The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

What is a LL Umpire

Now that Tournament time is approaching I thought I would start a thread about LL umpires. Also, there were some comments in the Tie Goes to the runner thread.

Ok Exactly what is a LL Umpire? IMO there are varied responses.

I got my start in umpiring from LL. At that time in my life I didn't know if I would like umpiring or not. I got sick and tired of everyone complaining and simply do nothing.

You can get a field, a group of kids, someone to coach but then ask the all important question? Anyone want to umpire? and it's like the plague hit. It's amazing in that no -one will step up but when someone does, then the redicule and chastizing begins when some calls are wrong or they do not like the strike zone etc.

Not everyone has the type of job that allows them to umpire HS or College. From my experience, many HS or College Umpires were teachers, postal workers, policemen(women), or someone who had their own business. In other words, the aforementioned had jobs that allowed them to get out on time to make HS/College Games and also take time off to attend clinics, etc.

Therefore, IMO some LL umpires, umpire at the LL level because it fits with their work schedule. I at the beginning of my career was one those. I could not get out of work to do any other type ball, also at that time you needed to do a certain amount of HS games to keep your certification. Today that is not so. You can still be certified as long as you attend the mandatory meetings and pay your dues even if you cannot umpire HS ball.

Also, we often talk about rules "ad nauseum" on most umpire forums, but in reality how many times in your career have you had to deal with CI (Catcher's Interference) or CO for FED followed by a play.

In your typical game, you will have an infiled Fly siutation, maybe an interference or OBS call, etc. We tend to complicate umpiring on most internet Forums.

As far as rules goes, let's face it they are boring and when one first starts I do not think one is aware of the various supplemental manuals that are out there. Basically when one starts it's balls/ strikes and safes/outs. When I attended my first rules session I fell a sleep. The instructor put in a tape, turned the lights out and that was it for me.

I learned through experiences and was fortunate in my career to have good people who helped me along the way ie; Contsructive Criticism as opposed to bashing which is a theme of most internet Forums these days. The Umpire Forums at one time were a valuable tool, now as Peter Osborne puts it they are a form of entertainment as opposed to a learning vehicle.

Now we see the umpires who do the regionals and ultimately the LLWS on TV. Is it polictal - YES but so is everything else. From my experience it is political to get the HS Sectional games. I do not know know about College but what I do know is that you have to travel as I have a friend who does college ball and he travels all over the place.

In all walks of life you are going to have people who are in "something" for the power or prestege and have a "chip" on their shoulder. In addition the REAL problem in LL Organizations or any other youth organizations for that matter is: NO-ONE will "step up to the plate'. Everyone likes to Complain and thus you are left with some "Smitties' of the world because no-one else wants to take on the role of UIC,etc.

Here's a story from my LL days. For those who umpire LL it's not that uncommon to work 3-5 games on a busy Saturday. This particular Saturday it was my 4th game behind the dish and I had a parent heckling me and "getting on me" from inning one.

I know we are not supposed to address fans, etc. but it was Hot and I was tired. In between innings I approached this fan and said:

"Sir, you are correct I suck today and IMO you can do a much better job then me. It's hot and I would like to get a nice cold glass of lemonade. I tell you what, Upstairs in the Umpire Tower we have all sorts of equipment. I am sure we can find equipment that fits you. You can finish the game for me and I can sit in the stands and relax."

The guy just looked at me and never said a peep the rest of the game. In fact at the end of the game, he said good game blue.

Therefore guys/ gals exactly what is meant by the term LL Umpire?

Pete Booth
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Now that Tournament time is approaching I thought I would start a thread about LL umpires. Also, there were some comments in the Tie Goes to the runner thread.

Ok Exactly what is a LL Umpire? IMO there are varied responses.
There are different types of LL umpires. There are those who drink the LL kool-aid and figure as long as they are volunteering and "trying to give something back", that's good enough. These LL umpires usually suck.

There are those who understand that the game deserves better and seek training and improve over time, but, for whatever reason, never see the need or desire to work higher level games. These LL umpires usually are adequate.

There are those who work or have worked higher levels or baseball, have been trained well, work to perform professionally and either enjoy some LL games near the end of their season, or feel the need to still contribute. These LL umpires usually are excellent.

Quote:
Also, we often talk about rules "ad nauseum" on most umpire forums, but in reality how many times in your career have you had to deal with CI (Catcher's Interference) or CO for FED followed by a play.
About 3-4 times a year.

Quote:
In your typical game, you will have an infiled Fly siutation, maybe an interference or OBS call, etc. We tend to complicate umpiring on most internet Forums.
I agree that third world plays have little value, but I don't see CI as a third world play.

Quote:
Now we see the umpires who do the regionals and ultimately the LLWS on TV. Is it polictal - YES but so is everything else. From my experience it is political to get the HS Sectional games. I do not know know about College but what I do know is that you have to travel as I have a friend who does college ball and he travels all over the place.
My experience is that at the HS, Legion and college levels the politics come after a level of quality has been met. From the LL literature I've read and discussions with LL district and regional folks, the quality comes after politics.

Quote:
In addition the REAL problem in LL Organizations or any other youth organizations for that matter is: NO-ONE will "step up to the plate'. Everyone likes to Complain and thus you are left with some "Smitties' of the world because no-one else wants to take on the role of UIC,etc.
Couldn't disagree more. In my experience, the upper level bureacrats are so entrenched, they discourage new blood from stepping up to the plate. I know of several attempts made in various organizations, including LL in which competent new people attempted to volunteer and were either outright rejected by those "in charge" or turned-off by their "we've done this for years and we know how to do it" attitude.

Quote:
Again, the answer will vary based on one's exposure to LL umpires.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Most of us DO suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
There are different types of LL umpires. There are those who drink the LL kool-aid and figure as long as they are volunteering and "trying to give something back", that's good enough. These LL umpires usually suck.

There are those who understand that the game deserves better and seek training and improve over time, but, for whatever reason, never see the need or desire to work higher level games. These LL umpires usually are adequate.

There are those who work or have worked higher levels or baseball, have been trained well, work to perform professionally and either enjoy some LL games near the end of their season, or feel the need to still contribute. These LL umpires usually are excellent.
Sometimes I think Garth hits it spot on. This is one of those times.

I might be uniquely qualified to talk here. Rather than go into my c.v., trust me that I've been there, done that in LL (every level except WS). I did HS, Legion and a post-grad summer league (college, ex-minor and even some major leaguers) for fewer years. This is my 30th season.

I'd say about 90% of the LL umps I've worked with suck (regular season). Some of these are the Kool-Aid types as GB so eloquently put it. Some are newbies who don't last; some are Smittys.

My district (post season) skews the numbers. All of guys do HS, Legion, etc. Most are very good and above (Gath's final group). A handful exist whom I'd feel happy scheduling at any game, any level. We have one or two Smittys who get 3B in non-pressure games. I don't want to talk about financial compensation for fear of tattletales online or reprisals from W-port. I'd be glad to respond privately to anyone with questions.

At state level, we sometimes work mixed crews or see guys from other districts. I'd say about 70% of them suck. I won't bore you with the details. In appearance alone, I've seen: white shoes; brown belts; no hat on PU; Dockers pants, you name it.

A good buddy of mine (and an A+ umpire) has worked a LL Regional and a World Series in another division. He is line to go to W-port. He told me that about 60% of the umps at regional level "didn't get it."

The Regional and WS levels are, to be honest, Smittyvilles. Umps get picked by number of years of service, connections, other volunteer work. If you do HS or above, you'd best leave that off your resume.

I've seen umps at the Bristol regional (right down the road from ESPN) who were absolutely horrible. One guy, who was a big national honcho, used to give "directions" (up, down, in, out)on every called ball with little waves of his left hand. I am not kidding.

I saw a woman ump in Bristol (who eventually became the first female to do a LLWS) and call time after EVERY play. Big, too, dressing it up.

How do they get there? Some opinions:

* They have worked for so many years and developed so many bad habits that they are ingrained as poor officials.

* They are the senior guys in their area, so they assign themselves for the best games.

* They discourage young talent.

* W-port itself doesn't have any A+ umpires to judge these Smittys.

* There is virtually no "overseeing" authority anywhere in LL, meaning people who will evaluate umpires and work with them to correct inadequacies.

I know, I know, I should be championing LL umps. I can't--seen to many sh!tty ones. Plus, I believe in calling a Smitty a Smitty.

Ace
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

IMO Ace & Garth have nailed it.

Point:

Each Oct/Nov LL Districts nominate umpires for region & WS assignments. Our dist was advised we had three spots (BLSB region, JrBB region 7 BLBB region) and told to nominate three umpires. Two of the three nominated deserved the spot due to BOTH quality and service time. One was sent because he is on dist staff (I would rate this umpire as a solid 2 1/2 on a scale of 1-5).

One of the sister districts to us has held Jr/Sr BB state the past two years. The local guys are 25% very good & 75% zeros. We offered to send umpires/crews but were rejected because they wanted to "Reward the dist staff". I ended up doing two games (there because we had teams playing) because the assigned umpires failed to show. Out of 4 partners ONE had a clue, the rest were terrible.

Because LL does NOT pay game fees or travel they are often stuck with umpires that are able/willing to go to region/WS. It sucks but that's how it is ..
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

On ESPN Classic the other night, they had the 2003 semifinal game on (a Texas team vs. a New England team). I stopped surfing and watched a few innings.

The PU was something else. He called strikes by sticking his upraised fist as high as he could get it, a la softball style. He looked like he was trying to hang himself....made a biiiiig show of every little thing.

The killer, though, was when a batter (1-2 count) fouled a pitch off right onto the plate, ball then hit F2, went b/w his legs, and rolled to the backstop - PU called a foul tip and a strike (brush-off FT mechanic, then the 'hang yourself' strike motion), and then left the kid at bat.

Even my wife shook her head and said, 'where do these guys come from?'

Are all LL umpires like this? Of course not! But how does one like this get within spitting distance of national television?

Last edited by LMan; Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 03:27pm.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder

I wonder if 'volunteer' (or low pay) umpire programs every where have problems with the quality of their umpires.

I was asked to work the plate for a Pony game (paid $30) by a friend (obviously not a good friend). I was warned that my partner would be a ‘new’ kid that they wanted me to help out. My partner showed up about 5 minutes before the start of the game. He was wearing shorts, t-shirt, hat backwards & running shoes w/no socks. He also umpired as well as he looked. I guess you have to settle for what you can get.

I found that coach’s that have umpires of limited experience and ability tended to push the umpires around. Since the umpires have no idea what they are doing it makes for an ‘interesting’ game. When an experienced umpire comes along they some times face an abundance of BS. In the game referenced above I had a coach come up to me before the game and asked “How long you been umping?” My reply was “almost 30 years, that’s probably longer than you’ve been alive”. He smiled….. no problems with him the entire game.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send to Willimasport

I have seen some questionable officials in Willimasport. But my main purpose in joining the discussion was not to add to what has already been said. Does anyone here have the tech skill to send this thread to Willimamsport? Yes, I know someone is begging to tell me that it is a waste of time. Yes, I know we will be seen as gripers and complainers because we were not chosen. By the way, I have never understood the reasoning behind that thought. Gripers and complainers may be seen as unpleasant and hard to get along with by others, But that doesn't mean that their gripes aren't valid and need to be dealt with.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

[email protected]
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth

Pete Booth
I may not be able to capture the essence of the Little League umpire, but in the immortal words of the late Justice Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it."

The serious comment I wanted to make about the LL umpire program, and what I see as its greatest failing, is its orientation towards pushing the select few up through the ranks to make it to state, regionals and the holy grail, the LLWS. LL has done a great thing in establishing regional umpire schools in each of its 8 US regions, but the schools have largely turned into inbred good-ol-boy fraternities of instructors and their small cliques of repeat students, geared primarily towards organizing the postseason assignment career ladders of those chosen few. What the schools SHOULD be turning out are certified Little League umpire clinicians - guys who are trained and qualified and equipped to go back to their local leagues and lead the development of a REAL umpire program at their local and district level.

The schools are turning out better and better tournament umpires, as confirmed by what most observers would agree is a gradual improvement in the quality of the umpires working the TV games in each of the last several years. But that's where it ends - the LL TV umpires are the window dressing of a program that still, at the local level, is dominated by guys with backward caps and shinguards on the outside of their jeans.

It's sad that such a great opportunity has been largely squandered.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 10:30pm

Now that's what I call a....

"LITTLE LEAGUE UMPIRE"
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

While I can't speak for the umpires in the Little League Association I can speak highly of my fellow umpires who handled the Pacific Southwest Regionals for Cal Ripkin. (Affiliated with Babe Ruth League competitor with Little League). With one exception all the umpires were very good. Most had high school, legion, or higher experience. Also most of them worked babe ruth or higher level games during the regular season with a few Cal Ripkin games thrown in so they could tune up for the tourney's. Only the best in my association work the regionals and getting chosen is a considered a big honor.

In most cases the decision to work youth ball for my peers in the state and regional C.R. tourney is that high school and legion ball no longer fits in their work schedule. Not everyone can get off at two or three to get to a high school game. I quit doing high school because of job conflicts.

I think that the quality of an official who chooses to work small ball tourney's probably varies by region. In my assoc. the newer umps work the small ball during the regular season and gradually work their way up to Babe Ruth/Pony. As an umpire starts to advance he usually will work upper level games with an older, more experienced umpire who can give them pointers and help them work on their mechanics. We also have a great preseason training program that consists of six weekly meetings and one on the field session. A lot of our younger umpires use our association as a springboard to get started in high school and legion ball. A decent percentage of our veteran umpires still umpire at the high school level. A majority of those that aren't currently working high school ball did in the past and for whatever reason (mostly work related) choose not to work it anymore. All umpires in our association are required to wear a proper uniform or they do not get games.

Eric

Last edited by IceGator8; Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 11:26pm.
Old Tue Aug 08, 2006, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
An umpire who;
  • Takes the job seriously.
  • Presents themselves professionally.
  • Works to continually improve their abilities.
  • Does the very best job they can do, every time they are on the field.

Is an UMPIRE - PERIOD...No matter what level they work.

Nick
Old Tue Aug 08, 2006, 05:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
An umpire who;
  • Takes the job seriously.
  • Presents themselves professionally.
  • Works to continually improve their abilities.
  • Does the very best job they can do, every time they are on the field.

Is an UMPIRE - PERIOD...No matter what level they work.
Unfortunately:
1. Many lousy umpires I know are serious about their gigs, which they accomplish in mediocre style.
2. Their idea of "professional" is finding a pair of black shoes.
3. Why bother; they know it all--like "you can't bunt with two strikes."
4. This "best job" is often a poor one... and no one can tell them otherwise.

Ace
Old Tue Aug 08, 2006, 05:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
The schools are turning out better and better tournament umpires, as confirmed by what most observers would agree is a gradual improvement in the quality of the umpires working the TV games in each of the last several years. But that's where it ends - the LL TV umpires are the window dressing of a program that still, at the local level, is dominated by guys with backward caps and shinguards on the outside of their jeans.

It's sad that such a great opportunity has been largely squandered.
I know a guy who's doing a regional this year who is borderline competent.

Dave's sooo right about the "backward cap and jeans."

I know a handful of LL umps (who also work HS, Legion and above). None of them are willing to go through the system to get a bigger job in LL.

The "volunteer" system eventually convinces good up-and-coming umps to take their trade elsewhere.

I know a way to fix this, but it would involve paying umpire evaluators, something LL will never do.

Ace
Old Tue Aug 08, 2006, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

My limited Little League experience

When I first started umpiring, I started in Little League. My first time carrying the stick, my first time hearing, "C'mon ump!" from the bleachers, my first time beating myself up over a blown call, and my first ejection (which was particularly sweet because I was 16 years old and ran the manager a.k.a. my father ), all happened in Little League.

That being said, when I began my obsession with umpiring and put the time and effort into moving up the ladder, Little League slowly faded into my rearview mirror. I still "volunteer" every spring in my local league. I used to attend the district "umpire" meetings/training sessions. I've even held rules and mechanics clinics for the local league with minimal participation from the group of guys who work the most local games.
Come district tournament time, I always contacted the district UIC and informed him of my willingness to work these games (for free). The only restriction I placed on my availability was that he contact me with dates 2 weeks in advance so that I could schedule my HS and NCAA games around LL because I didn't want to turn back these games, pay a fine and pi$$ off my assignors. In 4 years , I was contacted exactly 1 time to work a game in the district tournament. The call came around 3:00 for a 5:00 game. I already had a game scheduled that night, and graciously declined. His response was, "You said you were available, and now all of a sudden you're not?" It was obvious that he was calling me as a last ditch effort to have the game covered.

I no longer contact Little League and beg to help out. If they call me and I'm available, I'll do almost anything to lend them a hand. But, unfortunately, they're not interested, so why should I keep knocking on their door?