The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 21, 2006, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
How can I get on the FED Rules Committee ?

I'm sure the people on the committee now, try very hard to do a good job.

But when you read the rules, especially some of the new rules, it becomes blatantly obvious that the current members of the committee have NEVER had to enforce the rules.

They are usually too vague, and don't deal with the actual specifics that umpires deal with on a day to day basis.

Take the new Throat Protector rule for Umpires. Does it apply to Masks only ? Masks without an extended cage ? Umpire Style Helmets (which all have extended cages) ? Or do we assume that because no designation was made, it applies to all face / head protection ?

There should also be a clause next to all the unenforceable rules they put out which says, "We know this is ridiculous micro management of what should be common sense. We also know that it will be almost impossible for umpires to enforce this rule, but we had to put it in the rules to cover our butt's (too bad for the umpire involved) if something happens."

It just seems like they need some members that are currently in the trenches !

Nick
Old Fri Jul 21, 2006, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

What were your suggestions, Tee?
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToGreySt
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
What were your suggestions, Tee?
ditto, I want to hear this too

joe
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Nick Rego making rules....

Next thing you know goalie style masks will be required for all players while within the confines of the field.

Obviously the throat guard applies to all masks. No sane umpire would work a game without one unless he was using an outside "raft" style chest protector.
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB

Next thing you know goalie style masks will be required for all players while within the confines of the field.

Obviously the throat guard applies to all masks. No sane umpire would work a game without one unless he was using an outside "raft" style chest protector.
How about this...

Three rules:
  1. Hit the ball.
  2. Catch the ball.
  3. Throw the ball.
  4. Have lots of fun.

Nick
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
How about this...

Three rules:
  1. Hit the ball.
  2. Catch the ball.
  3. Throw the ball.
  4. Have lots of fun.
That's four. Please tell me you use an indicator behind the plate.
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Bringing the HBP rule more in line with the NCAA ruling that if the ball hits the batter and the ball is located in the batter's box that the hitter has to do nothing to evade being hit.
I assume that FED uses it's current rule becasue of a safety issue, we don't want kids out there not dodging balls that are thrown right at them...with that being said, I am very liberal when it comes to this call, if any motion is made to get out of the way I give the batter the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
Elimination of dead ball appeals.
I'm not sure this is a good idea, this is a time issue more than anything else, if I saw a missed base and if the first baseman, the first base coach and the opposing coach all saw it, after the play is over I have no problem with the coach asking for an appeal without having to put the ball back in play and throwing over to the bag. this rule is exactly like the intent of the intentional Base on Balls rule. allowing them to skip over the process of throwing four pitches to intentionally walk a batter speeds up the game.

Joe
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 10:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

You're not talking about a dangler, are you? I've tried one, once. I have it in my desk drawer to this day, five years later.

All masks have throat protection built in, to a certain degree. If you keep your chest protector up and your head steady, I don't see a need for the dangler.
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
" . . . if any motion is made to get out of the way I give the batter the benefit of the doubt."

So what about a batter that simply "freezes" (i.e. 'deer in the headlights')?

Thanks for your opinion, however, my comments were "my" comments and my opinion.

Regards,
A batter that gets frozen most likely gets first too, I think I've only called the batter back once in five years, it has to be pretty obvious

as far as my comments before, I just wanted to discuss them and that's what I thought we were supposed to do on a discussion forum. no offence was intended, I just wanted to see if other people felt the same way or if I'm completely off the mark.
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToGreySt
A batter that gets frozen most likely gets first too, I think I've only called the batter back once in five years, it has to be pretty obvious
Sorry, but it is umpires like you that have made this rule SO hard to call for the rest of us!!!

I keep at least 2 batters a year in the box!!! I have games where I have kept 2 batters!!!

I do NOT agree with "if the ball is in the batters box, they shouldn't have to make an attempt" either!!! That is horsecrap umpiring, and horsecrap batting. Most of the time that I keep a batter at the plate is on curve balls that hit them in the "box", but the guy made NO attempt to get out of the way. They had all the time in the world to get out of the way, but they didn't.

One thing I noticed in AAA ball that was VERY different than amature ball is that every batter, no matter what, tried to avoid every pitch no matter what it was! Plenty of curve balls these guys could have stood there and let hit them, but they just got out of the way. I suppose they just like to stay in practice, because getting hit with 95mph fastballs HAS to hurt.

You guys that have all these other criteria for whether to keep the batter at the plate or not, do the game of baseball a favor, KEEP THEM THERE UNLESS THEY MAKE AN ATTEMPT TO AVOID THE PITCH, and that doesn't mean, just turning their shoulder. If they had time to turn so that it hits their back, they had MORE than enough time to avoid the pitch! You WILL know the difference between the two when you see it!

When I played, I would NEVER "take one for the team". I was there to hit the freakin' ball.
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Quote:

I knew I was crazy! No you're not! Yes, I am, LDUB said so! Well that settles it then!
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxblue
Sorry, but it is umpires like you that have made this rule SO hard to call for the rest of us!!!

I have no problem with changing the way I umpire, if I'm giving kids a break when I'm not supposed to I want to learn, that's what I'm here for

joe

Last edited by ToGreySt; Sat Jul 22, 2006 at 10:56am.
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Batters "taking" a pitch is rampant right now!!! I am not very generous.

A fastball that hits them while in the box, I will probably give them first base. A curveball that hits them in the back, I will most likely give them first base.

But the curveball that hits them in the arm or shoulder, this is a pitch that can totally be avoided, and I have seen first hand varsity coaches teaching players about how to "make yourself bigger" to the inside pitch so that they get hit by pitches that WOULDN'T have hit them had they not moved a bit. It is horsecrap!!!

For safety reasons, I hate that coaches are teaching kids to "take" the HBP! I think it is dangerous to teach that, and the only way coaches are going to get away from teaching it is if umpires start having a little balls and keeping the batter at the plate. Trust me, coaches don't argue for long when you say something like "Coach, are you saying that this kid can bat .400 with 80mph fastballs coming at him, but cannot avoid a 65mph curve ball?". It is silly!!!

Once you have the reputation of keeping them if they don't make a LEGITIMATE ATTEMPT to avoid the pitch, you will find that you will have FAR fewer HBP's in a game.
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
You're not talking about a dangler, are you? I've tried one, once. I have it in my desk drawer to this day, five years later.

All masks have throat protection built in, to a certain degree. If you keep your chest protector up and your head steady, I don't see a need for the dangler.
No I am talking about a generic throat guard. Throat guards are already required for catchers, and I don't see any of them wearing dangling throat guards. I don't understand why there is such a fuss for the NFHS requiring a umpire to have some sort of protection between his chin and the top of his chest protector.
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
PDX - I have only seen one kid called back in my 10 years of being around organized baseball. I was the umpire, and it was this year.

I've yet to see coaches instructing kids to "be big" to the pitch. Pretty much any fastball (decent speed pitcher) that they get plunked with, IMO, they should be sent to first base. The pitcher has hit the kid, not the batter has hit the ball. When it becomes the batter hitting the ball, keep them there for sure.

As for the curveball that the kid just steps into and takes on the arm... I'd probably keep them there too.