View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

What is a LL Umpire

Now that Tournament time is approaching I thought I would start a thread about LL umpires. Also, there were some comments in the Tie Goes to the runner thread.

Ok Exactly what is a LL Umpire? IMO there are varied responses.

I got my start in umpiring from LL. At that time in my life I didn't know if I would like umpiring or not. I got sick and tired of everyone complaining and simply do nothing.

You can get a field, a group of kids, someone to coach but then ask the all important question? Anyone want to umpire? and it's like the plague hit. It's amazing in that no -one will step up but when someone does, then the redicule and chastizing begins when some calls are wrong or they do not like the strike zone etc.

Not everyone has the type of job that allows them to umpire HS or College. From my experience, many HS or College Umpires were teachers, postal workers, policemen(women), or someone who had their own business. In other words, the aforementioned had jobs that allowed them to get out on time to make HS/College Games and also take time off to attend clinics, etc.

Therefore, IMO some LL umpires, umpire at the LL level because it fits with their work schedule. I at the beginning of my career was one those. I could not get out of work to do any other type ball, also at that time you needed to do a certain amount of HS games to keep your certification. Today that is not so. You can still be certified as long as you attend the mandatory meetings and pay your dues even if you cannot umpire HS ball.

Also, we often talk about rules "ad nauseum" on most umpire forums, but in reality how many times in your career have you had to deal with CI (Catcher's Interference) or CO for FED followed by a play.

In your typical game, you will have an infiled Fly siutation, maybe an interference or OBS call, etc. We tend to complicate umpiring on most internet Forums.

As far as rules goes, let's face it they are boring and when one first starts I do not think one is aware of the various supplemental manuals that are out there. Basically when one starts it's balls/ strikes and safes/outs. When I attended my first rules session I fell a sleep. The instructor put in a tape, turned the lights out and that was it for me.

I learned through experiences and was fortunate in my career to have good people who helped me along the way ie; Contsructive Criticism as opposed to bashing which is a theme of most internet Forums these days. The Umpire Forums at one time were a valuable tool, now as Peter Osborne puts it they are a form of entertainment as opposed to a learning vehicle.

Now we see the umpires who do the regionals and ultimately the LLWS on TV. Is it polictal - YES but so is everything else. From my experience it is political to get the HS Sectional games. I do not know know about College but what I do know is that you have to travel as I have a friend who does college ball and he travels all over the place.

In all walks of life you are going to have people who are in "something" for the power or prestege and have a "chip" on their shoulder. In addition the REAL problem in LL Organizations or any other youth organizations for that matter is: NO-ONE will "step up to the plate'. Everyone likes to Complain and thus you are left with some "Smitties' of the world because no-one else wants to take on the role of UIC,etc.

Here's a story from my LL days. For those who umpire LL it's not that uncommon to work 3-5 games on a busy Saturday. This particular Saturday it was my 4th game behind the dish and I had a parent heckling me and "getting on me" from inning one.

I know we are not supposed to address fans, etc. but it was Hot and I was tired. In between innings I approached this fan and said:

"Sir, you are correct I suck today and IMO you can do a much better job then me. It's hot and I would like to get a nice cold glass of lemonade. I tell you what, Upstairs in the Umpire Tower we have all sorts of equipment. I am sure we can find equipment that fits you. You can finish the game for me and I can sit in the stands and relax."

The guy just looked at me and never said a peep the rest of the game. In fact at the end of the game, he said good game blue.

Therefore guys/ gals exactly what is meant by the term LL Umpire?

Pete Booth