The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 07:15pm

Now Eric Karros is saying he's very consistent. Get a clue, Eric. Consistently bad, maybe.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

This guy is terrible!

He totally butchered that 1/2 inning.

Did you see 1U call no-swing before PU had actually asked?

Yeah, what is that "got him" crap.
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

I find it utterly impossible to enjoy watching these games because of the Smitty factor. I can't seem to watch anything but these goofs during the LLWS!
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 07:57pm

Here we have a kid throwing 75 MPH from 46 ft. Then, if that isn't hard enough to hit the ball when it's in the zone, we have this guy working the plate that wants to be the show, calling them 6 inches outside as strikes. Then, the very next pitch is maybe an inch outside, belt high, and he calls it a ball.

Hey, during this rain delay, they are showing the game from earlier today. Is it just on my set, or is the info box in the top left of the screen missing from the picture except the bottom right corner? What is up with that?
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Steve, I think its just yours..also, I am sure that the umpire/umpires do NOT want to be the show in these games...at the same time they probably understand that these kids arent big league players, like you seem to think they are. You dont want pitches called strikes that they kids cant hit...how long do you think games would take it they decided to "not be the show" and called a rule book strike zone?! Id guess a long, long time. And then they would accidentally become the show trying not to be the show....get it? great.
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Can't agree with you there OA,

There have already been games that have lasted too long because teams can't score runs because the pitching is dominant due to 2 reasons:

Pitching is very good and strike zones are huge.
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtnblu
Can't agree with you there OA,

Pitching is very good and strike zones are huge.

Makes no sense. If pitching is so good, why are strike zones huge?
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Makes complete sense. Keep up.

Pitching is good so they don't need to expand the zone, but they are, which is resulting in the pitching being dominant.

Didn't think it was that difficult to understand.
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 09:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeump
Steve, I think its just yours..also, I am sure that the umpire/umpires do NOT want to be the show in these games...at the same time they probably understand that these kids arent big league players, like you seem to think they are. You dont want pitches called strikes that they kids cant hit...how long do you think games would take it they decided to "not be the show" and called a rule book strike zone?! Id guess a long, long time. And then they would accidentally become the show trying not to be the show....get it? great.
I really don't think it was just on my TV. You probably weren't watching anyway, since it sounds like you weren't from the way you're talking to me.

Why do you think that I don't know the difference between big league players and these kids. That is just plain stupid on your part to even suggest that. Don't talk down to people, it is impolite.

No, I don't want pitches called strikes that the players can't reach. They are having a hard enough time hitting strikes, without having to hit pitches that are in the opposite batter's box.

The Smitty working the plate on this particular game has a horribly inconsistent strike zone, poor timing with left handed hitters, and a very confusing ball and strike vocal, with both sounding very similar in duration and tone. And he says "got him!" on swinging strike 3. The "show" comment came from that, not his zone.

As far as having a big wide zone goes, that is really neat for working a Junior League game, where 13 year-olds are throwing from 60'6" away. But from 46 ft. they need to hit spots just like the big guys do. And they do. Sure, they get a bit more on the edges, but not the ridiculous zone that this guy was calling.

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Sat Aug 19, 2006 at 09:37pm.
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

It wasn't just your TV SDS.
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
And, he uses different timing on left handed and right handed hitters. He has this delayed strike call with a point on right handers, but on lefties he calls strike much faster because he uses less footwork and a hammer. He is very inconsistent too.

I'm sitting here yelling at my TV on some of the outside the zone strikes he's calling. Can't hit those pitches with a 6 foot bat.

And what's with that "got him!" call on swinging strike 3? A bit over the top, IMO.

Smitty at first base is going to call a runner out one of these days while F3 is dropping the ball. Weak looking mechanics as well.
Alll of the above, plus "THAT'S A CHECK!" when what he really means to be saying is "that's a swing" or "that's an offer." He thinks "check" is synonymous with "swing," when it's the opposite.

That one was my favorite.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 12:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Doesn't anyone actually ever watch the game being played?

This is just like when Evel Knivel tried to jump the Snake River Canyon. I don't think folks were there to actually see if he could make it. I believe they were more interested in what it would look like when he failed. The fans weren't success driven, the wanted to see a good blood letting.

Something along the lines of a good beheading or hanging.

Gives us dirty laundry...........
Umpires always watch the umpires and critique their work. Like Monk says, it's a blessing and a curse.

I tried giving an umpire's perspective at a Padres fan site last year, and nearly got tarred and feathered for "leading with my umpireness," as the chief complaintant put it. He told me that it must be sad to see things from an umpire's point of view. I guess that's what he means. It is hard to sit back and enjoy games when all we do is watch the umpires.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 08:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

So, nobody watching the IL/NY game? I don't know where to start with this plate umpire, but I hope he's enjoying his lifetime participation award.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Is there some sort of LL mechanic that prohibits PU from going up the first baseline on balls batted in the infield? I haven't seen any of these LLWS guys do this and really am curious about it...
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
So, nobody watching the IL/NY game? I don't know where to start with this plate umpire, but I hope he's enjoying his lifetime participation award.
I've been watching it some. I couldn't believe the blown call by the 1B Ump on the pulled foot at 1B in the top of the 3rd when the IL runner was called out. I also was surprised that the IL mgr. didn't politely appeal to the U1 to get help. Maybe he realized it would have been futile.

JM
Closed Thread