View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 22, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Batters "taking" a pitch is rampant right now!!! I am not very generous.

A fastball that hits them while in the box, I will probably give them first base. A curveball that hits them in the back, I will most likely give them first base.

But the curveball that hits them in the arm or shoulder, this is a pitch that can totally be avoided, and I have seen first hand varsity coaches teaching players about how to "make yourself bigger" to the inside pitch so that they get hit by pitches that WOULDN'T have hit them had they not moved a bit. It is horsecrap!!!

For safety reasons, I hate that coaches are teaching kids to "take" the HBP! I think it is dangerous to teach that, and the only way coaches are going to get away from teaching it is if umpires start having a little balls and keeping the batter at the plate. Trust me, coaches don't argue for long when you say something like "Coach, are you saying that this kid can bat .400 with 80mph fastballs coming at him, but cannot avoid a 65mph curve ball?". It is silly!!!

Once you have the reputation of keeping them if they don't make a LEGITIMATE ATTEMPT to avoid the pitch, you will find that you will have FAR fewer HBP's in a game.