The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Angry The AMLU's Birmingham Folly

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I'm sick and tired of all the misinformation as to what is going on, so I thought I would finally write a post that would hopefully clear up some issues, and, I pray, will be read by some of the AMLU members to start a groundswell to pull themselves off the ground and get running again. First, a back story...

In 2001, when the union first formed, the AMLU had some able leaders who certainly argued with Randy Mobley and the rest of the negotiators from the other side. However, there was a much bigger rapport between those AMLU leaders and Mobley and the boys because they all umpired in his league. In fact, the statement was made after the negotiation that, "You (AMLU) couldn't have picked a better group of professional individuals to represent you at the table." (That is a paraphrase, can't remember the exact wording). This comment was from none other than Pat O'Connor, who heads up PBUC!

The union settled an issue in 2002 involving the fact that the Intl. League would not pay for in-town gasoline for their umpires, although, in some cities (Buffalo, for example), the ballpark was a 20 minute drive from the hotel they put them up in. The new union president, Ryan West, decided it was time to file a grievance. The AMLU administrator at the time was Jeff Kowalczyk. He instead, and wisely so, advised the president and board to allow him to contact the IL, i.e., Mobley, and discuss the situation. He informed Mobley that they would be filing a grievance, and they were down to their last day on it, but they wanted to not "blindside" the IL over this. Mobley appreciated the gesture, and informed the AMLU that he completely understood why they were filing. The situation, handled correctly, ended up being settled without a grievance...just a sit down discussion.

So...where did they go wrong?

ANDY ROBERTS and his cronies is where they went wrong! Listen to this list of truths:

As soon as Andy Roberts, from Birmingham, AL, was elected President, he immediately removed Kowalczyk, a veteran umpire who had been released earlier and now was managing the funds of the AMLU, from his position. Kowalczyk had placed the money of the AMLU in a fund that would have matured in the fall of 2005, just in time to go to the negotiating table. This money was "mysteriously" removed from the account at the request of Roberts. There was a early withdrawal penalty on the money, which actually cost the AMLU a net loss of thousands of dollars if you factor the return on investment lost and the withdrawal penalties. The money was put into annuities, which reap great financial rewards for the agent who gains the commission...PS...the annuities are in BIRMINGHAM, where Roberts works in selling...oh, my...annuities...so guess who gets the commission???

As soon as Andy Roberts was elected President, he immediately removed Beth Saindon, the labor attorney who was involved in the first negotiations in 2001. Ask anyone in pro baseball about Beth, and they will tell you, "Management would do ANYTHING to get rid of Beth from the room." Beth was a THORN in the side of PBUC. She is the major reason there was a deal in 2001, PERIOD. Roberts replaced Saindon with Robert Weaver...ROBERT WHO??? Weaver is the attorney who told the union after three short weeks of striking, "This is the best deal you'll get from them." Gee, what a brilliant strategy! Oh, and by the way...Weaver is from BIRMINGHAM...are you seeing the picture?

As soon as Andy Roberts was elected President, he immediately shutout all access to any umpires who had been released. Several former umpires have attempted to better the conditions for their former brethren, only to have communication shut off. The AMLU was set up in a way to allow umpires who were released to have some say, albeit much smaller, in the union. A real leader would embrace the words of their colleagues, not shut them out. Then, after the negotiations started in late 2005, the AMLU by-laws were "mysteriously changed" to allow released umpires to remain on the Board of Directors or the Officers positions. Guess who fell under that? Brian Hale, Vice President of the AMLU...Oh, by the way...Did you know Brian is from BIRMINGHAM?

They also have grieved every little incident that has occured in his tenure, instead of working with the management staff. No calls, no, "hey, can we sit down and talk about this before we have to grieve it?" Nope, not this group...take it to the NLRB. Why do you think management is playing hardball? It's because they have NO RESPECT for the AMLU anymore after their whine here, whine there, whine everywhere approach.

The point of this post is everything Andy Roberts has touched has gone to hell in a handbasket. This needs to be read by every single AMLU member to realize what has happened. As a former member, I'm embarrased and ashamed and sorry what has happened to these poor umpires. They asked for it, they got it, but I don't think they realized WHAT they had lost when they voted for Roberts and his cronies.

It's time the AMLU either disbanded, or the membership reformed with a new union, a new leadership group, and MOST DEFINITELY a board of directors that are not CURRENT UMPIRES...there is too much temptation to save your own skin at the price of your friends' skin when the Fhit hits the San...

I wish everyone of them the best of luck, and if you are reading this and know an AMLU member...please please please pass this onto them.

Last edited by Thatballzlow; Tue May 02, 2006 at 05:16pm.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

so, this is the brotherhood they refer to.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

no thanks
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe Jiggy and SoCalBlue will acknowledge that my sources may have been better than they suspected. At least five months ago I wrote that Andy and the boys up top were selling the membership a bill of goods. I took a lot of flak for it but continued to implore the membership to disband the union and either start a new one or sign individual contracts to prevent the inevitable. I offered that they were wasting their talent and the dream would soon end. Does anyone recall those posts?

Now it seems that the more the public discovers about the situation, the more it sees that greed has played a major hand in this fiasco. Few of us have found fault with the individual umpires. The machine seems to be destroying those on board rather than those in the gun sights. Even the amateurs, who are targets of their terror, have weathered the storm.

I can't imagine what the 2/3 were thinking. PBUC is holding a Royal Flush and AMLU still thinks they can bluff them.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

you are a genius, sir. you should go into a new line of work, maybe a fotrune teller?
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you!

I'm looking for a new landscaper, now that my illegal immigrant contractors may have to go home. If you aren't busy for the rest of the season, er, I mean summer, you should give me a call.

Really...
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

While I still fully support thier efforts to make their situation better, it's looking more like the worst case scenario may be the result. That still may be better for the "game" though. The system will have to be dismantled. Sure, the games will go on with replacements and I truly respect their courage, albeit with selfish motive. I can't fathom that this will be a long term solution. Short A will start soon and the talent pool will get thinner. I agree with WWTB in that there are many real talented replacements. Their problem isn't necessarily ability. It's 3 man instincts and the rigors of a 140 game season. OK, A ball uses 2 man crews but if umps have been working higher levels, it's still going to be a long season.

I agree it seems to be a futile strike if you look at it through selfish eyes. Think about what it's going to do for the system as a whole. Local guys may still get a piece of the pie when PBUC puts this all back together. Only the true elite will get through UDC and then only work the highest levels (AA and AAA, perhaps). That way there aren't 220 guys trying to slip through that narrow door but maybe half that many. PBUC can work them through more quickly. No more stringing 30 somethings along for peanuts following an empty promise. After five years, tag a guy for MLB until a space opens up for him.

Everyone umps for their own reasons. I don't need their games. I have a job, a family and a life. I try not to succeed by the failure of others but on my own merits. For those of you working the games that have friends in the system, I hope your relationships heal. For those of you that didn't work, I hope little Jimmy will still get to go to private school this fall.

Rest assured, I will always have your back.

D-Man
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
Maybe Jiggy and SoCalBlue will acknowledge that my sources may have been better than they suspected. At least five months ago I wrote that Andy and the boys up top were selling the membership a bill of goods. I took a lot of flak for it but continued to implore the membership to disband the union and either start a new one or sign individual contracts to prevent the inevitable. I offered that they were wasting their talent and the dream would soon end. Does anyone recall those posts?

Now it seems that the more the public discovers about the situation, the more it sees that greed has played a major hand in this fiasco. Few of us have found fault with the individual umpires. The machine seems to be destroying those on board rather than those in the gun sights. Even the amateurs, who are targets of their terror, have weathered the storm.

I can't imagine what the 2/3 were thinking. PBUC is holding a Royal Flush and AMLU still thinks they can bluff them.
You are only too ready to prove your ignorance. Any person reading your mindless dribble is wasting valuable time they could otherwise use to watch tv or clip their toenails.

-Benjamin Franklin
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

It's okay to admit that you were wrong...again.

My mindless drivel keeps proving accurate while your posts keep showing why the AMLU guys will never have a chance. The proof is in the pudding, buddy.

Did you help author the latest spin from AMLU about the ejection of the Ottawa Lynx coach. Yeah, he couldn't have been pissed off because his .400 ball club just gave up an eighth inning go ahead run. Nah, his tirade after the ball game was fodder for the same guys that dismiss most ejected Skipper's reactions. It's funny that the very same guys that say that the players and coaches don't know the rules let alone umpiring are giving some of them full credit. Do you think they will give equal coverage to the Mercury News article about how the umpires are doing a great job?

Go back to clipping your toes and watching TV. I have to get my gear ready for tomorrow's game. You could come watch it and critique if you want. We all know that your are completely objective and terribly skilled.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Talking No Ref(erence) Skills Necessary

"If you aren't busy for the rest of the season, er, I mean summer, you should give me a call."

Careful, that may be a five month summer in his parts. But try to improve the quality of your life while your there. He already knows he could hire you to work through the rest of the year too. Autumn ball needs raking, winter ball needs shoveling, and spring trainng needs cleaning. But he really isn't interested in keeping YOU around long term. So remember, it is only TEMP related work.

Last edited by SAump; Tue May 02, 2006 at 09:52pm.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

I am well set for the remainder of my summer, but i appreciate the "migrant worker" comment. Real classy guy, I bet if I saw ten pictures I could easily pick you out of those ten.

Cheers.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Based on your history of gambling, I'd bet you would be wrong.

Suffice to say that the thin skin so many professional umpires are supposed to have is proving insufficient.

You show your ignorance once again. I made no such comment about migrant workers. (As long as they legally enter, pay taxes and support our laws, I'm all for them enjoying our glorious bounty.) I used sarcasm to imply that the illegal immigrants that cut my lawn may soon be out of work. I was offering a helping hand to my brethren. Isn't that what you are doing by publicly displaying their photos - just praising them and acknowledging their desire to support the game?

Good night...I'm tired and you are not a capable adversary in this battle.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

battle? what battle? the battle to see who cuts your lawn? You have confused me with your off topic, off color remarks.

I am done dealing with you and will instead go stare that Miznuno mask from another post. I bet that mask makes better conversation and less hot air than this thread does.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Finally...

I'm not the one with the reading impairment. Good riddance!
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Actually,

I hate to interupt such a wonderful battle between the two of you but things are changing in my area.

Slightly.

Our replacement umpires have been told that "the muzzle" has been lifted from the managers, coaches and players and umpires should be ready for a "real world" experience of working minor league baseball.

Regards,
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

My area too. Saw a manager last Sunday arguing safe/out at 2B on a steal. AA game. I've seen a half dozen games this season, and this is the first time they came out to argue a bad call (and it wasn't by any accounting the first bad call).