The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Question

I use a Wilson face mask with the extension at the bottom that's supposed to protect the throat. My chest protector is a Pro Nine that tucks nicely up to the throat but I still need to add a dangling throat protector to the bottom of the mask -- too many fouls bounce off the ground and get up there under the mask.

Here's my question: With the fixed mask extension, do members recommend the shorter 4" or the full 6" throat guard?
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 10:29am
Administrator

I think that it is personal preference. I have a +POS graphite mask with the throat extension and I still have a 6" throat guard attached to the throat extension. I just like to have as much protection as possible.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Mark. To be more specific, has anyone used the 4" throat guard on masks with a fixed extension and still found it to be not enough protection?
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MattLipinski
Thanks, Mark. To be more specific, has anyone used the 4" throat guard on masks with a fixed extension and still found it to be not enough protection?
I use the older Wilson light weight mask with the built-in throat protection + the short hanging throat protector.

I have taken several shots to the throat area with no damage. I have had a foul ball knock the plastic protector up against my throat, but the protection was still good.

I agree with you - the wire protector is not enough.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

I have the wilson & a 6" extension. The guys who had the short extensions may not be around anymore to tell us it was inadequate.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Well I have to mask, one is a pro9 light weight mask with a 6" throat guard that I use in the lower age in fast pitch. The second one is a Diamond Hockey style face mask that I use in the higher age group (ie JV, Varsity High school, 16U) I do not have one on that one cause it is right there protecting my throat are, but now you said something I will have to look and see if I would need one like a 4", I will let you know.

thanks
Ed
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to all who've replied. I decided to go with the 4" and picked it up today. I'll post my satisfaction level after I've used it for a while and tested its effectiveness.
Old Wed Jun 16, 2004, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

I have used a 4" throat protector with a my old All Star mask with the extended wire throat protector, and found it to be more than adequate. This year I bought the new Wilson super-duper-really-light-with-a-fancy-name mask, and also put the 4" throat protector on it. So far so good.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.