The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Seriously, are the managers not allowed to question these morons or what? Whats the deal?
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 02:09pm

With Orel, Eric, and Orestis, I'm beginning to miss Harold already! I think he may have had a clue that the umpires kicked the ruling.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 02:33pm

That commercial for LL Baseball volunteers shows the umpire walking off the field shaking hands (or holding hands) with the coach after the game. I guess stuff like this is what makes some umpires feel the need to go around shaking hands after games.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
While watching the game between Japan and Mexico, it's apparent that to get to the LLWS, you don't really need to know the rules either. Case in point:
Top of the fifth. 1 out. No runners on base. BR hits a ground ball to the infield, F5 fields and throws it past F3 and out of play. BR awarded third base. After the "crew" gets together to talk the award over, they agree that BR belongs on third because he was past first "when the ball went out of play."
Now I can look forward to a coach wanting this call for his runner next year and at some point of the arguement he'll say, "You're wrong, I saw this same thing during the world series last year and the runner was awarded third!"
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Say it ain't so!

Joe Morgan for the finals???
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

I'll say it again, just to make the point: Umpiring in the LL WS (Williamsport) will be 5-10 years behind regions in quality.

The waiting list is that long (One needs to do state, then a regional or two before being put on the waiting list). Right now it's a 5-10 year wait between placement on the WS approved list and actually being called. 3-5 years for other age groups and all softball.

This was been an agenda item at the last LL Congress (My guess would be the last several too) and was shot down (Failed to even get to a vote).

IMO they should take the top x rated umpires from the last two years regionals for next year. Add in a mix of the good old boys for line umpires and perhaps bases & move forward. Umpires would need the advance notice in most cases, as doing a regional then WS would mean at least three if not four weeks away from work and family. Even if this was a paid gig (Ha ha) that would be too much for most folks.

A mechanics change or two would be good but that's a whole different thread .....
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1
I'll say it again, just to make the point: Umpiring in the LL WS (Williamsport) will be 5-10 years behind regions in quality.

The waiting list is that long (One needs to do state, then a regional or two before being put on the waiting list).

Wow. Do your time, bust your can, then wait on a list 5-10 years for the 'privilege' of having your reputation sullied on national TV by association with uber-Smittys.

{sarcasm} Where do I sign up? {/sarcasm}
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1
IMO they should take the top x rated umpires from the last two years regionals for next year. Add in a mix of the good old boys for line umpires and perhaps bases & move forward. thread .....

X-Rated umpires, how does one get on that list?
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Andy, Andy, Andy.....

Konyer can't blame anyboy else anymore. Regionals had the best umpiring seen in LL. LLWS assignments obviously have nothing to do with ability, performance or even intelligence.

It should be embarrassing to LL HQ to be shown up by the Regionals. If Andy get figure this out, he needs to be replaced by someone who can. Watching LLWS is the only time I find myself siding with Rats and being amazed at how well behaved they can be.
I agree totally. My son has enjoyed watching all of the games, and I have tried to not say much and even he has commented on the umpires.

Most typical, "daddy that's not even close to a strike"

And he's only eight!

Thanks
David
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 03:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by left coast
X-Rated umpires, how does one get on that list?
You have to attend the Ron Jeremy Academy Of Professional X-rated Umpiring.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
You have to attend the Ron Jeremy Academy Of Professional X-rated Umpiring.
Ok, I deserved that one!

I meant to say X number of umpires
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 03:58pm

The combination of moving the fences back to 225' and the dominant pitching has resulted in 8 shutouts so far, proving the old axiom that good pitching will stop good hitting.
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Player and coach reprimanded

Quote:
And one of the players yelling "we need one more F*@$ing run," then the coach slapping the player.
Player & Coach Reprimanded
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
The combination of moving the fences back to 225' and the dominant pitching has resulted in 8 shutouts so far, proving the old axiom that good pitching will stop good hitting.

Good pitching + Eric Gregg strike zone*2 = no hitting
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 04:24pm

Yeah, I forgot to add the huge zones into the mix.
Closed Thread