The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Smile

What is the proper mechanic when a player inbounding the ball steps over the line onto the court before releasing the ball? Also when a player is shooting the ball and another player gets him on the hand or arm which mechanic do you use? Thanks, Mike
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Firemikeb
What is the proper mechanic when a player inbounding the ball steps over the line onto the court before releasing the ball? Also when a player is shooting the ball and another player gets him on the hand or arm which mechanic do you use? Thanks, Mike
1) Stop the clock with an open hand, point the direction and point to the spot.

2) Signal a foul with a fist as usual and then I go to the table and report normally. I don't prelim anything.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 06:52am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
...when a player is shooting the ball and another player gets him on the hand or arm which mechanic do you use?

2) Signal a foul with a fist as usual and then I go to the table and report normally. I don't prelim anything. [/B][/QUOTE]

Snake~eyes,
How 'bout communicating with your partner?
mick

Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

I'll add another quirk to this one. If the player inbounding the ball team is getting blowin out. I usually let it go. Whats the use in penalizing a team getting blowin out. Advantage/Disadvantage IMO.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

2) Signal a foul with a fist as usual and then I go to the table and report normally. I don't prelim anything. [/B]
Snake~eyes,
are you not required to give a preliminary signal in FED?
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 10:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by chrs_schuster
I'll add another quirk to this one. If the player inbounding the ball team is getting blowin out. I usually let it go. Whats the use in penalizing a team getting blowin out. Advantage/Disadvantage IMO.
Well, the NFHS certainly disagrees with your reasoning, Chris. They want it called- no exceptions.

Case book play 9.2.5 COMMENT:
"Whether or not there was defensive pressure or whether or not stepping on the court was inadvertent, it is a violation and no judgement is required in making the call".

Iirc, the NCAA rulesmakers also issued something saying that they wanted this play called exactly the same way that the NFHS wants it called. Iow, just call the violation.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 10:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Well, the NFHS certainly disagrees with your reasoning, Chris. They want it called- no exceptions.

"Whether or not there was defensive pressure or whether or not stepping on the court was inadvertent, it is a violation and no judgement is required in making the call".

Iirc, the NCAA rulesmakers also issued something saying that they wanted this play called exactly the same way that the NFHS wants it called. Iow, just call the violation.
Yeah, but I don't have to be looking in a 30 point game, do I?
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by truerookie
Quote:

2) Signal a foul with a fist as usual and then I go to the table and report normally. I don't prelim anything.
Snake~eyes,
are you not required to give a preliminary signal in FED? [/B]
Mechanics Manual says prelim on everyfoul, I do not do this nor have I ever had anyone say anything aobut it to me. I also have never seen someone prelim on every foul.

I choose to prelim on situations where I think it is necessary, block/charge, handcheck, occasionally a hold. I very rarely will prelim when a shooter is fouled.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
...when a player is shooting the ball and another player gets him on the hand or arm which mechanic do you use?

Snake~eyes,
How 'bout communicating with your partner?
mick

[/B][/QUOTE]
If it is a spot, I will say spot and point to where I want the ball to be brought in. If we are shooting I usually verbally say two shots. Most of the times it is obvious shooting situation, when it is not obvious I will vebally and visually signal two at the spot of the foul.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 12:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Yeah, but I don't have to be looking in a 30 point game, do I?
Imo this is a question that you should ask your supervisor. I don't whether you have one available in Wisconsin, Rich, but for a college conference or high school games elsewhere through an assignor, I think you should really find out how the supervisor wants it called. In our area, we tell our officials just to call it- no brainer. That's because everybody in the gym can see that one- there's no judgment involved. It's like an in-bounds player with the ball stepping on a boundary line. In other areas, maybe the officials are instructed to handle it otherwise and maybe ignore it in a blow-out. I would imagine that any college conference- say Big 10- would let their officials know what they want re: this particular call though.