The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Fake Tag-Case Book

Ok, the Case Book says that a runner going into 2nd base who gets fake tagged by the SS gets "awarded" 2nd base(unless he would have made third in my expert opinion) AND a runner going BACK to 1st base who gets fake tagged gets awarded 2nd base.

What do you think of just assuming that anybody going into 2nd who gets fake tagged has already touched the base so, he gets 3rd? It just drives me crazy to award a base for one runner who was going backward and award nothing to the runner who is already there.

Sorry, I did not proofread that- Did I make any sense just now?

Joe
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

in FED a fake tag is obstruction, and all obstruction penalties apply, so that should govern your thinking here- at least one base beyond the last legally attained. Imagine the fielder tackled him instead of slapping him with an empty glove.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
in FED a fake tag is obstruction, and all obstruction penalties apply, so that should govern your thinking here- at least one base beyond the last legally attained. Imagine the fielder tackled him instead of slapping him with an empty glove.
I understand it, LMan...I just don't agree with it. The guy sliding into 2nd base gets no award whatsoever and the guy going BACK to first gets a "MAJOR AWARD".

Joe
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
I believe the award is 1 base beyond the position, not the last base obtained.

FED 8.3.2

Runner going back to 1st gets 2nd.
Runner going into 2nd gets 3rd.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 04:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn
Ok, the Case Book says that a runner going into 2nd base who gets fake tagged by the SS gets "awarded" 2nd base(unless he would have made third in my expert opinion) AND a runner going BACK to 1st base who gets fake tagged gets awarded 2nd base.

What do you think of just assuming that anybody going into 2nd who gets fake tagged has already touched the base so, he gets 3rd? It just drives me crazy to award a base for one runner who was going backward and award nothing to the runner who is already there.

Sorry, I did not proofread that- Did I make any sense just now?

Joe
The Case Book says that the runner is awarded second, or if, in the umpire's judgment, the runner could have advanced further had obstruction not occurred, the umpire could award additional bases.

It doesn't matter whether or not the runner has touched 2nd base yet or not. Don't let it drive you crazy, just award the base you feel the runner would have made, and you'll do just fine.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 04:35pm

Quote:
I understand it, LMan...I just don't agree with it. The guy sliding into 2nd base gets no award whatsoever and the guy going BACK to first gets a "MAJOR AWARD".
The runner is only awarded the base he is going into when it is a steal play and the catcher does not throw. Any other fake tag situation, the umpire can use his discretion as to the awarding of bases. Case Book 8.3.2 SIT. E and 8.3.2 SIT B (for the previous post).
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
The runner is only awarded the base he is going into when it is a steal play and the catcher does not throw. Any other fake tag situation, the umpire can use his discretion as to the awarding of bases. Case Book 8.3.2 SIT. E and 8.3.2 SIT B (for the previous post).
Actually, starting in 2006, runners that are obstructed going BACK to a base get the NEXT base-MANDATORY.

Did nobody get the Major Award joke?

Joe
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtnblu
I believe the award is 1 base beyond the position, not the last base obtained.

FED 8.3.2

Runner going back to 1st gets 2nd.
Runner going into 2nd gets 3rd.
Nope: the runner going into 2d's "position" is still 1st until he reaches [is ON] 2d.
"You is where you was 'til you gets where you're goin'...."

Unless the fake tag prevented R1 from making 3d [in the umpire's opinion], he stays at 2d.
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, starting in 2006, runners that are obstructed going BACK to a base get the NEXT base-MANDATORY.
That was the rule for a long time prior to 2006.

On your original question -- why should the rule for "fake tag obstruction" be any different from the rule for any other type of obstruction?

Play: R1 is caught in a rundown. He's obstructed by F1 (a) just prior to returning to first, or (b) just prior to obtaining second. In each case, the umpire is certain that the runner would have obtained the base he was trying for (first and second, respectively) and no additional bases.

Ruling: Award R1 second base in both cases.