The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Tie goes to runner?

I need to know when the ball and the runner touch the base at the same time, what is the call? Thank you
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve friendly
I need to know when the ball and the runner touch the base at the same time, what is the call? Thank you
Out or safe, depending on the umpire's judgment. The umpire is not going to "see" it as "at the same time," even if the limits of his physical senses actually had it happening at the same time.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

If the ball touches the bag, I've got nothing unless that ball is in a fielder's possession ... but that's just me.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hensley
...even if the limits of his physical senses actually had it happening at the same time.
I like it. Best description of the perception of two events happening simultaneously that I've seen.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
SMACK=sound of the ball in the glove.
THUMP=sound of the Batter/runner hitting the base

Smack Thump=OUT
Thump Smack=SAFE
THACK or SMUMP=OUT

The tie goes to the umpire.

Joe
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for that info guys, but what is the rule? Is he safe or out on an actual tie?
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

I had a coach come to me once and ask about that whacker that occurred on 1st base. I explained it was close, pop..thud. He asked the same question just asked, "what happens when there is a tie between the ball and the runner."

I came back with a quick retort on the spur of the moment, it got a good laugh from him and myself. It goes like this: "Contrary to popular myths and beliefs, a tie does not belong to the runner, it belongs to the umpire, and umpires like two things, Strikes and Outs."
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for that info guys, but what is the rule? Is he safe or out on an actual tie?
Read all of rule 7.00 (the runner) in the official rules of baseball. I will mail you $1,000 for each time you find the word, "tie".
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 04:39pm

SOFE, no wait, AUT, uh......DO OVER!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

I read all of rule 7.0. Your money is safe, but is the runner? How do I contact M.L.B Umpires Association on this one? No one seems to have a cut and dried answer. Not just here on this board, but elswhere. Maybe the umpires association can settle this one. Or maybe I'm just dreaming.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 04:54pm

Quote:
I read all of rule 7.0. Your money is safe, but is the runner? How do I contact M.L.B Umpires Association on this one? No one seems to have a cut and dried answer. Not just here on this board, but elswhere. Maybe the umpires association can settle this one. Or maybe I'm just dreaming.
7.08 (e) out.

6.05 (j) safe.

You decide which is correct.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 05:01pm

mr. friendly.....check out this thread:

Never reward a bad Defensive Play !
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Did the runner beat the ball to the bag? Meaning, did the runner attain the base (touch it) prior to the ball arriving? If so, then he is safe, if not, he's out.

You may percieve a grey area where it is difficult to decide, ask yourself, did the defense make the play difficult for you to decide or was it an incredible defensive play. Here are a couple of instances where you can use the fielding to determine the call:

"Easy grounder to infielder, who muffs the ball, picks it up and throws, it's difficult to determine the outcome after the throw, since the defense muffed the play, on this whacker. Safe."

"Difficult grounder that middle infielder makes an incredible stab at, fields it an throws to the bag. Again, it's difficult to determine whether the runner is safe or out. Give the benefit to the defense for making the play. Out."

Otherwise if it's a normal play, nothing out of the ordinary, and it's close, listen to what you hear. Pop..Thud = Out; Thud..Pop = Safe.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shickenbottom
Did the runner beat the ball to the bag? Meaning, did the runner attain the base (touch it) prior to the ball arriving? If so, then he is safe, if not, he's out.

You may percieve a grey area where it is difficult to decide, ask yourself, did the defense make the play difficult for you to decide or was it an incredible defensive play. Here are a couple of instances where you can use the fielding to determine the call:

"Easy grounder to infielder, who muffs the ball, picks it up and throws, it's difficult to determine the outcome after the throw, since the defense muffed the play, on this whacker. Safe."

"Difficult grounder that middle infielder makes an incredible stab at, fields it an throws to the bag. Again, it's difficult to determine whether the runner is safe or out. Give the benefit to the defense for making the play. Out."
Main Entry: ridiculous
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: absurd
Synonyms: antic, bizarre, comic, comical, contemptible, daffy*, derisory, droll, fantastic, farcical, fool-headed, foolish, funny, gelastic, goofy*, grotesque, harebrained*, hilarious, impossible, incredible, jerky*, laughable, ludicrous, nonsensical, nutty*, outrageous, preposterous, risible, sappy*, silly, slaphappy*, stupid, unbelievable, wacky
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A strict and literal reading of the rules won't help much, because it would tell you that a "tie" goes to the runner at 1B, but goes to the fielder on force plays at any other base. The truth is the rulesmakers didn't word the rules with any kind of distinction like that in mind; they simply did not consider, or deliberately provide for, the concept of a "tie" in the rules.

The answers you're getting here are as good as you're gonna get, i.e., they're the same answers you'll get from one or more MLB umpires.