The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I did not see it, but heard this on sports radio today. In last nights Wake Forest – Florida State game, while trailing, 76-73, Wake's Taron Downey drained a 3-pointer from the left wing with 4.3 seconds left in regulation and was fouled on the play. After whistle sounded and the shot went in he did the “throat slash” gesture and said “game over.” With that he jinked himself and his team by missing the potential game winning FT with 4.3 seconds left and then losing the game in OT. Ironically the Demon Deacons had set an NCAA record of 50 straight made free throws over two games, and Downey’s miss was the 1st attempt after the record setting 50th.

The question is, should Downey have been TÂ’d up for the throat slash gesture. I think so. I think it fits under the category of taunting and also drawing attention to yourself. Your opinions?
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Who did he direct it at? I would kind of like to know the the context of what happened.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Who did he direct it at? I would kind of like to know the the context of what happened.
From what I understand, after he made the shot, he immediately did the throat slash. To who, I don't know, but even if he just did it to no one in particular, I think it deserves a T.

I cannot believe that something that the NFL players get penalized for would not receive a T in NF or NCAA BB. I have never seen or heard of a throat slash gesture being done in the NBA, which makes it even more sad that an NCAA player did it.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 12:03am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

I believe this would fall under taunting, or if nothing else, unsporting conduct in terms of rules enforcement. IANAR* however.

* I am not a referee

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 12:40am
Do not give a damn!!

MJT,

First of all this is not football. This is not something I have seen that much of if at all on the basketball court. It was something that was chronic on the football field and needed to be addressed. I am not sure the officials saw the action in the first place. Unfortunately in basketball we are looking through and around players in a small space. I am not sure where he did it on the court? Did the official see it? Nor do I know what I would have done if I saw it (before this post). Now I am aware of what I have to look for, but unless this has been a problem, I could see why there was no T given.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Unless he taunted a FSU player with it, I can't see a technical for it. If I were his coach, I'd address it but I don't think you're going to see this called in the NBA or NCAA.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I'd nail him for it. It is unsportsmanlike and not part of the game. If it deserves a USC flag in football, it deserves a T in basketball.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 06:13am
Official Forum Member

I was watching the game and I didn't notice the gesture. It's possible the officials did not see it. Or they didn't want to call a T with 4.3. seconds left in a tie game.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

I caught the highlights. He did not make the gesture at anyone specific, it was more of a "playing to the crowd" movement. You'd have to have a really big set of.......well, you'd have to be very confident to call this T at that point in a Division I game. I'm pretty sure that under the circumstances, the coach will have a little heart to heart with him.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 06:04am
Official Forum Member

Strangely, we had a player make a dunk in a local HS game here and do this gesture on his way back down the court a couple of days BEFORE this Wake Forest/FSU game. He got a T for it.
I believe that this should be a T everytime.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fiskme
I had this exact thing a month ago in a BJV game. I didn't hesitate to bang him. It doesn't have a place in the game, and if it isn't unsporting AND taunting, then I don't know what is. T everytime if I am on the court.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

I'd be inclined to Tech it too.

Look at NFHS rules and "gestures" are defined as "obscene". Your viewed gesture should qulaify as taunting more so.

ART. 7 . . . Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as:

a. Disrespectfully addressing or contacting an official or gesturing in such a manner as to indicate resentment.
b. Using profane or inappropriate language or obscene gestures.
c. Baiting or taunting an opponent.

NOTE: The NFHS disapproves of any form of taunting which is intended or designed to embarrass, ridicule or demean others under any circumstances including on the basis of race, religion, gender or national origin.

d. Purposely obstructing an opponent's vision by waving or placing hand(s) near his/her eyes.

NOTE: Purposely diverting an opponent's attention by waving is different than holding or waving the hands near the opponent's eyes for the express purpose of obstructing the vision so that he/she cannot see.

e. Climbing on or lifting a teammate to secure greater height.
f. Faking being fouled, knowingly attempting a free throw or accepting a foul to which the player was not entitled.
g. Use tobacco or smokeless tobacco.