Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
So, nobody watching the IL/NY game? I don't know where to start with this plate umpire, but I hope he's enjoying his lifetime participation award.
Yes.....I feel bad for him he looks so stupid.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 09:03pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
Is there some sort of LL mechanic that prohibits PU from going up the first baseline on balls batted in the infield? I haven't seen any of these LLWS guys do this and really am curious about it...
No, there is no prohibiting mechanic.
Some umps go and some do not.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 09:04pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
So, nobody watching the IL/NY game? I don't know where to start with this plate umpire, but I hope he's enjoying his lifetime participation award.
Good call, Rich.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Yeah, another throwback to the days of yesteryear!
Watching the NY/IL game, this seems to be a standard mechanic. The first
base umpire, (who is either female or Phil Mickelson ), has been doing it all
night. Also, what's with bringing up the left arm to the right elbow, making
a right angle ? That looks like a softball mechanic to me. Ugly.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here is a start:

His head was way too low.
He moved on every pitch.
He really moved if he thought the pitch was going to hit him.
He called the pitches way to fast.
He pointed on strikes and they looked terrible as he didn't extend his arm out all the way.
Sometimes he pointed while he was still crouched down.
He didn't verbalize his "ball" calls (he did do it sometimes but he said the location...he would say nothing but "outside")
For strike three calls the only thing he said was "batter's out", and he gave some weak looking hammer with his left fist touching his right elbow.
He stood at a 45 degree angle to the plate when he dusted it off.
There was one HBP where it just hit the batter's shirt, and all he did was put his right hand up in the air like 2 seconds after the pitch and he said nothing.
There was a half swing which he called a strike. He said nothing and signaled it by doing that weak hammer and then pointing.
He didn't take his mask off for plays at the plate.
He did that weak looking hammer when he called a guy out at the plate on a close play, and he didn't verbalize the out call.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 09:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpduck11
Watching the NY/IL game, this seems to be a standard mechanic. The first
base umpire, (who is either female or Phil Mickelson ), has been doing it all
night. Also, what's with bringing up the left arm to the right elbow, making
a right angle ? That looks like a softball mechanic to me. Ugly.
This one's easy. She was holding her arm up.
Old Sun Aug 20, 2006, 09:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB
Here is a start:

His head was way too low.
He moved on every pitch.
He really moved if he thought the pitch was going to hit him.
He called the pitches way to fast.
He pointed on strikes and they looked terrible as he didn't extend his arm out all the way.
Sometimes he pointed while he was still crouched down.
He didn't verbalize his "ball" calls (he did do it sometimes but he said the location...he would say nothing but "outside")
For strike three calls the only thing he said was "batter's out", and he gave some weak looking hammer with his left fist touching his right elbow.
He stood at a 45 degree angle to the plate when he dusted it off.
There was one HBP where it just hit the batter's shirt, and all he did was put his right hand up in the air like 2 seconds after the pitch and he said nothing.
There was a half swing which he called a strike. He said nothing and signaled it by doing that weak hammer and then pointing.
He didn't take his mask off for plays at the plate.
He did that weak looking hammer when he called a guy out at the plate on a close play, and he didn't verbalize the out call.
YU.P., yU.P.
But LDUB, how 'bout that missed bunt attempt and the throw to second ? --> no signal and then mumbled "strike" two minutes later.

What about the announcers selling the Big League play by the second baseman, when U2 probably called R1 out of the baseline?

What about how the game ended? That game was a toilet bowl.
mick
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 12:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Those kids are pretty fast and the bases are only 60 ft. I don't think they would get more than a few feet down the line judging from the age and shape of most. They probably wouldn't be in position in time to be much of a help to begin with.

I don't know how other PU do on a 90 ft. diamond, but I try to get to at least 30 to 40 ft. down the line. I feel like if I'm running too hard I won't be able to concentrate, slow down and see to make a call if if I'm practically chasing the runner down the line.
Hell, even I can get to the 45 ft. line. PWL, the young bucks these days end up practically at first base. Face it, you're too damn old. You're supposed to be set for the call anyway, not chasing anyone down the line.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Those kids are pretty fast and the bases are only 60 ft. I don't think they would get more than a few feet down the line judging from the age and shape of most. They probably wouldn't be in position in time to be much of a help to begin with.

I don't know how other PU do on a 90 ft. diamond, but I try to get to at least 30 to 40 ft. down the line. I feel like if I'm running too hard I won't be able to concentrate, slow down and see to make a call if if I'm practically chasing the runner down the line.
I get down there--many opportunities for pulled feets, etc. Heck, it's LL. Especially in two-man where U1 is making calls at 1B from deep B. I went to PU for help with F3's feets at least twice this post-season.

Before you ask "why" here, any LL vet will tell you that when there's ANY runner on base, you can never bet on where a LL infielder will play a grounder--no matter what the level of ball.

BTW, the plate ump for the NY/IL game wouldn't get a 3B job in my District. Is it, as somene elegantly said here, "the lifetime achievement award."

Ace
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
YU.P., yU.P.
But LDUB, how 'bout that missed bunt attempt and the throw to second ? --> no signal and then mumbled "strike" two minutes later.

What about the announcers selling the Big League play by the second baseman, when U2 probably called R1 out of the baseline?

What about how the game ended? That game was a toilet bowl.
mick
And one of the players yelling "we need one more F*@$ing run," then the coach slapping the player.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is there some sort of LL mechanic that prohibits PU from going up the first baseline on balls batted in the infield? I haven't seen any of these LLWS guys do this and really am curious about it...
That's not typically covered in the first year of LL umpire training, and many of these umpires only have one year of experience. Some of them as many as 30 times, but still only one year.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtnblu
Makes complete sense. Keep up.

Pitching is good so they don't need to expand the zone, but they are, which is resulting in the pitching being dominant.

Didn't think it was that difficult to understand.

Circular argument...nonsensical, too.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
With so many umpire around, it's probably not needed.

Six umpires on the tiny field reminds me of Lance's "Mechanics for the 13 umpire system," in which you've got the traditional four umpires, plus one for each fielder. Now THAT'S officiating!
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
I've been watching it some. I couldn't believe the blown call by the 1B Ump on the pulled foot at 1B in the top of the 3rd when the IL runner was called out. I also was surprised that the IL mgr. didn't politely appeal to the U1 to get help. Maybe he realized it would have been futile.

JM
My speculation is the coaches have been ordered to refrain from any arguments with umpires, and the coach was just too intimidated by that environment to even make a justified and polite request for U1 to seek help. She surely needed it.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

How about the blown call in the St Charles game at 1B? Runner was clearly safe, got banged out after F6 went into the hole. Good play, but not "WebGems' material IMO. Runner was clearly safe.

Karros says the usual bromide, "Well, if its a good defensive play, then if the play at 1B is at all close the ump is going to call you out."
Closed Thread