The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 08, 2006, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I respectfully disagree, Garth. Good timing is seeing the ball all the way to the mitt, making a slight hesitation, and then making the call. If you don't make that slight hesitation you'll miss some of those nasty breaking pitches and most likely a foul tip or two.

Tim.
Hestitation is phony timing. It accomplishes nothing. It's no different than the Smittys who tell you, "Count one-one thousand, two, before calling a pitch." Garbage.

If you utilize proper use of the eyes you won't miss any "nasty" breaking pitches, foult tips or dropped third strikes for that matter. But first, you must learn proper use of the eyes.
Old Sat Jul 08, 2006, 01:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Hestitation is phony timing. It accomplishes nothing. It's no different than the Smittys who tell you, "Count one-one thousand, two, before calling a pitch." Garbage.

If you utilize proper use of the eyes you won't miss any "nasty" breaking pitches, foult tips or dropped third strikes for that matter. But first, you must learn proper use of the eyes.
I ain't never learned nuthin' 'bout no baseball umpirin' from no Smittys, but I have been instructed not to call pitches too quickly, and was even evaluated down once for a perceived "too quick timing" on pitches. This was from a big shot muckity muck pro school guru type guy, who wanted everyone to be as slow and deliberate as Greg Bonin or like Jerry Layne used to be (Jerry has speeded it up a bit).

I agree that counting the seconds is ridiculous, but a delayed strike call has always been taught in the clinics and classrooms I have been a part of. It only shows that you are not rushing your call, not that you are "hesitant." Of course now, I never attended any classes taught by Jim Evans, so I can't speak for what he teaches.

I don't miss any nasty breaking pitches, foul tips, or dropped third strikes either. I must have proper eye usage.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jul 08, 2006, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Well, I had 2 nasty fair/foul calls lately. Both were in 18U tourney games.

1. R1, RH batter is a little late and loops a liner down the RF line. F3 is just inside the line, and the coach comes up to the line just in foul territory. They're looking down the line and block me out. Ball drops fast - too fast for me to read the problem and adjust to see where it lands.

2. R1, RH batter pulls one to deep left, right into the setting sun. I move down the line, watching F7 run toward the line to make the play. I try to pick up the ball, but can't. Next time I see the ball it's bouncing up.

I understand that these are both my fault: I need to get in position somehow to make the call in (1), and I need to pick up the ball in (2). I called both 'foul', but I like the idea of calling it fair when the batter "beats" the pitcher.

There was quite a bit of crying in (1), as I guess the ball landed on the line. In (2) only the 3B coach cried, which means either that the ball was foul or that nobody else could see it either!
Old Sat Jul 08, 2006, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

When there is no line where there should be a line, and the home team is not going to put a line in, my standard thing to say is:

"Since there is an imaginary line, you gentlemen are going to imagine that I get every close call on that line right!". That gets a good laugh, but also gets my point across!

If you make all the close ones go against the home team, you will see a line by the next game!

I don't see any problem with having the PU take ALL fair/foul calls on the lines if there are no lines in the outfield.
Old Sat Jul 08, 2006, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I ain't never learned nuthin' 'bout no baseball umpirin' from no Smittys, but I have been instructed not to call pitches too quickly, and was even evaluated down once for a perceived "too quick timing" on pitches.
With good timing - proper use of the eyes - one will not call pitches too quickly, and one will not have to utilize any phony hesitation. The timing will be correct without it.

Also, with good timing - proper use of the eyes - one will not make callst to quickly on the bases and will never have to say, "Out..no...Safe". Again, this will ocurr without any phony hesitation. Propers use of the eyes will provide the correct timing.

This not just a "Jim Evans" thing. This is taught at both pro schools.

Instead of taking someone else word for proper mechanics, whether it is one of your local "mucky mucks" or anyone on the internet, go get trained first hand. The Evans Desert Classic is not far from you and will make you a better umpire in a week.
Old Sat Jul 08, 2006, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did anybody hear something?
If a poster on the ignore-list types, did he make a sound?
Old Sat Jul 08, 2006, 07:35pm

Quote:
With good timing - proper use of the eyes - one will not call pitches too quickly, and one will not have to utilize any phony hesitation. The timing will be correct without it.

Also, with good timing - proper use of the eyes - one will not make callst to quickly on the bases and will never have to say, "Out..no...Safe". Again, this will ocurr without any phony hesitation. Propers use of the eyes will provide the correct timing.

This not just a "Jim Evans" thing. This is taught at both pro schools.

Instead of taking someone else word for proper mechanics, whether it is one of your local "mucky mucks" or anyone on the internet, go get trained first hand. The Evans Desert Classic is not far from you and will make you a better umpire in a week.
That is what I was saying. I was evaluated down, even though my timing was actually right on the money. This eval was done by a totally anal guy who couldn't find anything else to criticize me for. Oh, he also docked me for sweat appearing on my Elbeco shirt (this in 1992, remember) during a game in 85 degree heat. What a joke. I sweat working the plate in a snowstorm.

I have no problems with timing on the bases either. I don't make "out...no....safe" calls. My "hesitation" is not phony, it come from years and years of fine-tuning my calls. Like I also said, I must have the proper use of my eyes, so as not to have these things happen. I realize that the proper use of one's eyes is extremely important, I had just never heard it directly connected with timing before. Now I have.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25