The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I am the umpire in chief for my town. My 16 year olds can get patched and join the union. We allow thirteen year olds to umpire the 9-12 year olds. I want to start a patch junior umpire program in our town. I would like to reward the kids who complete this course and pass the test with an umpires shirt with a little league umpire patch on the sleeve. i have seen this patch but cannot find anywhere to purchase them. I have searched the official little league page and all of their official suppliers. i have also scoured the internet. Does anyone know where I could purchase these? Thanks, Ray
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Honigs sells the individual patches for like $3.95 or so, so do a few other places. i saw it in the catalog, not in the website.

+POS makes the official LL shirts with the LL patch on the left sleeve and the reverse flag on the right sleeve and LL embroidery above the shirt pocket. they dont have these on the website, only the catalog, but call them...the shirts are like $30.95 i think (price of patches and sewing costs like $12 but you dont see any increase from the regular plain shirts because they do it as a courtesy to LL umpires for free).
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Bravo

Quote:
Originally posted by milfordumpireinchief
I am the umpire in chief for my town. My 16 year olds can get patched and join the union. We allow thirteen year olds to umpire the 9-12 year olds. I want to start a patch junior umpire program in our town. I would like to reward the kids who complete this course and pass the test with an umpires shirt with a little league umpire patch on the sleeve. i have seen this patch but cannot find anywhere to purchase them. I have searched the official little league page and all of their official suppliers. i have also scoured the internet. Does anyone know where I could purchase these? Thanks, Ray
Ray,

I think your post is outstanding. Sometimes we lose focus on these LISTSERVS and BOARDS as to why we are here. Sure, maybe we're bored, or maybe it's raining out, and some just like to be argumentative. I think for most of us our presence here is about becoming better at a profession or avocation. Regardless whether you umpire for pay of for free to pass that skill and responsibility to a young teenager is commendable. I remember long before I became an umpire watching a 13 yr old umpire in the neighborhood Little League. I thought he was learning some important life lessons.

Good luck with your program. Do you have an awards ceremony for the new rookie umps in which you present their patches?
Jim/NYC
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

You can order the patches from Little League, although they are not found in the merchandise section of the http://www.littleleague.org website. Instead, you have to go to Forms and Policies section and then the League and District Forms subsection. Scroll down and you will find the Patch Order Form as PDF file you can print and send in. The patches cost $1 each.

http://www.littleleague.org/forms/leagueforms

Good luck.

Nick

Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

You'll need to supply your league number when ordering the patches.

If you don't know it ask the pres.

Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 05:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Goods post Jim in NYC and great idea UIC.
I took over as umpire coordinator for a rec ball league in my area. It is a "sub group" of a overall league that I handle. I have to deal with the fact that some of the board members of the "higher level" are, to me, nothing but egomaniacs who claim to do things "for the kids" but will break their own rules while "handling" situations (how many leagues let a kid in a hard arm cast play with no padding nor a doctors note??). In addition, during the recent chanpionship tourney that is run after the spring season, I had so many lies spread about me that I was totally ready to walk away from the whole thing. But I am staying for atleast one more year for the simple fact that I have a number of 13-18 year old kids calling ball for me. I want to teach them the ins and outs of being a blue and hopefully fall in love with it like I have so they will go on to call in their adult lives. If any of my kids are picked to call in the "Ego tourney" I will tell them to just worry about calling the best they can and blow off the rest of the stupidity. I know I will not subject myself to it again.. I can call better ball at better pay they what they offer without the crap.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to blarson
Join the LL umpire Registry

You'll get copies of all LL rules books / casebook. A patch and a years subscription to Fairball, a newsletter for LL umpires.

You can also order additional books and patches when you join.

Patches direct from LL are are $1 I believe.

You wouldn't happen to be in Milford, PA would you?

Bob