The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 21, 2006, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Disappointed in AMLU

After talking to a handful of people from different parts of the country, it is apparent that minor league umpires are working more and more amateur games. In fact, some have taken college post season assignments in a "non emergency" basis. They have also accepted independent pro ball games for the summer.

This goes directly against what they said they would not do. When the strike began, emails were sent out from the AMLU stating they would not take games unless it was on a last minute, fill in basis. NCAA post season college assignments don't exactly fill in the criteria. Independent pro leagues haven't even started and minor league guys are already taking games (just what I said was going to happen if the strike wasn't settled).

I've put in a few calls/voicemails to Andy Roberts, explaining the situation and none of them have been returned. There is obvious dissention within the AMLU and now that the strike's end is no where in sight, the minor league guys are doing whatever they feel necessary to put "food on the table".

I am disspointed because I turned back a AAA schedule back in April to support these guys and now, they are taking post season opportunities from my fellow "college umpire brethern". I still have the opportunity to take minor league games now that my college season is coming to a close. The question I am struggling with now is... Does two wrongs make a right???
Old Sun May 21, 2006, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Sal, you might be struggling with the wrong question. You might well ask instead: were you right initially to think that the AMLU's leadership and direction are worth your support?

This has a parallel with the military: do we best "support our troops" by trusting the leadership that is putting them in harm's way, or by protesting and trying to get them safely home?

To answer either question, you need to judge whether the leadership's ends are worth pursuing, and whether their proposed means are likely to succeed better than any other. Then it's easier to decide what you should do.

Finally, it's not really a struggle to conclude that two wrongs do not make a right, but instead often lead to cycles of retribution and revenge.
Old Sun May 21, 2006, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Go for it, Sal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Giaco
After talking to a handful of people from different parts of the country, it is apparent that minor league umpires are working more and more amateur games. In fact, some have taken college post season assignments in a "non emergency" basis. They have also accepted independent pro ball games for the summer.

This goes directly against what they said they would not do. When the strike began, emails were sent out from the AMLU stating they would not take games unless it was on a last minute, fill in basis. NCAA post season college assignments don't exactly fill in the criteria. Independent pro leagues haven't even started and minor league guys are already taking games (just what I said was going to happen if the strike wasn't settled).

I've put in a few calls/voicemails to Andy Roberts, explaining the situation and none of them have been returned. There is obvious dissention within the AMLU and now that the strike's end is no where in sight, the minor league guys are doing whatever they feel necessary to put "food on the table".

I am disspointed because I turned back a AAA schedule back in April to support these guys and now, they are taking post season opportunities from my fellow "college umpire brethern". I still have the opportunity to take minor league games now that my college season is coming to a close. The question I am struggling with now is... Does two wrongs make a right???
Sal, go for it.

Even if it would be wrong to do MiiLB games if the AMLU was not taking Amateur and Indepenent pro games, it clearly cannot be the same now. They want carte blance to do whatever they want and then expect people to refuse MiLB games out of respect for their strike.

It is the typical union mindset.

Support us always no matter what: just because we are a union.

Support us always no matter what: even if it is not in your best interest.

Support us always no matter what: even if we take actions that directly effect you, your family and your career negativley.

Joe
Old Sun May 21, 2006, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
I heard, pst pst pst...

Could someone from one of the leagues the MiLB umpires are supposed to be umpiring in please confirm this.

Especially someone who lost an assignment to an MiLB umpire.

Thanks,

Nick
Old Sun May 21, 2006, 12:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think people who assign umpires pick the best people. If you feel that someone "took your job" then it was not your job to begin with. Or at the very least you were not good enough to stay there. I have been working all Minor League guys all spring and they have not hurt my schedule in any way. Even if the strike had ended, I think anyone that has the opportunity to work any game can work any game. Amateur baseball for the most part has an "independent contractor" relationship. Leagues and conferences can hire who ever they want to and when they want to. It just happens that many umpires are currently in a strike.

Peace
Old Sun May 21, 2006, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

While the strike is not yet over...neither are the negotiations. There is still a federal mediator involved and both sides have admitted wanting to get a deal done soon. This thing will get resolved sooner or later eliminating issues like this one.

-Benjamin Franklin
Old Sun May 21, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I think people who assign umpires pick the best people. If you feel that someone "took your job" then it was not your job to begin with. Or at the very least you were not good enough to stay there. I have been working all Minor League guys all spring and they have not hurt my schedule in any way. Even if the strike had ended, I think anyone that has the opportunity to work any game can work any game. Amateur baseball for the most part has an "independent contractor" relationship. Leagues and conferences can hire who ever they want to and when they want to. It just happens that many umpires are currently in a strike.

Peace
Is that a one way street, or does it go both ways?
Old Sun May 21, 2006, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

I could have sworn that he once wrote that he gets his college assignments 'simply because he is available'. That doesn't sound like the best umpire is being put on the field.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jiggy still doesn't get it. Only one side needs the negotiations to renew. MiLB has not made a new offer and has not initiated talks since the union voted against the arbiter's offer. The matter will not get settled by MiLB yielding any more and he knows it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The person who began this thread should have known better than to do what he did. Six months ago I was chastised for telling this board that the AMLU guys would begin taking the plums as soon as they saw the writing on the wall. I guess those reserves didn't last as long as they thought - or the strike went much longer than they ever imagined.

The local AMLU guys will grab those indie games and many NCAA/NJCAA post season assignments. They will suck up the American Legion tournaments and any adult baseball they deem worthy. They will argue that they are just as entitled to apply for those assignments as an amateur working as a replacement for MiLB games. The problem with that is they swore they wouldn't do it and a couple of you fell for it. Can you find that entreaty on the AMLU site any longer? Lah me!
Old Sun May 21, 2006, 06:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by left coast
Is that a one way street, or does it go both ways?
It is only a two way street when both streets match. You cannot compare the Dan Ryan to the Tri-State equally.

Peace
Old Sun May 21, 2006, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
: They (AMLU) asked for support and got none. Looks like they read the writing on the wall so to speak.
OK then - I guess "all bets are off" - I didn't realize it was so obvious. The door is officially open - amateurs take all the MiLB assignments you want because the AMLU is taking any assignments they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
: Now I guess the lower level D-1 umpires that were expecting to get playoff assignments are hacked off.
For your information, I received post season assignments at both the D-II and D-I level. That's neither here nor there. The point is their are a lot of amatuer umpires that have put their time in at the NCAA level and would have gotten their shot to work post season if the AMLU guys didn't accept the assignments like they said they wouldn't... unless it was an emergency.
Old Sun May 21, 2006, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have been working all Minor League guys all spring and they have not hurt my schedule in any way.
We're not talking about regular season... We're talking about post-season - where there are plenty of qualified umpires to fill those assignments but were not given the opportunity because an AMLU guy accepted it rather than respectfully decline it to his fellow amateur "brethern". By the way, ofcourse it didn't affect your schedule because you aren't close to being considered for COLLEGE post season assignments... yet?

Quote:
Leagues and conferences can hire who ever they want to and when they want to.
No sh!t - ofcourse they are going to select the best umpires possible because that's their job. I am not blaming the assignors for asking the AMLU guys for post season, I'm pissed at the MiLB guys who accepted them - knowing quite well that there are amateurs waiting/hoping to finally get a shot.

Last edited by Sal Giaco; Sun May 21, 2006 at 10:42pm.
Old Sun May 21, 2006, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIGGY
This thing will get resolved sooner or later eliminating issues like this one.
Wow Jiggy, I guess you don't get it. The point is that this issue should have never come up because the AMLU said they wouldn't take amateur assignments. There are alot of D-I and ex Pro guys here in Michigan and Indiana that banded together to support them - we all got calls from League Presidents and we all refused to work. Why didn't the AMLU guys refuse the post season assignments when they got the call???????
Old Sun May 21, 2006, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

rhetorical, right?

Quote:
Wow Jiggy, I guess you don't get it. The point is that this issue should have never come up because the AMLU said they wouldn't take amateur assignments. There are alot of D-I and ex Pro guys here in Michigan and Indiana that banded together to support them - we all got calls from League Presidents and we all refused to work. Why didn't the AMLU guys refuse the post season assignments when they got the call???????

Sal, you know why they didn't refuse them-Unions always have been like this. And, they actually wonder why less and less people support them.
Old Sun May 21, 2006, 08:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
We're not talking about regular season... We're talking about post-season - where there are plenty of qualified umpires to fill those assignments but were not given the opportunity because an AMLU guy accepted it rather than respectfully decline it to his fellow amateur "brethern". By the way, ofcourse it didn't affect your schedule because you aren't close to being considered for post season assignments... yet?
If they worked the regular season, then they should be able to work the post season like the rest of us. BTW, I worked a post season baseball game, so I was not affected.

Quote:
No sh!t - ofcourse they are going to select the best umpires possible because that's their job. I am not blaming the assignors for asking the AMLU guys for post season, I'm pissed at the MiLB guys who accepted them - knowing quite well that there are amateurs waiting/hoping to finally get a shot.
Lighten up my man. You cannot have it both ways. Many here have claimed the union umpires walked out on their jobs. If that is the case then they have the right to work whatever game they want to when they are available to work. If college umpires did not respect the union's position (and many did not) then you cannot go around being mad when they are passed up for post season games. Look, I did not say it would not be a problem or not make people upset. This was the reason I said to support the union members. This strike was going to affect everyone either directly or indirectly. I just think that you cannot take the high road when so many sold out to work a pro game of any kind.

Look Sal, I feel your pain on this. I just think when you do things to undermine the union those actions would come back to bite you square in the ***. Did you actually think umpires were not going to ever work a single game? Now you might have been perfectly supportive, but there were not many that were loyal or respectful of the situation. The people you should be getting upset at are the many college umpires that decided to cross the line. We are all just umpires; we go where we are asked to go.

Peace
Old Sun May 21, 2006, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Sal,

FYI, I am on the same page with you and I apologize if you thought I was calling you a lower level D-1 umpire. I was only speaking in general. I understand exactly where you are coming from. I believe you to be one of the more stand up guys on this forum. I was only bringing up points from previous posts. As umpires we should check our egos at the door and support one another. It has nothing to do with the union issue whatsoever. We should allow these guys from MiLB the opportunity to improve their wages and working conditions. I feel like they get a raw deal from PBUC. That is my issue with the "amateurs" crossing the picket lines. Nothing more, nothing less. Congratulations and good luck in the post season. Hopefully, I will see you on TV one day at the CWS. Also, have a great year calling the Independent League.

It's going to be a long time before this wound heals.
PWL,
I guess I'm confused. I never said you called me a lower D-1 umpire and it will be a long time before I would even be considered for the CWS, if ever at all. I must have misunderstood your post because I thought you were saying that it was ok for AMLU to take "non emergency" post season assignments from amateur umpires.

I'm not upset with you (I apolgize if I offended you) but I am disappointed with the choices of certain MiLB umpires. This has been going on for a while and I have chosen to ignore it. But now, when I know that guys who have worked their a$$es off for a long time get passed over because a Professional umpire accepted an amatuer post season assignment (when clearly directed not to by his union), I get a little pissed off.

I think I've vented enough. I felt this needed to come out and be known so that perhaps, this issue can be addressed. Hopefully, somebody from the union will comment on what's going on..... but I'm not holding my breath for it.
Closed Thread