The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Foul ball - runner has to re-touch

With a runner on 1st batter hits a foul ball . Does the runner on 1st have to re-touch first base before the next pitch ?
From what I remember the umpire should not put the ball back in play until the runner has re-touched 1st ....is this correct ?
If it is correct let's say the runner does not re-touch after a foul ball (and the ump signals to play ball) and on the next pitch the batter hits a gapper which scores the runner from first . Is there any way the defensive team can appeal and the runner be called out for not re-touching after a foul ball ?
I am not sure I totally understand the logic behind re-touching 1st but I am not questioning the logic just curious about being able to appeal.....
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

This should tell you everything you need to know...

Tag up on foul ball not caught

There is no appeal for the defense in this sitch...

Last edited by Snorg; Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 12:14pm.
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendRef
With a runner on 1st batter hits a foul ball . Does the runner on 1st have to re-touch first base before the next pitch ?
From what I remember the umpire should not put the ball back in play until the runner has re-touched 1st ....is this correct ?
If it is correct let's say the runner does not re-touch after a foul ball (and the ump signals to play ball) and on the next pitch the batter hits a gapper which scores the runner from first . Is there any way the defensive team can appeal and the runner be called out for not re-touching after a foul ball ?
I am not sure I totally understand the logic behind re-touching 1st but I am not questioning the logic just curious about being able to appeal.....

Note the absence of a penalty.

The purpose is to get the runners back where they belong before restarting play. Given that runners can lead off, being "close enough" is therefore OK.

The onus is all on the umpires per a strict reading of the rule.
Old Sat Sep 30, 2006, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendRef
The requirement is to prevent (a) the offense from taking an 89' lead before the ball is put in play and having an easy stolen base, and (b) the defense from getting the ball put in play when the runner is 45' away from returning.

As long as bothteams have indicated (by their actions) that the runner is "close enough", put the ball in play; no appeal is allowed.