The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Thumbs down

Guys, I started the thread concerning threats against an umpire...http://www.officialforum.com/showthread.php?postid=246068#post246068

Here is the story:
R2, R3, 1 out. Fly ball to F8. Catch for out #2. R3 tags and scores. F8 throws to 2nd and gets out #3 on R2 who did not tag. PU scores run. Coach argues and says "you are an idiot." Buh-bye.

here is a copy of the email I sent to the league...please share your comments.

----
- 2 people were ejected, #6 and #21, for unsportsmanlike conduct. #21 stated something to the effect of "You are stupid...insane", etc. #6 stated something similar.

- After the ejections, the assistant coach came out of the dugout and began to argue. He was told to remove #6 and #21 from the field and attempted to do so.

- #6 left the field and sat down the right field line for the remainder of the game and had no further interaction with either team or umpires.

- After leaving the field, #21 came onto the field twice to argue and carrying a cell phone attempting to create a conversation between the umpires and the league director. At this point #21 and the assistant coach were warned that #21 should leave the field or there would be a forfeit.

- Direct quote from UIC's report:

#21 also was saying he wouldn't leave, he'd go to a step outside the dugout and say it was public property and he'd do as he f----ing well pleased- oh, and in fact, this was his field, so he could tell us to get our asses off if he wanted to. At this point we should have forfeited the game, but I didn't for a couple reasons...#21 made a comment about seeing me in the parking lot (these guys are rednecks, I was honestly a little worried about my butt if I left the field.) Also, it was top of the seventh, 4-2, the Deerz needed three outs to end the game. I didn't want to call the game without someone like the Police there, honestly. So I went down to Gary, who was running the concession stand (a fellow umpire), and had him call the local police. We didn't start again until after they got there. They came out on the field, #21 followed them, I just told them #21 had been ejected and was not leaving the area, like he should. They went over in the street and were talking to him so we started again.

- After the game started back up, #21 was told to leave the dugout area 3 different times.

- Another quote from the UIC's report:

As for me, I do believe that's the last men's league I do for now...Alan, it's not worth it for me to go do that ball, and have to deal with all the prima-dona crap that goes on...men's league will continue to lose quality officials when crap like that goes on, and we know going into a game that it will probably happen sometime during that day.

My thoughts:

- The ejections were justified and the assistant coach and #6 conducted themselves appropriately.

- The actions of #21 are an embarrassment to the MSBL and the Cardinals. In addition, his actions replicate a spoiled 14 yr old instead of a grown man.

- I understand the requirement that #21, as a representative of the league, should remain at the ball park. By hanging out at the dugout, he created the appearance that he was attempting to participate in the game as a manager.

- In some states, merely threatening an umpire is a felony. In Arkansas, it is a Class A misdemeanor.

Arkansas Cod. Ann. Section 5-13-209 provides: Any person, with the purpose of causing physical injury to another person, who shall strike or otherwise physically abuse an athletic contest official immediately prior to, during, or immediately following an interscholastic, intercollegiate, or any other organized amateur or professional athletic contest in which the athletic contest official is participating shall be guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

- #6 should serve his one game suspension in accordance with the MSBL rules.

- #21 should be suspended for the remainder of the season for threatening an umpire.

There are two things that concern me over this issue. First, BUNWA had been assured that this type of stuff was over. In every other league that BUNWA provides umpires for, there is an administrator that represents the interests of the league, PRESENT at the field. That administrator handles situations such as the one that occurred in Siloam Springs. I understand that you can't be at every field, every day. However, there are other board members that can share the duties. Their presence goes a significant distance towards relieving many of the concerns expressed by the members of BUNWA. I accepted a gentlemen's agreement that participants in the league would conduct themselves appropriately. It is apparent, after the last several weeks that the members of the league don't care about the agreement that exists between our two organizations.

Second, the childish shenanigans by several of the MSBL players are running off the best umpires from your league. I, and my umpires understand that a manager is going to work an umpire in order to attempt to obtain an advantage. That is baseball. However, the players and managers continue to show a lack of understanding about proper conduct on the baseball field or in other words, when "enough is enough." My umpires are representatives of baseball and work very hard to know the rules and their proper application. I am alarmed that the majority of my top tier umpires refuse to work MSBL because of the crap that must be tolerated on the MSBL field, despite the $ incentive to do so.

Please let me know when your board of directors intends to address this issue. I would like to attend. I assume that you will have a meeting prior to the Cardinals next scheduled game.

As for umpire performance, rest assured that I am closely monitoring who is working MSBL games to ensure that your league receives the best available umpires on any given day. An interesting stat I came across during my conversations with some of my MLB contacts: on average, a MLB home plate umpire misses 12 pitches per game. That is a guy who every four games works the plate and sees 300+ pitches. They aren't perfect...well I guess you can see where I am going.
----

[Edited by jumpmaster on Aug 2nd, 2005 at 09:30 AM]

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

I don't work adult leagues anymore. Low pay, hot days, and bad attitudes all combine.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster
I understand that you can�t be at every field, every day.
Roper, have you been taking spelling lessons from drumbum?

Why did #21 not have to leave because he is a leage rep.?

Do you think I should have handeled my recent situation differently?
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

I don't do men's leagues anymore in any sport. Too many prima donnas and it is not worth the pay for all the crap you have to take.

Carol Stream, Illinois
NFHS
ASA
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:

That was a low blow. Did Tyson teach you that? Neck time you'll be trying to eat my ear.

When I pasted in the email, some of the code screwed up. I thought I fixed them all.

#21 was required to stay at the park b/c of some sort of city rule.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 08:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:

That was a low blow. Did Tyson teach you that? Neck time you'll be trying to eat my ear.

When I pasted in the email, some of the code screwed up. I thought I fixed them all.

#21 was required to stay at the park b/c of some sort of city rule.
Once the police are there, I end the game and head to the house. Why would anyone stay and tolerate such a circus?
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
MSBL games, unfortunately, can get like that. This is the type of ball that, if something is not done soon about 'Softbll guy', several upper tier umpires who enjoy the comroderie of most of the players will stop offering their services.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

it was public property

I've heard that one before, several times. I make them leave the park.

a comment about seeing me in the parking lot

I've also heard this one several times. However, nobody has ever been in the parking lot when I got there. So far.

However, I keep the telephone number of the police department of every township in my cell phone just in case.

I'm not saying this is right, but I know one ump (former MLB player) who simply says, "Why the parking lot? Let's go right here and now." So far, no one has taken him up on his offer.