Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

From the front page of amlu.org

Quote:
Statement From IL Crew Chief on Delmon Young Incident

"The incident which occurred between Delmon Young and replacement umpire, Richard Cacciatore, is unfortunate to say the least. In most of my dealings with Delmon in the past he has handled himself in a respectful, professional manner. I think the rest of the regular International League umpire staff would echo my sentiments. I can only hope this does not tarnish the career of such a fine, young prospect. Furthermore, I would speculate the whole incident could have been avoided had properly trained, professional umpires been officiating the game." Chris Hubler, IL Crew Chief
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
Respect is a two way street and this person who got hit with a bat does not have mine for what he chose to do. Just like swimming in the ocean. You might have a good time, but no one can guarantee you won't get shark bit.
I don't care who you are, what profession you're in or how the hell you feel about 'scab' umpires - no one deserves to be hit with a thrown bat by any player. Your view is just such an asinine way to look at it. Good one, PWL.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Delmon Young's Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets
From the front page of amlu.org

Look what happened last year with the regular umps. This guy is full of crap.

Double-A Montgomery's Delmon Young yesterday started serving a three-game suspension for bumping an umpire.
Young gave the ump a chest-bump after being ejected from Friday's game. The incident took place after he was called out on strikes for a third time. Source: St. Petersburg Times
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
My "point" is if he had respected the official that felt it was necessary to go on strike to be respected, he wouldn't have been in the situation to be disrespected in the first place.

I'm not saying what Delmon Young did in any way was right. However, I could care less if the official it happened to was some one getting his jollies by crossing a picket line. Respect is a two way street and this person who got hit with a bat does not have mine for what he chose to do. Just like swimming in the ocean. You might have a good time, but no one can guarantee you won't get shark bit.

You don't have a point! It's mob mentality like this that does serious damage to the unions image in this country. If you want to support the unions I respect that. I'm a strong union supporter myself, but this is not a non union -vs- union issue here any longer. This incident is about simple decency toward another persons right to be unaccosted while doing something they have a Constitutional right to do.

Tim.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 10:02am
Do not give a damn!!

I find it interesting that when the issue of the possible lack of training comes up people want to just dust that under the rug. We can have a post about why MLB Umpires do not do certain things as compared to what amateur umpires do, but we cannot in this situation possibly question the ability level of the umpire. We are also don’t want to discuss the possibility that the "gag order" might have helped the frustrations come to the surface. I just find it interesting that we can debate whether MLB Umpires still "got it" but we cannot discuss why certain umpires who have made a conscious decision to work games at the pro level why they likely were not properly trained to work pro games in the first place? We have umpires here that think they could step into a MLB game right now when they sit on their couch and watch the game on TV. When we entertain the ability of the "replacement" umpires than that cannot be discussed at all. God forbid that we treat this "replacements the same way we do the pro umpires.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

After reading this article it is apparent the AMLU guys have trouble with him as well. I am shocked after all they are properly trained, professional umpires according to the "Crew" chief.

Tampa Bay Devil Rays top prospect Delmon Young is facing a potentially lengthy suspension after throwing his bat at an umpire's chest during Wednesday night's game at Pawtucket.
The Durham Bulls outfielder, listed No. 1 on most prospect lists, including MLB.com's, took a called third strike from Pawtucket's Jon Lester in the first inning of the International League contest. Following the strike call, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2003 draft refused to leave the batter's box, glaring back at the home plate umpire for an extended period of time, according to those who witnessed the game.

"He stood there, looking back for a long period of time, maybe 30 seconds," Pawtucket broadcaster Dan Hoard recalled. "It was borderline, but not ridiculous from the vantage point of the broadcasting booth. I've learned since, from the Pawtucket catcher (Corky Miller), that the umpire told him to go back and he wouldn't go."

Young finally took a step or two toward his dugout when the umpire ejected him from the game. The timing of the ejection made it seem like Young said something to the umpire as he began his retreat, but Hoard said Miller told him Young was silent at the time.

Young then took a couple of steps and threw the bat at the umpire. According to AP reports, Young flipped the bat underhand. It sailed end over end and hit the umpire in the chest.

"It wasn't with force, but I'd say that was his intent," Hoard said. "He went back to the dugout and disappeared. That was the end of his night and the end of his playing for some time."

No one from the International League was available for comment on the incident. According to policy, the umpire will file a report with president Randy Mobley on Thursday. Mobley, in turn, will read it, interview those involved in the incident and make the decision what kind of suspension should be handed down.

In addition, no one with the Devil Rays, including several players reached for comment, would comment until executives in the organization had a chance to review tape of the incident. Young, 20, gave an official "no comment" when reached in his hotel room after the game. "It's going to be interesting," Hoard said. "He's certainly looking at a lengthy suspension from the league. I'm not sure if the Rays will tack on anything.

"I've never seen anyone throw a bat at anybody. I've seen a lot of games and never seen that before."

This is not the first time Young has let his anger get the better of him. Last May, while playing in the Double-A Southern League for the Montgomery Biscuits, he drew a three-game suspension for bumping an umpire. He also was nearly ejected earlier in the season when, after being hit by a pitch, he flung his bat in the air and it landed about 20 feet from the pitcher.

Minor League Baseball games have been umpired by replacements for every game thus far in the 2006 season, with the regular crews currently out on strike.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PanamaCityBrian
I am so ashamed that while I read this post I am wanting to pursue a long term position in the ranks of Umpires!!!! Let me say to hear some of the political babble that goes on in the forum is normally tolerable but to hear some of you grown men, whine that we arent paid enough to call a GAME ( hmmm sounds quite similar to PRO Athletes ) and then when you walk away from the game and they get replacements you get mad and blame the replacements for your problems. Ya know when they tried this in the majors if I am not mistaken the MLB just fired your ***.... hmm maybe because of some of the opinions I have seen in this forum perhaps they should look into it here.

Do not get me wrong, I am all about equal pay and fair wages but..... what does striking do for you..... NOTHING..... striking has never solved anything.... you might get alittle better deal while still giving up thing you didnt want to give up. There are alot of guys who I have seen in here acting like complete children about this whole thing. Remember this is a game about children that men are just lucky enough to able to participate in as they get older and make a decent wage doing so.....

Now I have not heard all the info but apparently the pay increase that the AMLU is vying for look to be what $100 here and $5 there that is what I have managed to gather from reading in this forum. I mean you guys actually think that by you striking you will get the big business of baseball to stop and not continue their games... that business is bigger than the umpires and everything about umpires... and that is sad cause again it is a game and ya need the umpires to run the game but I do not think they care.

But I do feel in the articles I had read about wages I do find that they are not fair or compensatory in the least way for what job the umpires at the MiLB level do... but I do not think striking or you acting like a moron when another human takes a baseball bat to the chest and trying to find someway to justify it by saying he is a SCAB is at all mature!!! GROW UP

In closing I hope the Tampa player is suspended for the year put in anger management and re-evaulated next year prior to the season about reinstatement.

PanamaCitBrian

I understand I will be bashed for this but understand it is one man's opinions and observations.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 10:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaCityBrian
Ya know when they tried this in the majors if I am not mistaken the MLB just fired your ***.... hmm maybe because of some of the opinions I have seen in this forum perhaps they should look into it here.
Ah Panama, but are you sure about that? There were MLB Umpires that resigned and those guys were not rehired. The AMLU umpires have not resigned from anything. They are on strike and are waiting for negotiations to resolve the issue.

Quote:
Do not get me wrong, I am all about equal pay and fair wages but..... what does striking do for you..... NOTHING..... striking has never solved anything.... you might get alittle better deal while still giving up thing you didnt want to give up.
NOTHING? Are you sure about that again? I guess you need to ask the Baseball Player's Association and many labor unions that very same question. Not sure you have a working knowledge of the history of strikes and labor disputes if you think "nothing" good comes from any strikes.

Quote:
Now I have not heard all the info but apparently the pay increase that the AMLU is vying for look to be what $100 here and $5 there that is what I have managed to gather from reading in this forum. I mean you guys actually think that by you striking you will get the big business of baseball to stop and not continue their games... that business is bigger than the umpires and everything about umpires... and that is sad cause again it is a game and ya need the umpires to run the game but I do not think they care.
All the issues on the table are not money related. Some of the issues are about safety and security of the umpires and their surroundings. I think you need to do a little more research as to what is actually being negotiated. Also you need to understand what a negotiation is. Both sides take a position and when a situation gets worse, both sides give in to something. Usually that is why both sides take a hard line and then they compromise on some issues.

Quote:
But I do feel in the articles I had read about wages I do find that they are not fair or compensatory in the least way for what job the umpires at the MiLB level do... but I do not think striking or you acting like a moron when another human takes a baseball bat to the chest and trying to find someway to justify it by saying he is a SCAB is at all mature!!! GROW UP
Thank you for the "inflammatory" language. I thought no one on your side name called?

Quote:
I understand I will be bashed for this but understand it is one man's opinions and observations.
I am not at all bashing you at all. I just think you are not educated about labor disputes and the results of them. Of course this situation is somewhat unique because it is about sports and is not the same as air traffic controllers or pilots and drivers in many industries.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
It seems to me that this young man did not include the fact that this umpire was a replacement umpire into his "thought" process when he was weighing his options. Do you honestly think that made a difference?

He would have thrown the bat at the umpire regardless. His history proves that he can't control his anger. We represent authority figures, and some participants in our game don't like being told what to do. Do you think that these types of individuals make a distinction between a reserve officer or regular police officer? All they see is "blue".

Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peruvian
I don't care who you are, what profession you're in or how the hell you feel about 'scab' umpires - no one deserves to be hit with a thrown bat by any player. Your view is just such an asinine way to look at it. Good one, PWL.

I wouldn't even wish a bat thrown at PWL during a game....but he can't extend that courtesy to others. I guess he checks the union card of each of his partners to see if he's going to have their back on the field that night or not.

PWL, why don't you just quit pussyfooting around and call for a good riot or two at the ole ballpark?

You know you want to.....
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 11:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
He would have thrown the bat at the umpire regardless. His history proves that he can't control his anger. We represent authority figures, and some participants in our game don't like being told what to do. Do you think that these types of individuals make a distinction between a reserve officer or regular police officer? All they see is "blue".

Bob P.
I am sure his anger problem was a factor. The umpire's background probably was a factor. The game situation was also a factor. The training of the umpire was a factor. I do not know why there has to be one explanation for everything. I am sure all these things played a factor in the incident. Who knows, maybe the umpire said something to him that he was not used to and over-reacted to the situation. Who knows none of us where there. I just think there are a lot of reasons for why things happen.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 11:20am

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Thank you for the "inflammatory" language. I thought no one on your side name called?
So, let me get this straight.....you don't think defending this hoodlum, out of control athlete is moronic? How is that "inflammatory?" What it is is truth.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 11:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
So, let me get this straight.....you don't think defending this hoodlum, out of control athlete is moronic? How is that "inflammatory?" What it is is truth.
I do not think anyone was defending the athlete. I think people feel there are many reasons for why things happen. This situation did not just happen in a vacuum and nothing else was at play. For all you know the frustration of the players dealing with umpires that are not used to this kind of ball. If I see varsity players and coaches get upset with umpires you think this is not going to apply in the pros?

Also lighten up Steve, part of my comments were a joke. You did exactly what I expected you to do. You responded to a post that I knew would get a response.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 11:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Giaco
Getting sprayed with tobacco and mother f..cked during an argument from a manager is not real professional either but it happens on a PRO field. Nobody deserves to get a bat thrown on them or spit at, but guess what, in PRO ball, anything can happen. That's why there are professional umpires out there to handle situations like this. Perhaps the entire incident could have been prevented by a more experienced (professionally trained) umpire????
Guess what Sal? All of that happens in ADULT BASEBALL too. Tobacco sprayed, MFd, bumped, etc. I've experienced it all. I don't think any amount of extra training is going to prepare an umpire to have a bat chucked at them by a punk-*** rat ba$tard ballplayer. I sincerely doubt that this idiot's actions could have been prevented simply by having a pro umpire there.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Giaco
While I don't wish that to happen to any umpire, there is a small part of me that says "you wanted to work AAA baseball, welcome to PRO ball". I'll leave it at that

sal -

how much professional baseball did you work?