The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

I have been told by a couple of UIC's that I need to raise my strike zone some. They recommend me movign it up about 2 inches. Described as me calling the ball touching the bottom of the knee cap, they want me to call the top of the knee. I respect these UIC's and if they think I am low I believe them, but I am really struggling in changing something that has become natural to me. I have only been doing this for about 6 years, so I am not "set in stone" but now I am questioning myself on every ball that is close to the knees. I feel like I am not consistant as I almost over analyze the low strikes. One suggested that I set up higher so the low pitch looks lower to me, but I find that screws with the top of my zone. Has anyone fought this before, or have any ideas how to "retrain" or adjust your zone? One of these UIC's is going to be my UIC for my first National in August so I know the bottom of my zone will be watched!
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,
I was also told that my strike zone needed to be raised. One suggestion that really helped me (especially in the older age groups) was to watch the position of the catchers glove at the start of the pitch. Usually they put the target right at the knees. Depending on the location at the start of the pitch, if the glove dips, then it's probably too low. I still get one or two low strikes, but it has really helped me raise the bottom of my zone.

By the way, congrats on your first National. Which national?
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Top of ball top of Knee. Setup so your eyes are at the top of the zone.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

I, too, had been accused of giving the low pitches. Just focus hard on those low pitches and track 'em in. Take that extra moment and call it.

Also, congratulations on the national.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Watching the catcher's glove is a good indicator. As KU indicated, set up at the top of the strike zone, so that any pitch above your eyes has to be a ball. Track the ball from the pitcher's hand all the way to the catcher's glove with your eyes, using your nose a pointer. If the catcher turns the glove over or dips the glove noticably, most likely it is a ball. Not always true with off speed pitches and change-ups, especially at the younger/lower levels, but a good mechanic nonetheless.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.