The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Had a situation last night that's gotten me thinking about whether my mechanics were right. Here's what happened.

Two man mechanics. A1 is way in her backcourt bringing the ball up the floor, near T's sideline. I'm L. There's a little bit of pressure, but not too much---6 players, 3 As and 3 Bs, spread out in A's frontcourt, with A2 and B2 near midcourt. I'm near my sideline at about FT line extended. A2 cuts back into A's backcourt near my sideline, A1 throws the ball across the floor to her. B2 goes to guard A2 as she receives the ball. A2 turns and may have done the "Holy cow, there's someone guarding me!" foot shuffle. Problem is, neither of us caught it. I was watching the girls moving around the frontcourt and keeping the sideline in my peripheral vision. I was straightlined by B2, anyway, so I really couldn't have gotten a good look at A2 from where I was standing. Partner didn't make a call---he was also far away and perhaps straightlined by A1 or B1.

My question---should I have been further up towards midcourt? That would have left a lot of players behind me, and I'd be concerned that a pass up T's sideline could have led to an even worse mess under the basket.

Any advice or guidance?

Of course, if we'd been doing three man, C would have been standing right there...
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Lotto, from your description your mechanics were fine. It was your partner's call all the way. He should have maintained a distance behind all players so that on a defensive steal he can still beat B to baseline (I am usually about 8-10 feet) and enough to side so not in way of A's passing lanes or to allow dribbler to be able to retreat if necessary.

When ball went opposite your only responsibility was sideline (ie whether player OB or not). You correctly maintained coverage of your primary area. Great job.

Your partner should have moved nearer to center of court still maintaining 10 second count and responsible for dribbler or player in control in backcourt.

As for 3-man it could have been either C or T in position to see this call.