The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stripes1977
3rd year official here. I've worked mainly on the wings, and decided to tell my assigner that I'd like to work some Umpire this year, as I think it will help me understand the game better, as well as make me more available. In a nutshell, I'm looking for ANY and ALL points, tips, tricks, etc...related to the U postion. I think my biggest question at the moment deals with getting the ball from the side zones. I'm staying between the hash marks at all times correct? Is there ever a time when I'd go beyond, retrieve a relay pass, and walk back to the hash? Things like that I'm not sure about. I think the little things are what make the difference, and that's the info I'd appreciate. Thanks!
Old Thu Aug 08, 2002, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Heres some tips.

I'm glad you are going to work at umpire. Its a great position because you will have more player interaction which is rewarding.

Its true that you will be working mainly between the hashmarks but don't worry about that. A Pac-10 umpire (retired) told me last year that often times you will have to drift out into the side zones to maintain player control or get into a better position to retrieve the ball after the play. Its true that a good BJ will be the ball hawk after the play. I hope you have a good BJ and R who will help relay the ball to you. Then you can get to the hash and mirror the forward progress spot of the HL and LJ so when you get the ball you just have to place it at your feet.

I like to use two down markers on my hands. One is for keeping track of the down, the other is for ball position at the snap. When you face the referee, left pinky is left hash, ring finger is left upright, middle finger is middle of field, fore finger is right upright, thumb is right hash. For example, after an incomplete pass or to enforce a penalty simultaneous with the snap, you need to know the ball position at the time of the snap.

Next, develop a mental check list for what to do during dead ball and live ball. I posted a mental check list for umpires a few weeks ago on this site so go check it out and also all the replies.

Once I move off the ball at the ready for play I try to position myself right behind the linebackers about 6 yards off the line, between the offensive center and tackle. It depends on the defense. You want to be able to observe the ball at all times prior to the snap.

I watch the snapper to make sure the snap is legal. Then I watch the initial block of the far offensive tackle to read run or pass. If run I try to pick up the point of attack and observe the blocks and action around the runner (sometimes the defense can foul by clipping the blocker or head slapping the blocker). If pass I get up to the line and observe action in front of me. Then I turn after the pass is thrown to look for ineligibles and assist with low passes near the ground.

You can have fun at umpire position and a lot of guys don't like to work there because you are in the power running zones. But if you see a 220 lb. full back coming through the hole straight at you don't panic. Try to either hold your ground (similar to a matador and a bull) or shuffle one or two steps quickly to the front and side and then hold your ground. The key is to protect yourself and continue to observe the action around the ball. Don't try to move around too much because then the players will zig when you zag but its when both of you zag that you become part of the turf.

I like to think of umpires as our own special club within the officiating community. Welcome to the club!
Old Fri Aug 09, 2002, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes1977
3rd year official here. I've worked mainly on the wings, and decided to tell my assigner that I'd like to work some Umpire this year, as I think it will help me understand the game better, as well as make me more available. In a nutshell, I'm looking for ANY and ALL points, tips, tricks, etc...related to the U postion. I think my biggest question at the moment deals with getting the ball from the side zones. I'm staying between the hash marks at all times correct? Is there ever a time when I'd go beyond, retrieve a relay pass, and walk back to the hash? Things like that I'm not sure about. I think the little things are what make the difference, and that's the info I'd appreciate. Thanks!
Umpire is the key member of an officiating crew. As a referee I look to my umpire to let me know the result of the last play. Referees have the worst spot on the field for seeing anything past the line of scrimmage. The umpire on every play should let the ref know what happened.

The umpire also serves as the central person to keep the game moving. On a penalty the umpire summons the captain of the offended team to go to the referee.

The umpire walks off the penalties.

The umpire counts the offense and keeps track of the legality of the offensive line.

And, on EVERY play yells out the down to all the other officials.

It is a great spot to really learn and be in the game.
Old Fri Aug 09, 2002, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stripes1977
I am curious to see the way I react after I have my first run up the middle. I'm 6'4", 290 lbs, so I'm not afraid they'll hurt me, but I can only imagine the rush I'll get from it. The checklist was a big help. I'm excited to be literally IN the game, guess I'll see if that is still the case after my first scrimmage on Tuesday! Thanks guys!
Old Sat Aug 10, 2002, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Umpires need to be sharp on penalty enforcement. You’re going to be the one who makes sure the W.H. gets it right so make the “All But One” your best friend. I also found that It’s VERY important to always be aware of the down and distance. My biggest mistake in a game was when I bee-bopped over to the ball which was just outside the hash, and picked it up to move it inside when it was forth and inches. The W.H. came up and quietly told me “Just put it down”. A made the line to gain by an inch or so. I think 8^). After that, when A was close the LTG, you could find me at the bottom of the pile gluing the ball to the turf in case we need to measure. Of course this didn’t happen in a pee-wee game with a dozen or so Moms watching .It just happened to be the IWFL Championship game where EVERONE seen my goof. I was fined a pitcher of suds for my mistake.
Besides getting to wear two down indicators you also get to wear two whistles. You’ll want a whistle on a lanyard that you keep in your mouth until the snap, and a finger whistle to blow (if necessary) to let players know the play is over. At least this is what I was told to do. What I found was I hardly ever blow either whistle when working Ump. Plus, I was so used to using my lanyard whistle I’ve yet to blow the finger whistle at all. I’m thinking about going with just the finger until I get used to using it. Any thoughts from you more experienced Umps about this?
Old Sun Aug 11, 2002, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

I am primarily a wing but I've worked quite a bit of umpire in lower level games. The first thing that the experienced guys have told me is "Don't back up!!" Move from side to side but if you back up you are far more likely to get smacked. I've always used a lanyard whistle to umpire and have gotten along fine. It is true that umpires don't use their whistle a lot.
Old Sun Aug 11, 2002, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cook
I am primarily a wing but I've worked quite a bit of umpire in lower level games. The first thing that the experienced guys have told me is "Don't back up!!" Move from side to side but if you back up you are far more likely to get smacked. I've always used a lanyard whistle to umpire and have gotten along fine. It is true that umpires don't use their whistle a lot.
Umpires really don't need to use their whistles a lot.

First, you have to see the ball before you blow. My view is an umpire rarely gets a clean view of the ball. Then, you need to get the spot and most referees tell their umpires they will never have the spot, well almost never.

Most of the time one of the wings will have the whistle. Exceptions are long passes you get the BJ's whistle. Sacks you get the referee.
Old Sun Aug 11, 2002, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Umpires and whistles.

Very good points about umpires and whistles. I was told that the umpire should always be concerned with action around the ball, deadball officiating, and preventive officiating. Let the wings pick up the forward progress.

And I've been guilty of picking up the ball on short yardage situations instead of spotting it immediately. The past year I've been concentrating on repeating down and distance during every dead ball period in order to anticipate these situations. Its better to get the ball spotted where it became dead and call an officials' timeout to let the referee get a good look at it.

As far as finger whistles go I like them but I'm so used to holding my lanyarded whistle in my hand that I'm comfortable that way, even running with it(I use a long lanyard so I can run okay with the whistle in my hand).

And its true, umpires should never back up. When in doubt I hold my ground or if I can move quickly side to side I will. Most of the time if you hold your ground the players will go around you (hopefully!!!).