big Hirschbeck watcher because of his style, strike zone, demoner, and his approach towards the players and managers.

With regards to the plays at the plate....great positioning, and great timing on both calls. Plus......he has established a great strike zone. He is calling strikes and he is keeping the game moving.
I saw John beat the hell out of a call at the plate in Boston this year because he seemed to be out of position. Other than that one day, though, I'm a big fan, especiall because of his strike zone.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 04:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnSandlin
With regards to the plays at the plate....great positioning
Yes, I agree. This is the positioning I was referring to months ago when everyone tore me a new one for suggesting to get in close on tag plays.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 05:01pm

Now, I just saw another mechanic which has been generally shot down by certain members of this forum:

On a run that the Mets scored, the runner slid at home and touched the plate with his hand. The throw was a bit late, and up the 3rd base line a little, so there was no tag attempt on the runner. John Hirschbeck "plated" the run by pointing at the plate, indicating that the runner's hand had touched the plate.

Is this the accepted standard mechanic for this play? I usually do the same thing, but after reading many responses concerning the plating of runs, I was wondering if I should stop this practice. I never do it when the runner simply touches the plate standing up, only when he slides and touches the plate with an outstretched hand.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Now, I just saw another mechanic which has been generally shot down by certain members of this forum:

On a run that the Mets scored, the runner slid at home and touched the plate with his hand. The throw was a bit late, and up the 3rd base line a little, so there was no tag attempt on the runner. John Hirschbeck "plated" the run by pointing at the plate, indicating that the runner's hand had touched the plate.

Is this the accepted standard mechanic for this play? I usually do the same thing, but after reading many responses concerning the plating of runs, I was wondering if I should stop this practice. I never do it when the runner simply touches the plate standing up, only when he slides and touches the plate with an outstretched hand.
Hirschbeck was great on the DP. I think one issue on pointing to the plate is consistency. I guess the bad circumstance is where a catcher has to try to remember which umpire points and which doesn't -- the downside is where the catcher expects the signal because another member of the crew has done it, so when he doesn't see it he chases after the runner trying to tag him perhaps needlessly letting a runner advance who would not have.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

Common in a stadium environment where the scorekeeper needs input from PU. Same as signals for pinch hitter, 2-1 changes, etc.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

hmm,

Last time I saw that play Carlton Fisk was the catcher and Dale Berra one of the runners . . .

I had seen the replay 14 times tonight . . . I see nothing the PU did that was remotely wrong . . .

Actually he was perfect.

Regards,

(Edited to name the correct Yogison!)

Last edited by Tim C; Thu Oct 05, 2006 at 09:02am.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Last time I saw that play Carlton Fisk was the catcher and Tim Berra one of the runners . . .

I had seen the replay 14 times tonight . . . I see nothing the PU did that was remotely wrong . . .

Actually he was perfect.

Regards,

It was Bobby Meacham and Dale Berra, Yankees at the time.

Watch the right replay and you'll see the 3B coach just standing there like a lump, signling nothing at all to JD. NO go sign, NO stop sign - nada.

Plenty of time to stop JD. No one's talking about that.

Last edited by Rich Ives; Wed Oct 04, 2006 at 08:45pm.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 08:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Last time I saw that play Carlton Fisk was the catcher and Tim Berra one of the runners . . .
Buck Martinez of the Blue Jays had an almost similar play in the mid-80's. He tagged a player out at the plate, breaking a leg in the process. He then threw to third iirc and took a return throw to tag out a second runner at home- while laying on his back with the broken leg. Helluva play... two tags at home on the same play also....but I don't think that he ever really did recover from that injury.
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

All that play was missing was Tom Berenger at the plate

"Jobu no like curveball"