The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 03, 2006, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

A mechanics question

MLB game the other night, R1 going to third on a base hit to RF.

3BU (Guccione?) is positioned between the bag and coaches' box, direct in line with the throw and runner coming in.

This would seem to be the least advantageous spot to make this call.

Am I wrong ? It just seemed odd to me.

"I never called a balk in my life. I didn't understand the rule" - Ron Luciano
Old Sun Sep 03, 2006, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

The Guys that do this for a living know something.

Putting the base between you and the ball is like starting at the point of the plate for plays at home. This position allows you to adjust to the play as it happens, giving yourself the best angle to see the play. Another benefit is when the the throw is going home with, say, R2 rounding third, if the throw gets cut and thrown to third you don't have to take the throw over your shoulder. In fact, this position is probably the most advantageous position to be in. If you have the opportunity in a 3-man or 4-man game try it sometime. It works well everywhere. Adjust your position so that the base is between you and the ball; from there adjust to the play. Everything stays in front of you; it really gives you quite the look.
Old Sun Sep 03, 2006, 10:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli
Putting the base between you and the ball is like starting at the point of the plate for plays at home. This position allows you to adjust to the play as it happens, giving yourself the best angle to see the play. Another benefit is when the the throw is going home with, say, R2 rounding third, if the throw gets cut and thrown to third you don't have to take the throw over your shoulder. In fact, this position is probably the most advantageous position to be in. If you have the opportunity in a 3-man or 4-man game try it sometime. It works well everywhere. Adjust your position so that the base is between you and the ball; from there adjust to the play. Everything stays in front of you; it really gives you quite the look.
Everyone always wants to "get inside," but outside is really the best place to take a lot of calls. The same is true for U2 on a play at second in a 4-man crew -- outside is a great view on the play.
Old Sun Sep 03, 2006, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli
There was no "adjustment" made by the umpire on this play.

He stayed in foul territory between the base and the coaches box in a straight line with the play.

I do not disagree that working from the outside is indeed an effective method
of positioning to make a call.

My "concern" was the 3BU staying effectively straight-lined to make this call, also putting himself in direct line of the throw.

Old Sun Sep 03, 2006, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbide Keyman
There was no "adjustment" made by the umpire on this play.

He stayed in foul territory between the base and the coaches box in a straight line with the play.

I do not disagree that working from the outside is indeed an effective method
of positioning to make a call.

My "concern" was the 3BU staying effectively straight-lined to make this call, also putting himself in direct line of the throw.
How is this different from taking a play at home on 3BLE?
Old Sun Sep 03, 2006, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Garth ...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
How is this different from taking a play at home on 3BLE?
You are correct, there is no difference.

Also, Happy Birthday, Garth ! And many, many more.