Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Sooooooo....today was the first day...

of perfect games being called in MiLB!

I kept expecting to see a parade or something from the fans and players because the AMLU guys are back doing games, because the job they do is SO OBVIOUSLY superior to what the "scabs" could do.

But, no parade. Not even a news article yet. Hmmmmmmmm...Maybe people just didn't notice?

Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 01:30am

We got the point a long, long, long time ago.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
I noticed.

There is a big difference between the fill-in's, AKA Scabs, and the real McCoy.

Most likely, only players and umpires would notice the subtle differences, but to me, the differences stand out like shining diamonds (the real McCoy's).

If nothing else, the MiLB guys actually get to their 'between inning' positions before the defense has left the field. I won't even get into taking a runner all the way to 3rd.

There is a post out there, attempting to toot the horn about how the game was kept going by the scabs. Just keeping the game going, is a far cry from making the game roar along, as it should.

What comes to my mind is a ship that is in trouble, and taking on water. They call up the Bilge Boys from below decks to scoop out the water, so the Deck Hands can fix the leak. Back down to the Bilge boys !

Nick
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Morning gang, I'm still not feeling my own 'devils advocate self' but I saw this thread and wanted to weigh in.

Nick, please be careful generalizing about the replacement umpires. Some of them were former MiLB hires and many had pro school under their belts. Still others worked full time college schedules and brought many years of experience to the park. While we had a few tragic examples of officiating by some replacements, those stories always make the news. The fact that the spin machine was in full gear only exacerbated the issue. Hundreds of games went on, counted and had no more issues than any other night.

Your analogy of a sinking ship is not spot on either. MiLB was in fine shape and didn't founder when the replacements walked through the gates. These guys may not be heroes to the AMLU membership, but they are to the people who count on the income they earn from the MiLB program in their town. Without the replacements, the season would have been scrubbed and careers may have ended.

Please don't fall for the line that the amateurs out there were an embarassment. It took a lot of guts to do what they did. Some were threatened, blackballed and harassed in person and online. They still went out there and made the calls - some of the toughest ones that they'll ever see. They didn't do it with dreams of a professional contract either. That fallacy was perpetuated by Jiggy and a couple others. The replacements went out there to maintain America's greatest game.

I've been to enough small ball parks in our country and have witnessed a pretty cool phenomena. In rural America (where many small clubs are), the family goes to the park as a special treat. When you see the face of a seven year old kid as he gets to sit fifty feet from the game, it is something special. They sit there with their mitts and hot dogs, praying that a foul ball comes their way. A lot of memorries get made at those small town ball parks. Sure, I'm making this sentimental but I think that's only fair when you consider that one group wanted to take those memories away. The game went on thanks to another group of guys who took up the challenge. They earned a few bucks and a couple of stories in the process. That's all right by me.

The umpire is never bigger than the game.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
I noticed.

There is a big difference between the fill-in's, AKA Scabs, and the real McCoy.

Most likely, only players and umpires would notice the subtle differences, but to me, the differences stand out like shining diamonds (the real McCoy's).

If nothing else, the MiLB guys actually get to their 'between inning' positions before the defense has left the field. I won't even get into taking a runner all the way to 3rd.
If between inning positions is top on the list of differences then I'd have to say the replacements did a darn good job.
I hope AMLU can fill their shoes the rest of the way.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Actually, I saw the AMLU guys work Sunday's game that Roger Clemens pitched in AA. Maybe it's because I'm an umpire, but I immediately noticed by just seeing the highlights from the game, that those were not the scabs working that game.

I'm not trying to start anything, just making an observation based on a minute of highlights I saw on ESPN.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Did you notice????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Giaco
Actually, I saw the AMLU guys work Sunday's game that Roger Clemens pitched in AA. Maybe it's because I'm an umpire, but I immediately noticed by just seeing the highlights from the game, that those were not the scabs working that game.

I'm not trying to start anything, just making an observation based on a minute of highlights I saw on ESPN.

There was also a missed pickoff at 1st and 2 blown rotations (not rotating home and both guys on the bags going to 2nd for the same call) but as Nick said they busted as* between innings.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsttxump
There was also a missed pickoff at 1st and 2 blown rotations (not rotating home and both guys on the bags going to 2nd for the same call) but as Nick said they busted as* between innings.
My god! Say it isn't so!!!

Are they busting butt between innings to pull a Randazzo?

Imagine though, an umpire with maybe 3-5 years experience messing something up!
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Giaco
The only reason I noticed was because the umpire at 2nd had a navy blue dazzle shirt on with a flag patch on the back of the shirt...and the plate guy went out to the left.

Only idiots go out to the left...and we have 5 of them in the Major Leagues.
- Tim McClealand, as told to someone through a PBUC roving instructor.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

At 75 Last Night I Noticed The World Spinning Smoothly Once Again.

Ball Parks Around The Country Were Filled With Perfection For The First Time This Summer......

The Amlu Spent The First Half Of The Season Like Penny-henny....

The Sky Is Falling, The Sky Is Falling.....or In There Case..........

The Game Is Crumbling, The Game Is Crumbling....well After That

Didn't Work And It Was Very Clear That The Game Was Passing Them

By.....well We Know The Rest.......that Extra 30 Bucks A Month And Yippee.......

Perfection Has Returned To The Yard............

Sleep Easy All You Minor League Players There Will Be No More

Pitches Missed, No More Kicked Calls, And Your New Umpires

Will Bust A$$ To Their Positions Between Innings..........
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue

Your analogy of a sinking ship is not spot on either. MiLB was in fine shape and didn't founder when the replacements walked through the gates. These guys may not be heroes to the AMLU membership, but they are to the people who count on the income they earn from the MiLB program in their town. Without the replacements, the season would have been scrubbed and careers may have ended.

Please don't fall for the line that the amateurs out there were an embarassment. It took a lot of guts to do what they did. Some were threatened, blackballed and harassed in person and online. They still went out there and made the calls - some of the toughest ones that they'll ever see. They didn't do it with dreams of a professional contract either. That fallacy was perpetuated by Jiggy and a couple others. The replacements went out there to maintain America's greatest game.
To a man, I'll bet most of the replacements had this on their mind:

During the lockout/strike of 1994, the whole season was lost. No World Series, playoffs, or anything else. That hurt alot of people.

During the AMLU strike, most of the possible replacement guys had a very tough decision to make. They put baseball on one side of the scale and the AMLU on the other. Guess which one prevailed.

The game is bigger than all of us, whether you are union or not. I don't begrudge the replacements a bit.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

WWTB-
You say that many of these SCABs didn't go out there with the "dreams of a pro contract" and that this was a fallacy? You are wrong.
In the New England area, the NCAA director of baseball umpiring sent a memo to all of his umpires stating, "This is a great opportunity. Working these games may even be a new avenue of approach to an MLB career."

To say that there is no difference between amatures and professionals is naive... in any respect, be it umpiring, construction, or any other field of endeavor. As for former MiLB umps filling in, there is a reason they are former, right?

Just my 2 cents.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

ctblu40.....is it possible some of the former minor league umpires retired???

or chose to leave the game on their own terms!!!!! you wouldn't be so

arrogant as to assume they were all released now would you??????

like several of the amlu guys that decided not to return to work after the

strike......were they fired or did they live under their own terms??????
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

My brother happens to be one of those guys who left on his own after the strike. Please don't confuse my previous comment with arrogance. Most former pros who left on their own wouldn't SCAB. It's the guys who can't let go who scabbed.
BTW- I personally know 4 previously released MiLB umps who refused to work these games. I know that doesn't represent a large proportion of the population under consideration here, but thats what I got. I call 'em as I see 'em.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

there you go again.....any former minor league ump that worked just can't let go huh??????

it is amazing how you can know the reasons why a guy would work or not work.....

you are amazing........a mind reader no less........
Closed Thread