The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Randy Mobley talks about AMLU rejection and Young Situation

Listen to this. From IL league prez.

javascript:mp.play({w:'mms://a1272.v10869e.c10869.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1272/10869/v0001/mlb.download.akamai.com/10869/2006/open/mlbr06/int_archive/050106_mobley_randy.wma',type:'a_free'})

Or here http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...media/more.jsp under audio IL prez.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Lisa couldn't have tossed him any more softballs, could she?

This was good radio...the big dog himself admits that the umpires are doing the job and will continue to do it. Mobley only laments that the union keeps digging a deeper ditch and is really looking bad. Remember, this guy was there for those long two days and he can't figure out why the union is acting so silly. No one's buying the idea that the umpires are causing player development to suffer either. He even dispelled the rumor that the recent negotiations had anything to do with the Delmon Young incident. I only wish that it was on ESPN radio. Then we could hear it coast to coast - the replacements are doing a great job and very few even notice that the 'regular guys' are out on strike. The games go on and the turnstiles keep whirling. The replacements are taking home $90 a pop and getting to see some future stars. Great radio...
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Mr. Mobley was not a part of the negotiations last week.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Your not an Umpire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue

This was good radio...the big dog himself admits that the umpires are doing the job and will continue to do it. Mobley only laments that the union keeps digging a deeper ditch and is really looking bad. Remember, this guy was there for those long two days and he can't figure out why the union is acting so silly. No one's buying the idea that the umpires are causing player development to suffer either. He even dispelled the rumor that the recent negotiations had anything to do with the Delmon Young incident. I only wish that it was on ESPN radio. Then we could hear it coast to coast - the replacements are doing a great job and very few even notice that the 'regular guys' are out on strike. The games go on and the turnstiles keep whirling. The replacements are taking home $90 a pop and getting to see some future stars. Great radio...
Where did you come from? Your viewpoints and wildly misguided statements are so far fetched, it could lead to speculation that you have been asked by MiLB to spread their propaganda. Talk about spin. Every post you make, you attempt to spin the facts to fit your "we should all support the bloodsucking bureaucratic money making machine that is MiLB and or PBUC" viewpoint. What in the world would give you the impression that any of them are worth siding with (as if they were people who are in any way honest in business) let alone worthy of the air they breath? You don't like the AMLU, fine. But why would you try to convince anyone that these guys like Mobley and Fitz are "good guys just looking out for the best interest of the game" ? They are not now and have never been friends of umpires; if you count them as friends as you say you do you should not call youself an umpire, as you obviously have transformed into the same slime that they are.

-Benjamin Franklin
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=JIGGY]Where did you come from? Your viewpoints and wildly misguided statements are so far fetched, it could lead to speculation that you have been asked by MiLB to spread their propaganda. Talk about spin. Really, which of my viewpoints was off the mark? I love hearing others tell me what to think. Those keeping score at home can easily see that I'm way ahead of you in the accuracy game.

Every post you make, you attempt to spin the facts to fit your "we should all support the bloodsucking bureaucratic money making machine that is MiLB and or PBUC" viewpoint. What in the world would give you the impression that any of them are worth siding with (as if they were people who are in any way honest in business) let alone worthy of the air they breath? You keep making up quotes and trying to attribute them to me, it is simply sad. Why should we side with MilB on this one? Logic, reason, education...oh, I almost forgot, I was a Minor League umpire and you aren't. There, that just about covers it. But in case you need more, AMLU turned down the opportunity to show us how respectful they are of the game.

You don't like the AMLU, fine. But why would you try to convince anyone that these guys like Mobley and Fitz are "good guys just looking out for the best interest of the game"? They are not now and have never been friends of umpires; if you count them as friends as you say you do you should not call youself an umpire, as you obviously have transformed into the same slime that they are. That wasn't my quote, but why should you let the truth get in the way? I am friends with Fitz and a few others in the PBUC office. I've never met Randy Mobley, but have heard him speak and know that he is truly passionate about the game. Do you think that the AMLU guys are looking out for the best interest of the game? It seems to most of us that they are looking out for their best interests.

The name calling is expected. When all else fails, toss a grenade and run. Keep running, Jiggy.

For what it's worth, an earlier post said that he was not present at the negotiations but in his interview, he states he was. Hmmmm.

Last edited by WhatWuzThatBlue; Thu May 04, 2006 at 09:39pm.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

well, let's see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue

This was good radio...the big dog himself admits that the umpires are doing the job and will continue to do it. Well, No, he didn't say that. Mobley only laments that the union keeps digging a deeper ditch and is really looking bad.Nope, didn't say that either. Remember, this guy was there for those long two days and he can't figure out why the union is acting so silly. No one's buying the idea that the umpires are causing player development to suffer either. Alot of people believe it, in part because the players and managers themselves have said it is so! Did we forget this fact? ... He even dispelled the rumor that the recent negotiations had anything to do with the Delmon Young incident. Deny is the word you were looking for, not Dispell. I only wish that it was on ESPN radio. Then we could hear it coast to coast - the replacements are doing a great job and very few even notice that the 'regular guys' are out on strike. Just a random opinion of yours that you chose to throw in there; one that not may people agree with in or outside of the game. The games go on and the turnstiles keep whirling. Again, you seem to miss the point of the strike. The AMLU never intended to keep games from being played, just to demonstrate the value of competent professionally trained and experienced umpires. This, is happening everyday by means of contrast to the scabs.The replacements are taking home $90 a pop and getting to see some future stars. Great radio...
Accuracy huh? You continue to only convince those who don't know.

-Benjamin Franklin
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 02:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Give it time.

Jiggy,

Why do you keep trying to convince this guy what the real deal is? He does not tell anything about himself in real life (because he is a coward). He goes around running his mouth about umpires in our area (on a website of all places) and does not have the balls to confront them face to face or off this website. He claims to have experience at levels that no one can prove (which includes him).

Do you really think he is going to take a position that you will ever agree with? Let it go. These discussions are not going to change anyone's mind or anyone’s positions. The reality is that if you were a scab lover before, you will be a scab lover afterwards. There are guys that are going to be happy to work those games no matter what. But the minute the dispute is over, they will get cut from the system and no one will want them. If these guys were worth a damn, they would go out and go around the league instead of working at one town and working all the games from one team. At some point that is going to get old to the teams and the visiting teams are going to want fairness in the system. Remember they accuse of us being homers already, you think teams like the fact an umpire lives in the town of the team and only works their games? If college ball takes precautions to eliminate “conflict of interest” issues, do not think this is not a problem now. It is just too early and the baseball season is too long. Eventually someone is going to lose a series or a big game and all hell is going to break lose. It just has not happen yet because the games are not considered to be on the line yet. If they were accusing the Major League umpires for missed calls and affecting series in the post season, do not think for one second everyone is going to not be critical of a bunch of guys that are not trained nor have any understanding of game as the Minor League guys do now.

Windbag is probably a scab and is trying to justify his position by saying the union was wrong for their position. He will never change and who cares if he does anyway. This debate is getting old and it is really a good time to move on to bigger and better things.

Peace
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 04:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Jiggy,

Why do you keep trying to convince this guy what the real deal is? He does not tell anything about himself in real life (because he is a coward). He goes around running his mouth about umpires in our area (on a website of all places) and does not have the balls to confront them face to face or off this website. He claims to have experience at levels that no one can prove (which includes him)....

Windbag is probably a scab and is trying to justify his position by saying the union was wrong for their position. He will never change and who cares if he does anyway. This debate is getting old and it is really a good time to move on to bigger and better things.

Peace
Nice post Jeff. I think we all need to ignore WWTB - especially Jiggy, who falls for Windy's BS too many times.
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Jiggy - That's right...listen to the audio again. When asked specifically what the plans are for the rest of the season, he states that they are comfortable continuing with the same replacements. He has been interviewed on Dan Patrick's and Jim Romes' shows. His comments are always the same. They have no plans to offer a thing to the AMLU gang.

Rut - The strong, black man should know better than to request personal information - again. We've been down this road so often and you keep looking like a fool. Maybe you are on these boards for your ego, but I've no need to look important (or illiterate, in your case). I'm content to keep you guessing and fixing your lies.

Sal - Just disappointed...
Old Fri May 05, 2006, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Jiggy,

Why do you keep trying to convince this guy what the real deal is? He does not tell anything about himself in real life (because he is a coward). He goes around running his mouth about umpires in our area (on a website of all places) and does not have the balls to confront them face to face or off this website. He claims to have experience at levels that no one can prove (which includes him).

Do you really think he is going to take a position that you will ever agree with? Let it go. These discussions are not going to change anyone's mind or anyone’s positions. The reality is that if you were a scab lover before, you will be a scab lover afterwards. There are guys that are going to be happy to work those games no matter what. But the minute the dispute is over, they will get cut from the system and no one will want them. If these guys were worth a damn, they would go out and go around the league instead of working at one town and working all the games from one team. At some point that is going to get old to the teams and the visiting teams are going to want fairness in the system. Remember they accuse of us being homers already, you think teams like the fact an umpire lives in the town of the team and only works their games? If college ball takes precautions to eliminate “conflict of interest” issues, do not think this is not a problem now. It is just too early and the baseball season is too long. Eventually someone is going to lose a series or a big game and all hell is going to break lose. It just has not happen yet because the games are not considered to be on the line yet. If they were accusing the Major League umpires for missed calls and affecting series in the post season, do not think for one second everyone is going to not be critical of a bunch of guys that are not trained nor have any understanding of game as the Minor League guys do now.

Peace
good points For the time being I seem to have the time to waste, not on wwtb but on trying to put out some accuracy and state the facts for some that may not know otherwise and read wwtb posts thinking they make sense.

-Benjamin Franklin
Old Sat May 06, 2006, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Wwtb

Quote:
Jiggy,

Peace

I've learned more from WWTB than anyone else. It's clear he has leanings about what is going on but he also provides the most substantive information.
Old Sat May 06, 2006, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

That's it...I have heard it all. WWTB tries to substantiate his view by telling you to listen to the Mobley interview again. Do you honestly expect him to answer the question the following way:

ATM: Randy, how do you feel about the current situation regarding umpires?

Mobley: Well, this situation is not good for anyone. The replacements are not nearly as consistent as the trained umpires, but we are trying to get by. But don't worry, we will eventually give more money to get the trained umpires back.

Come on, get a clue. And Div2ump...you learn from this guy? He is a coward that hides in the shadows. Fitsy is not a bad guy. He does what he has to do. But Jeff...or I mean WWTB...comes onto a web site and posts his dribble. You learn from this guy...seriously man, where is your pride? Look at guys like JRutlege, at least he posts his real name and is willing to stand by it. And no, I am not going to post my name. Does that make me a hypocrite? Maybe. But if the alternative is to give ammunition to bottom feeders like WWTB, then I will have to remain unknown until this thing is resolved.

But don't worry, I am going to forward this interview to the AMLU so that they can see the light. I'm sure they will cave in and go back to work since Mobley stated that the replacements are doing a great job.

BTW...A PCL manager was just issued a ten game suspension for arguing with an umpire after the umpire took a live ball and put it in his ball bag on a drop 3rd strike. The manager didn't make contact with the umpire, he just argued too long. He then went public with his opinions about the umpires. Ten games...apparently arguing with a replacement umpire deserves the same penalty as a guilty finding of steroid use under the 2005 standard. Now I ask you...who is the real hypocrite here?
Old Sat May 06, 2006, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictArnold
BTW...A PCL manager was just issued a ten game suspension for arguing with an umpire after the umpire took a live ball and put it in his ball bag on a drop 3rd strike. The manager didn't make contact with the umpire, he just argued too long. He then went public with his opinions about the umpires. Ten games...apparently arguing with a replacement umpire deserves the same penalty as a guilty finding of steroid use under the 2005 standard. Now I ask you...who is the real hypocrite here?
Benedict,

I have no problem with the minor lg. umps trying to get more money. I just think they have gone about it the wrong way by trying to hurt the game and attacking fellow umpires, calling them scabs and worse. There's guys working who make very little calling H.S. or lower level college games and who have to pay for their own health and liability insurance. It sounds like many more D1 guys will be working soon too.

As for WWTB i think what he says needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but he give more facts than most of the posters who are either rabid pro union and if you don't have the blinders on and agree that everyone else is a scab and lousy umpire, or blindly support the other side.

Who was the PCL manager? I thought the steroid penalty was now 50 games. Do you recall a manager ever interfering with a live ball before?

Appreciate your thoughts.
Old Sat May 06, 2006, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Redhaws manager Tim Ireland was the manager suspended by the PCL.

Please know that I am neither pro union or anti scab. I do not think that what they are doing is right. But they are not doing this to pay their insurance either. I still stand by my point that they are doing this because they have always sat on the couch and said that they can do a better job than the MLB guys. If they want my respect, however, I need to see them work 21 days in a row and travel throughout a league. Then take a day off. Then do it all over again. Then they will have my respect.

Thanks for your thoughts though. It is nice to have a discussion without someone trying to cut down your opinion. This forum is for debate. I often will look at umpire.org and remember that that site was once permitting anon. posts. Now look at it. This hobby we have is a lot of fun when you are on the field. But there are just too many guys out there that enjoy cutting people down when they know they cannot be identified. It reminds me of a coach...at any level...that waits until the pitcher has released the ball to take their cheap shot. To those novice umpires out there that don't know what I am talking about, they wait until they know you aren't looking at them to take a cheap shot. Let me give those new umpires a little advice.

The first time this happens, call the pitch. Then remove your mask and look directly into the dugout and say, "I am right here and I will be here all game. If you have something to say, be a man and say it to my face. But if you continue to act like a coward then I will start to throw people out of the game. And I will begin with you, (and point directly at the coach or player that you think is taking the cheap shot.) Now this is just my advice, say whatever you want back to them. But the one thing I will say, don't forget to call the pitch first.

Thanks for the thoughts Div2ump.

Before I forget...I was talking about the 2005 penalty for steroid use. I know they changed it now. So then I guess my question would be if they remain consistent, and WWTB is right about the system remaining with replacement umpires, are they going to increase that penalty next year to 50 for arguing with a replacement? I know it is extreme, but I am convinced baseball will do everything in its power to protect these umpires. Yet another example of how these guys are treated differently than the trained umpires. When I was in AA...many many years ago, I remember reporting to my league president about a fan that threw a cup of something at my partner. The question asked in return was whether or not the cup hit us. I asked if it mattered and the league president responded by saying, "Yes, it would have cost me a new hat if it had coolaide in it." Just another story to illustrate my point.

Oh yeah, about the scab gallery. I completely agree with you. Bringing that out during the negotiations was a poor decision. But I see that they have now eliminated access. So they must have seen their mistake. I guess the next question is whether or not they will put it up after this thing is over. Now that will be a true test to their character. But for the meantime, they have done the right thing and removed it. Even WWTB needs to recognize that. But who are we kidding, Jeff...I'm sorry again...I mean WWTB will never admit that the AMLU has done anything right because he is still angry with Andy and the others about being shown the door.

Last edited by BenedictArnold; Sat May 06, 2006 at 01:51pm.
Old Sat May 06, 2006, 02:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIV2ump
I've learned more from WWTB than anyone else. It's clear he has leanings about what is going on but he also provides the most substantive information.
Good for you. Listen to everything he tells you.

Peace