The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Just curious, since when is the OBR book "as published by the Sporting News" the Official OBR book? I have 3 MLB (OBR) rule books at home and none of them were published by the Sporting News. All of them were published by "MLB in accordance with the PBUC and the MLB Player's Association".
there is the NBC (national baseball congress) and TSN (the sporting news) versions, probably more but i dont know off the top of my head. some places say that rules as published by Sporting News are the official ones for the league. there are very small differences, and someone earlier said that most people cant even find the few tiny differences there are. edit: i just read an older thread and found that the differences are in the wording, not interpretation

heres the TSN version at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/089...lance&n=283155
im not sure what 3 letters denote this one, but most of the older OBR books i have are based off of this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157...lance&n=283155

Last edited by briancurtin; Tue May 09, 2006 at 11:20am.
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

boss...i got my list when i went to pbuc this year. like i said before, those are the only major changes. all the other changes deal with redundant wording and administrative stuff.

-the definition of the league president was modified.
-they are now using gender-neutral references
-the wording was change on how the umpires "remove the gloss" on new baseballs
-wording changed with regard to the official rosin bag
-automatic 10 game suspension to person intentionally defacing baseball
-optional suspended game rule (players union is voting on this one for the 2007 season, i believe)
-wording was changed with regard to protestes
-"experimental rule" which was used by MiLB last season. if a batter refuses to take his postion in the batters-box, time will be called and one strike shall be added to the count.
-experimental pace-of-game rule, defines when a batter can/can not leave the batters box
-wording changed to elimante redundant rules regarding the 3-foot running lane
-new rule added: "one base, if a fielder deliberately ouches a pitched ball with his cap, mask or any part of his uniform detached from its proper place on his person. the ball is in play, and the award is made from the position of the runner at the time the ball was touched."
-redundant wording, batter hitting ball with bat second time. 7.09(b) and 6.05(h) wording was indentical
-with no runners on base, the pitcher is not required to come to a complete stop when using the set position
-posession of foreign substance, automatic 10 game suspension
-time limitation for pitcher to deliver the ball with no runners on base changed from 20seconds to 12seconds

"rules require approval of the Major League Players Association for implemention at the Major League leavel in 2006. As of this writing, the players association has approved, (gender-neutral, redundant rule w/3foot running lane, batter hitting ball second time). All 23 changes are effective for the 2006 season at all other levels of professional baseball as well as leagues that play under the Official Baseball Rules."

hope that hepls
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Get Out

"time limitation for pitcher to deliver the ball with no runners on base changed from 20seconds to 12seconds"

A second time period really isn't needed. Twenty seconds when runners are on base and 12 seconds when the bases are empty confuses matters. This seems to me like it would be very difficult rule to enforce on the field because it doesn't explain who is responsible for holding the stop watch. I suppose the BU can adopt the basketball mechanic for enforcing this 12-second rule. But even that would be difficult going into the eigth inning.

Twelve seconds seems a bit "arbitrary" too. I would hate for a 15 million dollar man to blow his arm out because of insufficient rest between pitches. I guess now someone in the dugout will have to burn an extra time out (not a visit) around 11 seconds every inning. Look son, your throwing a no hitter and the bases are empty so you have to release the ball within 12 seconds.

Rule is not fair to defense when the offense bats around, or the pitch count approaches 30 pitches per inning, or the pitcher is facing Albert Pujols, etc. Look son, the rules don't care if you give up another hit or or walk or home run. I cannot replace you becasue I have to rest all the other sore arms in the bullpen.

Summary, Don't go looking for trouble.
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 12:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I will have to agree with Rich as well. Maybe this is something that is common in your parts, but is not common in other parts. I have rarely work a HS game on a completely dirt infield. I can only think of two fields where a dirt infield was used in two different states that I worked baseball at the HS level. Now when you talk about LL or park district games this percentage goes up. Even the Park districts that I have seen for the most part have a grass infield and grass near the dugouts.

Peace
Are you always going to misread what I say?

I never said anything about completely dirt infields. I said grass outside the foul lines. There are some, but not very many here. Nearly all fields have grass infields/outfields at the HS level. Some have grass everywhere, but most do not. I think the main reason is watering issues, since we live in a constant state of drought.

Nickrego,

A lot of OBR games are played on HS fields here, especially adult baseball.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
"time limitation for pitcher to deliver the ball with no runners on base changed from 20seconds to 12seconds"

A second time period really isn't needed. Twenty seconds when runners are on base and 12 seconds when the bases are empty confuses matters. This seems to me like it would be very difficult rule to enforce on the field because it doesn't explain who is responsible for holding the stop watch. I suppose the BU can adopt the basketball mechanic for enforcing this 12-second rule. But even that would be difficult going into the eigth inning.

Twelve seconds seems a bit "arbitrary" too. I would hate for a 15 million dollar man to blow his arm out because of insufficient rest between pitches. I guess now someone in the dugout will have to burn an extra time out (not a visit) around 11 seconds every inning. Look son, your throwing a no hitter and the bases are empty so you have to release the ball within 12 seconds.

Rule is not fair to defense when the offense bats around, or the pitch count approaches 30 pitches per inning, or the pitcher is facing Albert Pujols, etc. Look son, the rules don't care if you give up another hit or or walk or home run. I cannot replace you becasue I have to rest all the other sore arms in the bullpen.

Summary, Don't go looking for trouble.
Re-read the rule! It doesn't say anything about two different time limits, rather it states a change from 20 seconds to 12 seconds. The application of this rule is unchanged- use it if you have to, its a tool in your bag if you need it.

-Benjamin Franklin
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Can you elaborate more on these rule changes? My 2006 Official Rules of Major League Baseball edition does not contain any rule changes. Are these late changes? I do not quite understand the uncaught third strike change. Is this because of the Eddings deal?

The Sporting News version has a list of the changes just prior to Rule 1.00.

The title page says the changes were by mail vote in January 2006
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Get ready for a ****storm the first time you call a BR out on the D3K change.......
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

why would you get a ****storm, its a rule
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrumpire11
why would you get a ****storm, its a rule

oh of course! It's a rule! That will stop the coach right in his tracks

LOL
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Get ready for a ****storm the first time you call a BR out on the D3K change.......
Most coaches think the batter is already out when he turns his back, or leaves the batter's box, or doesn't immediately run, etc. It's already a ****storm!
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits
Most coaches think the batter is already out when he turns his back, or leaves the batter's box, or doesn't immediately run, etc. It's already a ****storm!

...just ask Doug Eddings....
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 04:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
The Sporting News version has a list of the changes just prior to Rule 1.00.

The title page says the changes were by mail vote in January 2006
Yeah, I realize the Sporting News version has it. That is my point. Now I have to buy another 2006 Rule Book, when I thought I had a perfectly good 2006 Official Rules of Major League Baseball book, that I already paid for. It's the principal of the thing.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25