The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 07, 2003, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

I am a football official with a softball question. My daughter plays catcher on a 12U team playing ASA rules. During the first game of a DH against a 14U team our pitcher tosses a one hitter with 19 stikeouts. Someone asked if an uncaught third strike is a K or is scored as a put out by F2 to F3. I replied that they're splitting hairs and didn't think it really mattered. Now I'm curious and would like to know the answer.
Old Sat Jun 07, 2003, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

when applicable, a drop 3rd strike is treated as a fair (ground) ball, so it is not a "K"

it would be a tag out or force out defensive play

any objections ??

Old Sun Jun 08, 2003, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

uncaught 3rd strike

Pitcher gets credit for a K (as does the batter), regardless of whether the batter reaches 1B.

If F2 throws to F3 for the out, F2 gets the assist and F3 gets the putout.
Old Sun Jun 08, 2003, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt-MI
I am a football official with a softball question. My daughter plays catcher on a 12U team playing ASA rules. During the first game of a DH against a 14U team our pitcher tosses a one hitter with 19 stikeouts. Someone asked if an uncaught third strike is a K or is scored as a put out by F2 to F3. I replied that they're splitting hairs and didn't think it really mattered. Now I'm curious and would like to know the answer.
Matt,

As a football official, do you determine the actual number of yards a runner or receiver gained on certain plays? No, we don't deal with scoring or stats in softball either

Nor is your question covered in Rule 11 of the ASA rule book. However, while checking this out, I noticed something that I had forgotten, the catcher gets the put out for any strikeouts (as it always has been).

Strikeouts are a stats thing, that are not necessarily recorded on the official score sheet for individual pitchers. Now, I'm just using what I see in the ASA rule book, so I don't know if there is additional documentation of another source concerning this issue.

Old Sun Jun 08, 2003, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the answers guys! As is with football the more I learn the more I find I don't know. I ave been lurking here for awhile and and learning quite a bit.
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

"the catcher gets the put out for any strikeouts (as it always has been)."

WRONG!!! On an UNCAUGHT third strike, the ONLY way the catcher gets a putout if if she/he tags the batter/runner. If F2 has to throw to 1B, whoever takes the throw gets the putout. Example: F2-F3. F2 gets assist, F3 gets put out. If B/R beats the throw, NO ONE, obviously, gets a put out.

Pitcher is ALWAYS credited, and batter charged, with a strikeout, even on an uncaught third strike.

Bob
Old Mon Jun 09, 2003, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Pitcher gets credit

NFHS rules 9-6-4 Pitcher's Record

A strikeout is credited to the pitcher when a third strike is delivered to a bater, even though the batter might reach first base because the third strike is a wild pitch (FP) or is not caught (FP). It is also a strikeout if an attempted third strike bunt (FP) is an uncaught foul.