The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
No, it is relaxed from regular season. Regular season MPR is 6 defensive outs and 1 at bat. Tournament is 3 consecutive defensive outs and 1 at bat.

Years ago, there was no MPR in tournament play. When they first introduced it, it was only at 12 and under levels (Juniors, Seniors and Big League had no MPR requirement) and it was a very easy to comply with 3 defensive outs OR 1 at bat. That eventually turned into 3 CDO AND 1 at bat, and in recent years they've expanded MPR requirements to, first, Junior League, and then, this year for the first time, Senior League (15-16). The only division exempt from MPR today is Big League (17-18).
Ok, that's what I was mixed up about. When we get to the big games, Johnny Fill-in has to play just the equivalent of one inning.

The games on TV have to look good, don't they?
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 08:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
I agree. The plate umps so far are better than last year's and far superior to those of just three years ago. The work on the bases is a little off, but some of that is probably due to some less than accepted mandated mechanics. However, the missed call at first was just plain horrid and unexcusable.

The next step for the LL umps who are positioning themselves for this level is to begin working on their appearance and conditioning.

They had new uniforms on and did a good job.

If you are saying they should only pick thin umpires, I think you are completely wrong. They should pick those who can do the job. Period.

Last edited by Rich; Sun Aug 13, 2006 at 08:48pm.
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 08:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
No, it is relaxed from regular season. Regular season MPR is 6 defensive outs and 1 at bat. Tournament is 3 consecutive defensive outs and 1 at bat.

Years ago, there was no MPR in tournament play. When they first introduced it, it was only at 12 and under levels (Juniors, Seniors and Big League had no MPR requirement) and it was a very easy to comply with 3 defensive outs OR 1 at bat. That eventually turned into 3 CDO AND 1 at bat, and in recent years they've expanded MPR requirements to, first, Junior League, and then, this year for the first time, Senior League (15-16). The only division exempt from MPR today is Big League (17-18).
Dave,

There is no MPR at the Senior Level this season. I just worked a district and state tourney.

--Rich
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Dave,

There is no MPR at the Senior Level this season. I just worked a district and state tourney.

--Rich
You're right. It was in force last year but they eliminated it this year. Man, they make so many changes each year, you'd think somebody would come up with a chart, a cheat-sheet, to try to keep all the changes in all the different divisions straight.
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 08:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
You're right. It was in force last year but they eliminated it this year. Man, they make so many changes each year, you'd think somebody would come up with a chart, a cheat-sheet, to try to keep all the changes in all the different divisions straight.
You ought to turn the cheat sheet into a 400 page book and sell it on some website
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
They had new uniforms on and did a good job.

If you are saying they should only pick thin umpires, I think you are completely wrong. They should pick those who can do the job. Period.

I didn't say that. I said appearance and condition. That said, a 400 pound camel-toed PU who can't cover third when needed, or trail a B/R down the baseline, does not, I believe, possess the proper appearance or condition to officiate an athletic contest.

However, what I was referring to by appearacne in my post were those PU's whose shirts were too small to appropriately cover their gear and their bodies, and those who appeared to have some difficulty in their mobility. Thus, appearance and conditioning.

Last edited by GarthB; Sun Aug 13, 2006 at 11:16pm.
Old Sun Aug 13, 2006, 11:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
I didn't say that. I said appearance and condition. That said, a 400 pound camel-toed PU who can't cover third when needed, or trail a B/R down the baseline, does not, I believe, possess the proper appearance or condition to officiate an athletic contest.

However, what I was referring to by appearacne in my post were those PU's whose shirts were too small to appropriately cover their gear and their bodies, and those who appeared to have some difficulty in their mobility. Thus, appearance and conditioning.
If an official can't move to cover a 60-foot diamond, he should quit. Period.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
I saw a good one, too.

I thought the dish ump in the Alaska/Oregon game also did a fine job. A little high in the "Palermo" syance, but a nice job nonetheless. And damn, he looked no older than 35. This is a good thing, in my book.

Plus, he was one of the few I've seen at this level with a distinctly different call for swinging and taken strikes. Tucked in, spit-shined, crisp. And, IMHO, a great command of the LL "outside strike"--giving it on groin-high pitches, not giving it otherwise.

I've had two buddies do LL Eastern Regional games (12 yr old). Yes, they are adamantly told to wipe the bases, yell "foul" constantly, cut inside the infield on every batted ball (try doing this from deep C with sacks juiced!).

I agree with Garth that some of these guys look horrendously out of shape--keep them off the TV games, I say.

But, I must say that the level here has improved. Now wait for the WS--always an adventure.

Ace
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 04:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
garth said camel-toed. that's funny.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 12:10pm

Pam Postema had a camel toe. Ria Cortesia as well.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 12:12pm.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Southwest Regional

I saw where Dave stated that the blown call at 1B would have tied the game. The call went against the Louisiana team who won 1-0. The call actually would have put them up 2-0 at that time.

The umpire who made the call simply choked. He stated that he knew he blew the call when he made it. He is a good umpire, he just made a bad call.

I umpired this years SW Regional as well and will be calling this years LLWS. I can appreciate some constructive criticism and will be reading various forums for some feedback. I am not a professional umpire and I am sure there will be plenty of opportunity for criticism, so do your worst.

Some of you I respect and look forward to your remarks, others of you sound a lot like sour grapes and seem I'm guessing do your best umpiring on a public forum.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLE EYE
I saw where Dave stated that the blown call at 1B would have tied the game. The call went against the Louisiana team who won 1-0. The call actually would have put them up 2-0 at that time.

The umpire who made the call simply choked. He stated that he knew he blew the call when he made it. He is a good umpire, he just made a bad call.

I umpired this years SW Regional as well and will be calling this years LLWS. I can appreciate some constructive criticism and will be reading various forums for some feedback. I am not a professional umpire and I am sure there will be plenty of opportunity for criticism, so do your worst.

Some of you I respect and look forward to your remarks, others of you sound a lot like sour grapes and seem I'm guessing do your best umpiring on a public forum.
Best of wishes at the World Series. Overall, the quality of the umpiring so far has been vastly improved over previous years. Most of the umpires had perfomed extremely well and I'm sure you'll continue the trend.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

In fact, there hasn't been a bad plate performance yet, which supports the contention I've been making for awhile that "LL umpires" have come a long way, baby, compared to only a few years ago. Anyone who remembers "lobster claw man" will probably agree.

Dave I do not know their "resumes" but are they really LL umpires or are they Umpires who work LL.

I live in the east and have attened the regionals in Bristol Conn. Whenever I saw a really good plate performance and inquired I found out that the individual also did College ball, HS varsity etc.

You could also see a big "drop-off" when an Umpire who had the dish did Strictly LL compared to that as mentioned above.

Therefore, is the improvement in umpiring at the regionals over the past several years due to the fact that the umpires chosen also do "other" ball so that they are more relaxed and also well schooled as opposed to LL umpires getting better.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Therefore, is the improvement in umpiring at the regionals over the past several years due to the fact that the umpires chosen also do "other" ball so that they are more relaxed and also well schooled as opposed to LL umpires getting better.

Pete Booth
Either way, the pool of umpires working LL Regionals and WS improves. And if it is due to "other" umpires choosing to work LL, it will force the "exclusively" LL umpire to improve to compete. It's a win-win for LL no matter the cause.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
In fact, there hasn't been a bad plate performance yet, which supports the contention I've been making for awhile that "LL umpires" have come a long way, baby, compared to only a few years ago. Anyone who remembers "lobster claw man" will probably agree.

Dave I do not know their "resumes" but are they really LL umpires or are they Umpires who work LL.

I live in the east and have attened the regionals in Bristol Conn. Whenever I saw a really good plate performance and inquired I found out that the individual also did College ball, HS varsity etc.

You could also see a big "drop-off" when an Umpire who had the dish did Strictly LL compared to that as mentioned above.

Pete Booth
Two of the umpires in the Bristol, Ct regionals are umpires who do HS varsity and Legion baseball.

Umpires who "do" LL .

Doug