Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Circular argument...nonsensical, too.
No it's not. The guy is simply saying that at this level, pitchers can throw strikes. Therefore, the umpires need not call the "regular season, regular 12 yearold" strikezone, which includes calling pitches that are essentially unhittable strikes. Some (not all, but some) of these LLWS PU's are still calling zones like you have to call in LL minors when the 5th string pitcher is in. I've seen a ton of low and away or just way outside pitches called strikes in this weekend's games. The guy you're accusing of circular reasoning is simply saying those kind of calls only make the hitters' jobs go from already difficult to nearly impossible. In some of these games, he's right.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
With so many umpire around, it's probably not needed.

Six umpires on the tiny field reminds me of Lance's "Mechanics for the 13 umpire system," in which you've got the traditional four umpires, plus one for each fielder. Now THAT'S officiating!

Talk about 'shopping for a call'
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
No it's not. The guy is simply saying that at this level, pitchers can throw strikes. Therefore, the umpires need not call the "regular season, regular 12 yearold" strikezone, which includes calling pitches that are essentially unhittable strikes. Some (not all, but some) of these LLWS PU's are still calling zones like you have to call in LL minors when the 5th string pitcher is in. I've seen a ton of low and away or just way outside pitches called strikes in this weekend's games. The guy you're accusing of circular reasoning is simply saying those kind of calls only make the hitters' jobs go from already difficult to nearly impossible. In some of these games, he's right.
Agreed, thanks for translation

The zone is as big as Montana.....ridiculous. I can't understand why the coaches put up with it (can't bel I said that )

I know they have been 'warned' not to b!tch on TV, but cmon. Some of these kids are going down on pitches you couldnt touch with a telephone pole. Sad.

In a LL game (s) with hitters this good, if every other game goes regulation with a 0-0 tie (which it seems like is the case), then you know the zone is too liberal.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

You all might be right about the over-generous strike zone, but those pitchers' duels move fast, and ESPN loves 'em! Keeps the games under 2 hours every time!
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
You all might be right about the over-generous strike zone, but those pitchers' duels move fast, and ESPN loves 'em! Keeps the games under 2 hours every time!
LL games are only 6 innings; a game played at this level should finish under 2 hours easily without any help from an inappropriate strikezone. If the teams aren't evenly matched, as in some of the international games played this weekend, the 10 run rule comes to the rescue.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

That's the biggest complaint I have about the umpiring behind the plate this year,they are making the zone WAY to wide.Like it's already been said some of the called strikes you couldn't have hit without a five foot bat.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
Thanks Dave.

Also, as a coach/father of a team that participated in the SE regional, I was much more impressed, (no, not impressed, less disgusted maybe) with the crews in Florida than what I am seeing in W'port.

midtnblu (AKA the guy with circular reasoning)
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
But since I'm doing older kids that can often run down to first in a little over four seconds, I don't feel bad getting that far. Especially since I have to clear the batter and catcher. I'm just trying to get to a point where I have an angle of some sort and close as possible to see a swipe tag. I'm talking two man, not what you see on TV. Just following with no one on anyway. I doubt any pro umpire will get to the 45 ft. line line with Ichiro running. Frank Thomas maybe, for the younger ones.

I doubt very seriously you ever could or can now out run me in a foot race.

No brag, just fact...............
You have to clear the batter? I thought he was way out in front of you!
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 01:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
But since I'm doing older kids that can often run down to first in a little over four seconds, I don't feel bad getting that far. Especially since I have to clear the batter and catcher. I'm just trying to get to a point where I have an angle of some sort and close as possible to see a swipe tag. I'm talking two man, not what you see on TV. Just following with no one on anyway. I doubt any pro umpire will get to the 45 ft. line line with Ichiro running. Frank Thomas maybe, for the younger ones.

I doubt very seriously you ever could or can now out run me in a foot race.

No brag, just fact...............
You umpire games with Ichiro? Most of my game involve players which aren't as fast as Ichiro. I am usually very close to the 45 ft. line, set, straddling the grass line, and watching the play at first, when the runner arrives at the base. I am not slow-footed in the least.

PWL, I know you played minor league ball, but I wouldn't assume that I could never have beaten you in a race. You don't know how fast I was in my younger, skin-and-bones days.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Japan vs. Mexico...top of the 5th: Why was the batter-runner awarded third on the ball that was thrown from the infield and lodged in the tarp? He had rounded second before the ump called time, but isn't it two bases from time of pitch on first throw from the infield? Am I missing something here?
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

While watching the game between Japan and Mexico, it's apparent that to get to the LLWS, you don't really need to know the rules either. Case in point:
Top of the fifth. 1 out. No runners on base. BR hits a ground ball to the infield, F5 fields and throws it past F3 and out of play. BR awarded third base. After the "crew" gets together to talk the award over, they agree that BR belongs on third because he was past first "when the ball went out of play."

These guy's not only look like s#!t, they don't know the basic rules.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits
Japan vs. Mexico...top of the 5th: Why was the batter-runner awarded third on the ball that was thrown from the infield and lodged in the tarp? He had rounded second before the ump called time, but isn't it two bases from time of pitch on first throw from the infield? Am I missing something here?
See my post.... I wish I could type faster...
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Guess I'm not the only one questioning the call!

I love the announcers praising the call, too!
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Why was there no question from the defensive manager? Are the coaches chained to the bench in Williamsport or what?
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Andy, Andy, Andy.....

Konyer can't blame anyboy else anymore. Regionals had the best umpiring seen in LL. LLWS assignments obviously have nothing to do with ability, performance or even intelligence.

It should be embarrassing to LL HQ to be shown up by the Regionals. If Andy get figure this out, he needs to be replaced by someone who can. Watching LLWS is the only time I find myself siding with Rats and being amazed at how well behaved they can be.