The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

yeah, you're right. I haven't posted in about a year but I've been reading some about what you guys are saying so I haven't left. For some reason I just got an urge to put "WOBW" to see if anybody would remember. I guess the answer is yes. Anyways, I'll stop now. I understand I was a prick last year. I was (and still am) a pretty new umpire and now I have a year of high school under my belt and have come to realize in life that the more you do something and the more experienced you become, the less dogmatic you are about certain things. Again, my apologies and I will continue to read what you guys write about and try to stay out of everybody's business. It's pretty much hopeless on this forum anyways, if I say something, somebody else is gonna smart off...that's just the way it works on here and I can't do anything about it, somebody will probably smart off about this post. So I figured out the solution...just don't say anything. Good luck fellas!
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

dudeinblue,

As in all things, do as you think best.

However, I had no intention of discouraging you from posting on this forum. Ask questions. Answer them. This is how we all learn.

When I first came across this forum, it quickly became clear to me that many who post here "Do not suffer fools gladly." It was also clear to me that I could learn an awful lot from many of them - as long as I didn't needlessly piss them off.

So, when I started posting here, I was a little careful. I tried not to ask "stupid" questions (there are, in fact, stupid questions); and, when I answered a question, I did my best to make sure my answer was correct.

I did not let the "bullies" intimidate me, and I avoided "pissing contests" as best I could. As a result, I feel I've learned a lot. I hope I have also contributed to the forum - which others will ultimately judge.

So, as in all things, do as you think best. As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't mind seeing more of your posts. At least so long as the content is a little more interesting than "WOBW".

JMHO.

JM
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Just to further prove "to each their own," I don't own a pair of pleated pants, as the look would be quite unflattering on someone of my size. I hate seeing pleated pants on big umpires.
You do know, don't you, that according to fashion etiquette, pleated pants are supposed to look better on bigger guys than nonpleated pants. For one thing, the infamous pocket ears are more prevalent on nonpleated pants worn by big guys.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Dear UMP25

Who do you get your fashion advice from?

Both Carson and Clinton strongly say that pleated pants do NOTHING but make fat umpires look more fat.

I would suggest you consult a real fashionesta before giving incorrect advice.

Regards,
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Who do you get your fashion advice from?

Both Carson and Clinton strongly say that pleated pants do NOTHING but make fat umpires look more fat.

I would suggest you consult a real fashionesta before giving incorrect advice.

Regards,
"More fat"? If you're going to pretend to criticize, use the proper term, "fatter."
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Hehehe,

FO Baby, FO.

Regards,
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
FO Baby, FO.

Regards,
One year since I've posted and the man hasn't changed a bit. How can such a respected, veteran umpire act so immature and be such a jerk?

Regards
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
FO Baby, FO.

Regards,
Tim,

You really must adopt a sense of humor. How you could have lasted this long in umpiring without one is rather unbelievable.

I know you're the closest thing we have to perfection here, but really, getting needled because you erred in the use of the King's English then getting all potty mouthed...

BTW, you could have been more creative. "FO" is not very original, you know.

Hugs & kisses...
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeinblue
One year since I've posted and the man hasn't changed a bit. How can such a respected, veteran umpire act so immature and be such a jerk?

Regards
Don't worry. It's usually the sign of affection and jealousy when such folks make such comments.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire Fashion

Interesting post . . .

Umpires' uniforms have been evolving for quite some time, of course, as has the equipment we use.

The lastest and greatest craze seems to have started when Fox took over national baseball broadcasts and put umpires for the first time in navy "jerseys", abandoning the ELBECO blue, which, by the way, while a little Poindexter looking, was a hell of a lot cooler (and easier to get on over your chest protector) than the navy thing. And remember the ridiculous hats MLB guys had to wear for a couple of seasons with the big@$$ red "A" or "N" on them?

I would estimate, conservatively, that I have spent $2k on uniforms in the last four years. "Uniforms" means everything that's not equipment. I replaced both pairs of shoes this year, bought both navy and black jackets, black and cream shirts, new black and navy winter (wool) and summer (mesh) hats . . . socks, etc., etc., I have navy, tomato, black, cream and powder for high school, legion and every thing else that is not Babe Ruth . . . and navy, powder and tomato for Babe Ruth (patches sewn on). Babe Ruth is the only league I work where a patch is required. I hate velcro and the temporary glue that I sweat off before the bottom of the first. My association recommends but does not require numbers, so all of my shirts and jackets have my number on them.

And of course, the single biggest uniform purchase I have ever made as an umpire was the no-$h!t Feccheimer plate coat, which is apparently now (a) out of fashion and (b) out of color (mine's navy). I don't care. We start high school baseball around here in the third week of February- it's buttcold and I am going to do what I can to be comfortable. Plus, it cost me $250 13 years ago, when I was a baby lawyer and I couldn't afford it.

We are not fashion plates. I have yet to have a MILF come up to me after a game and say "I like the way those gray polyester slacks make your butt look." The clothing should be functional, professional looking and comfortable. Of course, what the MLB guys wear always has a way of filtering down to us, but then again, they don't have to buy their uniforms. I will steadfastly resist the "polo" blue, the longsleeve any shirt (if it's cold enough for long sleeves, it's cold enough for a jacket) and the silver. And have you seen this REDICKEROUS black zip-up jacket they are wearing with the short sleeves? WTF?

Strikes and outs!
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Well, (in my own self important way)

I take responsibility for everything I write or say.

I really have no interest in anything "dudeinblue" could write. He is, afterall, on my all time six man umpire crew of the "internets finest."

And I write for understanding and seldom worry about the detail you mention. I am educated and have posted (forever) that I care little about the forms of grammar.

Plate coats have never left (kinda like Bob's Big Boy). I have both navy and black. And in Seattle 17 years ago (long before FOX) we went to Navy over ELBECO.

Regards,

Last edited by Tim C; Fri Jun 16, 2006 at 04:44pm.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLawyer
And of course, the single biggest uniform purchase I have ever made as an umpire was the no-$h!t Feccheimer plate coat, which is apparently now (a) out of fashion and (b) out of color (mine's navy). I don't care. We start high school baseball around here in the third week of February- it's buttcold and I am going to do what I can to be comfortable. Plus, it cost me $250 13 years ago, when I was a baby lawyer and I couldn't afford it.

Strikes and outs!
I had to purchase one last year for NCAA ball... $375 for the Frankenstein coat?
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Plate Coat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblu40
I had to purchase one last year for NCAA ball... $375 for the Frankenstein coat?
I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one who continues to insist on wearing one- I'm one of three or four guys in my association who even owns one any more.

Strikes and outs!
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Let me make that previous post clear... I had to purchase it...
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, BL, I think they look much better than jackets. I've got a navy plate coat but not a black one. Does Fechheimer make the black ones? Who sells them? I'd get one from Honig's, but their brand of plate coats I don't like. They seem cheap and low quality.