The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   NFHS Uniform? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/26953-nfhs-uniform.html)

mrm21711 Thu Jun 08, 2006 09:06pm

NFHS Uniform?

A few of my association members are "giddy" because they believe/heard that NFHS might switch from navy to black uniform tops for us. Any credence to these rumors?

U of M Sam Thu Jun 08, 2006 09:12pm

You talking baseball and softball, or just baseball? Possibly all states or just some?
Sam

DG Thu Jun 08, 2006 09:49pm

I was not aware NFHS had a blue standard. I thought that was an individual state thing. And I would rather the state adopt the powder blue as optional than be looking for black to be the standard.

LMan Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:11pm

Each state establishes its uniform (pants, shirts, pullover, etc), AFAIK.

bob jenkins Fri Jun 09, 2006 07:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan
Each state establishes its uniform (pants, shirts, pullover, etc), AFAIK.

I'm certainly not disputing that states might change this (officially or not), but the FED uniform is specified in 10-1-9. The part of "by state adoption" refers to adopting the navy pullover rather than the light blue Elbeco.

LMan Fri Jun 09, 2006 08:07am

Point taken. I may be reading more into the 'state directives' that come down from the Mount than they deserve (such as the directive to put American flags on our shirts post 9-11, and such).

Tim C Fri Jun 09, 2006 09:17am

Officially speaking:

The NFHS has made a STRONG stance against changing the requirments for uniforms.

If Eliott had it his way we'd be in Elbecos.

Here's why:

Expense. In my local group navy, light blue and black are accepted during the high school season. Creme is added to the list during the summer. Our assignor has banned Red at all times.

We have a great problem every year with subtle changes that make crews look different from each other.

Light Blue: We were able to work through the "trim" issue. Some had red and white piping and other navy and white . . . we selected to accept that. THEN WHAT HAPPENED: The dreaded Delta Blue w/ black collar arrived.

Grey Pants: It used to be so easy. Grey (sometimes turning to pink) pants from "most suppliers" looked pretty uniform. We only had to deal with pleats (please note that the NFHS Umpire Manual forbids wearing pleated pants) but we worked through that . . . UNTIL:

Poly/Wool Blend pants came on and they are a darker shade of grey.

Trouble in River City AGAIN.

Now remember this is coming from a guy that carries forty seven (47) different shirts to ALL games:

We are out of control!

It is not on the NFHS National Agenda to change, yet again, umpire uniforms.

We allow local crews to decide what they want to wear. The single largest complaint about umpire uniforms at this year's State Championship Triple Header was the difference in PANT color when all umpires were attempting to wear "grey" slacks.

Regards,

nickrego Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:41pm

Our association has stuck with Navy Blue / Powder Blue as the official colors. If both umpires wish to wear Black or Creme, that is OK also. The only guys who wear Black / Creme, are those who also work at the college level.

I doubt the official colors will change, as most associations do not want they're entire membership to have to purchase several new shirts. And chasing MLB colors is like wrestling a pig in the mud; You probably won't keep up.

I think a quick solution would be for each umpire to stay in their positions, during play, between innings, and quit standing around together, yakking so much. Then nobody will notice the slight color differences.

Blue piping vs. Red, slightly darker Gray slacks, Delta Blue vs. Powder Blue...I think we are worried about the wrong things at the HS level. Our customers just want umpires that are on time, look professional, act professional, and call a good game. Nobody gives a rats a$$ about subtle uniform differences, other than those who have nothing better to do than administrate. I'm so glad our assignor isn't one of them.

briancurtin Fri Jun 09, 2006 07:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C
please note that the NFHS Umpire Manual forbids wearing pleated pants

really? i absolutely hate flat front pants and would never buy them probably ever. i dont even think any of the dress pants that i own are flat front.

DG Fri Jun 09, 2006 09:58pm

I only have pleated pants. My state only allows dark blue shirts for HS games. Powder would be good for warm/hot days. That's all I want, but it ain't coming. The reason I have heard is the state does not want to require umpires to have to fork out another $32 for another shirt, altough many of the guys I work with already have one for summer or college ball.

dudeinblue Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:15pm

Wobw......

umpduck11 Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudeinblue
Wobw......

Spoken like a true expert. :rolleyes:

Rich Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C
The NFHS has made a STRONG stance against changing the requirments for uniforms.

If Eliott had it his way we'd be in Elbecos.

Here's why:

Expense. In my local group navy, light blue and black are accepted during the high school season. Creme is added to the list during the summer. Our assignor has banned Red at all times.

We have a great problem every year with subtle changes that make crews look different from each other.

Light Blue: We were able to work through the "trim" issue. Some had red and white piping and other navy and white . . . we selected to accept that. THEN WHAT HAPPENED: The dreaded Delta Blue w/ black collar arrived.

Grey Pants: It used to be so easy. Grey (sometimes turning to pink) pants from "most suppliers" looked pretty uniform. We only had to deal with pleats (please note that the NFHS Umpire Manual forbids wearing pleated pants) but we worked through that . . . UNTIL:

Poly/Wool Blend pants came on and they are a darker shade of grey.

Trouble in River City AGAIN.

Now remember this is coming from a guy that carries forty seven (47) different shirts to ALL games:

We are out of control!

It is not on the NFHS National Agenda to change, yet again, umpire uniforms.

We allow local crews to decide what they want to wear. The single largest complaint about umpire uniforms at this year's State Championship Triple Header was the difference in PANT color when all umpires were attempting to wear "grey" slacks.

Regards,

Tee,

I'll take your word regarding pleated pants since I toss the FED manual in the trash the minute it arrives.

--Rich

SanDiegoSteve Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin
really? i absolutely hate flat front pants and would never buy them probably ever. i dont even think any of the dress pants i own that are flat front.

Just to further prove "to each their own," I don't own a pair of pleated pants, as the look would be quite unflattering on someone of my size. I hate seeing pleated pants on big umpires.

bossman72 Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:51am

Our state requires navy as the default with powder blue as an alternative (if you partner has it of course). No other colors are allowed during HS season.

Legion/colts is the same as HS. For Rec and over 30, black, red, and cream are allowed.

I've always wanted to get colors other than navy and powder blue, but not enough people in my association have those different colors, so it would be useless to buy if i can't wear it because my partner doesn't have one.

Also, i've read here that red shirts are frowned upon all over the place. Why is this?