The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Question

For the upcoming baseball season, I plan on becoming certified to umpire High School ball. For the past couple years I have been working local games with the equipment they provide. However, I plan on buying a whole set of apparel and equipment for the new season. I did a lot of browsing (and reading of reviews) and for price and quality, and I'm planning on ordering the My100 package from +POS, plus a few other items.

But, I'm curious about the sizing information for the chest protectors. They say to have the chest protector reach just beneath the ribcage, about 2-3inches above the navel. Why is it placed so high? I know the chances of getting hit lower around the abdomen are slim, but why risk it? What are the benefits of having the chest protector cut off higher up?

Also, +POS describes their masks as having 2" extended throat protection. Is a detachable throat protector also necessary, or will the mask cover enough?

Thanks for the replies and the help.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

You need to have the protector short enough for comfort and movability (bending, running, etc.). Also, so you can tuck your shirt in properly and not look like a dweeb with the protector hanging below your belt. Look at the female softball umpire in the +POS catalog. Her protector is WAY too long. I am small and had to have mine custom made for proper fit and protection.

Extended masks may be worn with or without a detachable
throat guard. Personal preference. Good luck with your
umpire certification.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

The one day I didn't have my own mask with its separate attachable throat protector, and had to fill in at the plate I took a foul shot to the throat. It dropped me for a few minutes. I had difficulty catching my breath and I was spitting blood. I finished the game with the softest strike and out calls I've ever had.

The x-rays indicated that I was lucky, no permanent damage, but I was sore as hell for a long time. This was perhaps three months ago and my adam's apple region is still a little sensitive to the touch.

There will be those who tell you that as long as you look down at the foul ball you'll close the gap and no ball can get under your mask and you don't need a throat protector.

Maybe.

I won't be without mine again.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 02:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB

I won't be without mine again.
That reminds me of a strange foul off my right shoulder that lodged between my mask, my dangly thing and the top of my chest protector and my neck. I had to tilt my head back to get the ball.
No harm done.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Chuck99
Thumbs up

Good choice with the MY100 package. You can mix and match at will. JMO Definitley get the dangling throat guard. I took a wicked shot to it once and did'nt feel a thing. Some will say it probably would never have hit my throat but IF it had who knows what would have happened. The BU in the game bought that night. Good Luck,Chuck.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thank You

Thanks for all your help!

-Larry