The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Change in Uncaught Third Strike Rule?

A poster on another board reports that the 2006 Sporting News publication of OBR says a batter is now out if he leaves the dirt area around the plate before attempting to go to first on an uncaught third strike.

The newest version of the J/R says the same thing. (Old version had the "old" ruling)

The on-line OBR at mlb.com has the "old" ruling.

Anyone know what's up?
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
A poster on another board reports that the 2006 Sporting News publication of OBR says a batter is now out if he leaves the dirt area around the plate before attempting to go to first on an uncaught third strike.

The newest version of the J/R says the same thing. (Old version had the "old" ruling)

The on-line OBR at mlb.com has the "old" ruling.

Anyone know what's up?
That is one of many changes in OBR for 2006. Some are in effect in MLB with approval of the players association, but all are in effect in NAPBL.

-Benjamin Franklin
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 12:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIGGY
That is one of many changes in OBR for 2006. Some are in effect in MLB with approval of the players association, but all are in effect in NAPBL.
Can you elaborate more on these rule changes? My 2006 Official Rules of Major League Baseball edition does not contain any rule changes. Are these late changes? I do not quite understand the uncaught third strike change. Is this because of the Eddings deal?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

1.15(a)-"The pitchers glove may not be white, gray, nor in the judgement of the umpire, distracting in any mannor."
1.15(b)-"The umpire-in-chief shall cause the glove that violates Rules 1.15(a) or 1.15(b) to be removed from the game, either on his own initiative, at the recomendation of another umpire or upon complaint of the opposing manager with which the umpire-in-chief agrees.

the experimental pace-of-game rule for NAPBL

6.05(a) Comment:"A fielder may reach into, but not step into, a dugout to make a catch, and if he holds the ball, the catch shall be allowed. A fielder, in order to make a catch on a foul ball nearing a dugout or out-of-play areas (such as the stands), must have one or both feet on or over the playing surface (including the lip of the dugout) and neither foot on the ground inside the dugout or in any other out-of-play area. Ball is in play, unless the fielder, after making a legal catch, falls into a dugout or other out-of-play area, in which case the ball is dead."

6.06(d) Comment:"a batter chall be deemed to have used or attempted to use an illeagl bat if he brings such bat into the batter's box."

6.09(b) Comment:"a batter who does not realize his situation on a third strike not caught, and who is not in the process of running to first base, shall be declared out once he leaves the dirt circle surrounding home plate."

new changes in the pitching rule
-only a portion of the pitcher's pivot foot must be in contact with the rubber (no longer "entire pivot foot"). This applies to both windup and set positions. under the new rule. pitchers may pitch "off the end" of the rubber, as long as any part of the pivot foot is in contact with the rubber.

-in the windup positin, the pitchers free foot may be on the rubber, in front of the rubber, or to the side of the rubber.

-in the windup position, the pitcher is permitted to step to the side during his delivery (previously prohibited)

the rest of the 23 changes ar emostly clearing up redundancies and clarifing administrative issues.

Last edited by mrumpire11; Mon May 08, 2006 at 01:41pm.
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 02:00pm

Well that's a fine how do ya do! Why am I just hearing about these changes, here on May 8th, 2006? Now I have to buy a Sporting News Rules. The book that came with my PONY packet this year was the Official Rules of MLB. I figured they were correct. Lah, me.
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

The uncaught 3d strike change is big - no more 'headed to the dugout and remembered to go to 1B' sitches!

That's going to get some folks tossed. Everyone knows
you have until you enter DBT to run to 1B.....
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 04:26pm

What about fields where there is no dirt circle, like about 90% of all amateur fields in the country?
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
What about fields where there is no dirt circle, like about 90% of all amateur fields in the country?

Maybe 90% in SD but it's about 2% where I live.
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 04:35pm

Wow, must be nice. Very few HS yards have grass outside the foul lines, and I can't think of any municipal yards that have it either. But that does not answer my question. What about when there is no circle?
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 04:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Wow, must be nice. Very few HS yards have grass outside the foul lines, and I can't think of any municipal yards that have it either. But that does not answer my question. What about when there is no circle?
I will have to agree with Rich as well. Maybe this is something that is common in your parts, but is not common in other parts. I have rarely work a HS game on a completely dirt infield. I can only think of two fields where a dirt infield was used in two different states that I worked baseball at the HS level. Now when you talk about LL or park district games this percentage goes up. Even the Park districts that I have seen for the most part have a grass infield and grass near the dugouts.

Peace
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
With all the talk about HS fields...

lets remember that this rule does not apply to FED / HS ball.

I wouldn't try to enforce it in armature OBR ball until you see it in the rule books that are issued for that league, or it is specifically covered during an association meeting where they indicate to enforce it. That is, unless you love standing in a $hit house on a regular basis.

Nick
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
lets remember that this rule does not apply to FED / HS ball.

I wouldn't try to enforce it in armature OBR ball until you see it in the rule books that are issued for that league, or it is specifically covered during an association meeting where they indicate to enforce it. That is, unless you love standing in a $hit house on a regular basis.
Agreed. For example, USSSA uses the OBR book "as published by the Sporting News". So if it isn't in that particular rule book, then I won't be enforcing the new rule in USSSA.
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Just curious, since when is the OBR book "as published by the Sporting News" the Official OBR book? I have 3 MLB (OBR) rule books at home and none of them were published by the Sporting News. All of them were published by "MLB in accordance with the PBUC and the MLB Player's Association".
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

mrumpire11,

where did you get this list of rule changes and where can we see the complete list?
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Just curious, since when is the OBR book "as published by the Sporting News" the Official OBR book? I have 3 MLB (OBR) rule books at home and none of them were published by the Sporting News. All of them were published by "MLB in accordance with the PBUC and the MLB Player's Association".
I didn't say it was the official rule book of MLB or any other professional or amateur league. But it is the official rule book of USSSA baseball.