The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

I agree with socal on this one.

PU didn't seem to have a preferred head height. At times it seemed as though he was peeking around F2 to get a look. One of the most obvious to me was the indicator and mask in the right hand.

As for the sniping, I watch these guys for selfish reasons... to learn. That is to say, when I see their mistakes, I note that it doesn't look good and I don't want to be giulty of the same infraction.

Case in point, this same PU pointed at the batter on every swinging strike. It doesn't effect the game but just looks bad. I know that I'm guilty of the same thing at times, but seeing it will certainly help me break this bad habit.
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete in AZ
Had my laughs at the camel toe site, but I want to ask; what is the rotation on a six man system? The PU is supposed to come up to where on a 60' field?
Different crews are using different rotations. Some are having U2 go out on flyballs in the V (which I like). U3 is then covering 2b. Some crews have PU come up the line and cover 3b and have U1 rotate home. Other crews are having LFU come in to cover 3b. Other crews are just having LFU and RFU cover all flyballs and keeping the infield umps at their bases.
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadman15241
Other crews are having LFU come in to cover 3b.
I have never heard of this mechanic before. Is this something that is a directive from various LL Regional offices?
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 09:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
I have never heard of this mechanic before. Is this something that is a directive from various LL Regional offices?
It's a standard 6-man rotation -- actually, the only six-man rotation if you use ULF.

U2 goes out, U3 covers second, ULF covers third.
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
It's a standard 6-man rotation -- actually, the only six-man rotation if you use ULF.

U2 goes out, U3 covers second, ULF covers third.
WOW... even on a big field? That seems like a lot of running for ULF. I'll take your word for it Rich... actually I'm going to grab a manual right quick...

(dead space to represent my digging out the CCA book)

Oh... hmmm.... learn something new every day! Thanks Rich.
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 09:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
WOW... even on a big field? That seems like a lot of running for ULF. I'll take your word for it Rich... actually I'm going to grab a manual right quick...

(dead space to represent my digging out the CCA book)

Oh... hmmm.... learn something new every day! Thanks Rich.
Actually, ULF doesn't work too much deeper than U3 in 6-man. Certainly in far enough to cover third if U2 goes out and U3 covers second.

The other rotation I've seen used is ignoring the line umpires and having U2 go out, U3 cover second, PU cover third, and U1 cover the plate (just like 4 man). While this boxes in every fly ball where U2 goes out, it seems like too much unnecessary rotation with 6 umpires.
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
6 man coverage, itself, seems unnecessary with 60' bases. In one game, ULF and U3 were positioned close enough to have shaken hands.
Garth,

It is. LL uses 6 so they can get as many umpires the "Regional/World Series experience".
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peruvian
Oh, good grief, I saw the third base umpire do that and almost s*** my pants. LL management mandates that?!?!
I think it's ESPN that wants this.

BTW, the only time I saw a base whisked was when the breakaway top popped off and, following the manufacturers instructions, the base plate was cleaned before the top is snapped back on.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Rich,

The 6 umpire deal at regionals started way before ESPN.

I can understand a brush with the new style break away bases. No other way to clean it out except a hose.

I can just see the backpack water pack on Lance now ...
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 07:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1
Rich,

The 6 umpire deal at regionals started way before ESPN.

I can understand a brush with the new style break away bases. No other way to clean it out except a hose.

I can just see the backpack water pack on Lance now ...
Our best field has magnetic breakaways and the bottom is held in place with a traditional peg. No need for a brush.

Besides, the umpires should be calling for a groundskeeper when the bases come out.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Our best field has magnetic breakaways and the bottom is held in place with a traditional peg. No need for a brush.

Besides, the umpires should be calling for a groundskeeper when the bases come out.
Rich,

Not all leagues are smart enough to use the magnetic style (IMO the best choice of all). Many are using the old type break-away bases that have a large square hollow receptacle on the peg & male end on the actual base. When these fill with dirt it's a pain clean out. Of course these are the fields that have no staffing and usually nothing more than a rake & drag. It's use a brush or stop playing.

Now using the brush on the base is a whole different animal.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 02:01pm

Quote:
Oh waiter....could you bring me a Perrier while the grounds crew is cleaning the base?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 07:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Oh waiter....could you bring me a Perrier while the grounds crew is cleaning the base?
I walk away from it....I'm serious. Let a coach or player fix it if there's no grounds crew.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Why? Fix it and get the game moving again.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 11:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFump
Why? Fix it and get the game moving again.
Because I'm an umpire, not a groundskeeper. I thought I had already covered this.