The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

And another ...............................

Partner in "C", runner at first. Line drive right at my partner's head, falls backwards at last minute. SS bobbles and drops ball, then kicks it. Everyone safe.

Catcher jumps up in my face screaming, "What the f**k is he doing there, what is he a moron, he cost us two outs, he's a f**king a$$hole"

The back-up catcher had a good rest of the game.

Doug
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

One little humorous one I run into from time to time - coaches unfamiliar with timing on ball/strike calls.

1. pow!

2. Coach from dugout/box: "Good eye, Johnny!"

3. Me: "Strike!!"
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
*SNIP*
Nicerat: What about the obstruction?
Me: There's no need for an award. The runner made it to third on his own.
N: No, you have to give my guy at third home plate, plus erase the out on the runner ahead of him and give him home on the obstruction.
M: No, the kid that got in the pickle wasn't obstructed. His out stands.
N: Well, I don't think so. My guy has to be forced home on the obstruction; and by the way, why didn't you call "time" when the obstruction occurred?
*SNIP*
A real first for me and another addition to the CS&FP rulebook: The Dreaded Unobstructed Runner Gets Huge Gift Syndrome.

Ace Holleran
I like the bit about the obstruction "forcing" the preceding runner home, as if everyone on the bases got a free pass to the next base! On the field I sometimes have trouble stifling a snicker at these creative touches.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Another one of my all time favorites.

Pitch bounces in the dirt but the batter swings anyway and ropes a gapper double, scoring 2 runs. Defensive coach comes running out yelling, "that ball is dead, that ball is dead, you're killing me blue". I call him down, and i ask him what he is talking about, he says, " a ball in the dirt is a dead ball, everyone knows that, blue..." I reply, "ok, next time you have a runner on third and the ball hits the dirt, i won't let him score." He gets this blank look on his face and without saying a word, turns and walks away.

I probably should have tossed him, but he was always so much fun!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

I used the exact same logic last night; had a team win a game Sun afternoon when the winning run scored on a past ball in the bottom of the last inning.

Last night, had the same team, again a tie game late, and their pitcher bounced one in and hit the batter - putting the winning run on base. Out the coach comes to argue the dead ball issue. I politely said it wasn't a dead ball and when he pushed the argument back I simply asked him if he wanted to go replay the previous day's game and put his "winning run" back at 3rd.

End of argument!
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I apologize for picking nits, but I've seen this about five times in the last three days: the proper scoring term is 'passed ball' -- a 'past ball' is one from yesteryear, I guess, or some other metaphysically odd entity.

If you think I'm making this up, you might look here.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 01:34pm

Or a 'passed ball' is one which has become recently deceased.

If you think I'm making this up, you might look here:Moony

Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbide Keyman
Partner in "C", runner at first. Line drive right at my partner's head, falls backwards at last minute. SS bobbles and drops ball, then kicks it. Everyone safe.

Catcher jumps up in my face screaming, "What the f**k is he doing there, what is he a moron, he cost us two outs, he's a f**king a$$hole"

The back-up catcher had a good rest of the game.

Doug
When I read this I laughed till I cried! I once had a catcher, who the coach told me, had Terret's syndrome! Well after a few innings I engaged a conversation with the catcher about his so called problem! The catcher said it wasn't true by saying, and I quote, "It's a f-ing lie"!
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Uncle George ....................................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle George
When I read this I laughed till I cried! I once had a catcher, who the coach told me, had Terret's syndrome! Well after a few innings I engaged a conversation with the catcher about his so called problem! The catcher said it wasn't true by saying, and I quote, "It's a f-ing lie"!

Now, that funny !!!

Doug
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 03:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle George
I have to tell this one:

Earlier this season I was doing a Saturday full of 3 Bronco games by myself. In the second game, this pesky F6 kept trying to keep R2 close to the base by slapping his glove at him repeatedly, jumping up and down stomping his feet, kicking dirt at him, and telling him "back, back." The way he was jumping around made him look like a horse's a$$.

One of the assistant coaches on the offensive team's bench hollered, "he looks like he's got Tourette's Syndrome." This caused many titters and guffaws, and even a few belly laughs out of the peanut gallery. I, myself could not help a little chuckle out of it.

Of course, the defensive coach didn't think it was all that funny. He approached me between innings and told me that he did not appreciate the other coach's remark, and that he didn't want his shortstop being characterized like that. I said, "you didn't think that was funny?" He said no, but I could see that he was trying not to laugh. He knew it was damn funny!

Naturally, I found out later between games from the guy who made the comment, that it was the coach's son, and that's why he made a big deal about it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Wed Jul 12, 2006 at 03:37pm.