View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Now that Tournament time is approaching I thought I would start a thread about LL umpires. Also, there were some comments in the Tie Goes to the runner thread.

Ok Exactly what is a LL Umpire? IMO there are varied responses.
There are different types of LL umpires. There are those who drink the LL kool-aid and figure as long as they are volunteering and "trying to give something back", that's good enough. These LL umpires usually suck.

There are those who understand that the game deserves better and seek training and improve over time, but, for whatever reason, never see the need or desire to work higher level games. These LL umpires usually are adequate.

There are those who work or have worked higher levels or baseball, have been trained well, work to perform professionally and either enjoy some LL games near the end of their season, or feel the need to still contribute. These LL umpires usually are excellent.

Quote:
Also, we often talk about rules "ad nauseum" on most umpire forums, but in reality how many times in your career have you had to deal with CI (Catcher's Interference) or CO for FED followed by a play.
About 3-4 times a year.

Quote:
In your typical game, you will have an infiled Fly siutation, maybe an interference or OBS call, etc. We tend to complicate umpiring on most internet Forums.
I agree that third world plays have little value, but I don't see CI as a third world play.

Quote:
Now we see the umpires who do the regionals and ultimately the LLWS on TV. Is it polictal - YES but so is everything else. From my experience it is political to get the HS Sectional games. I do not know know about College but what I do know is that you have to travel as I have a friend who does college ball and he travels all over the place.
My experience is that at the HS, Legion and college levels the politics come after a level of quality has been met. From the LL literature I've read and discussions with LL district and regional folks, the quality comes after politics.

Quote:
In addition the REAL problem in LL Organizations or any other youth organizations for that matter is: NO-ONE will "step up to the plate'. Everyone likes to Complain and thus you are left with some "Smitties' of the world because no-one else wants to take on the role of UIC,etc.
Couldn't disagree more. In my experience, the upper level bureacrats are so entrenched, they discourage new blood from stepping up to the plate. I know of several attempts made in various organizations, including LL in which competent new people attempted to volunteer and were either outright rejected by those "in charge" or turned-off by their "we've done this for years and we know how to do it" attitude.

Quote:
Therefore guys/ gals exactly what is meant by the term LL Umpire?
Again, the answer will vary based on one's exposure to LL umpires.