The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

My "point" is that the official is deserving of respect by the player. John Hershbeck was not a scab, was he?
Jeff Triplette (the referee Brown pushed down) has been an NFL official since 1996. Is he a scab?
This is not the first time a player has abused an official. And it does not magically begin at the level of professional players. The respect of officials must begin at the first day of organized play, whether Little League, or Pop Warner, or travel hockey, or AAU basketball. Blue - or stripes - or whatever the heck soccer refs are wearing this year - must be hands-off.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
I sincerely hope that Young is allowed to give his side of the story in the media. While I do not and never would condone his actions, I am fully expecting to find out that the umpire said something that got the bat thrown at him. I reiterate, I DO NOT AGREE with Young's actions, but bats don't get thrown at you for no reason.

The guy that worked the plate, while remaining anonymous to most of the world, is not anonymous to me. I know him, have worked with him, and saw first hand his "handling" of a situation. I have very little doubt that Young's actions, as awful as they were, were in reaction to this guy popping off. Does that make it OK? No. Did it shed a little light on the situation when I found out who worked the gane? You're damn right it did.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

On that point I agree with you completely PWL. We agree far more than we disagree.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
I sincerely hope that Young is allowed to give his side of the story in the media. While I do not and never would condone his actions, I am fully expecting to find out that the umpire said something that got the bat thrown at him. I reiterate, I DO NOT AGREE with Young's actions, but bats don't get thrown at you for no reason.

The guy that worked the plate, while remaining anonymous to most of the world, is not anonymous to me. I know him, have worked with him, and saw first hand his "handling" of a situation. I have very little doubt that Young's actions, as awful as they were, were in reaction to this guy popping off. Does that make it OK? No. Did it shed a little light on the situation when I found out who worked the gane? You're damn right it did.
I just can't remember the last time I clocked a player with my mask when he popped off at me.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I just can't remember the last time I clocked a player with my mask when he popped off at me.

Maybe this opens the door. Next time a batter questions strike three, kick him in the nuts and tell him to go sit down.

-Benjamin Franklin
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIGGY
Maybe this opens the door. Next time a batter questions strike three, kick him in the nuts and tell him to go sit down.
Don't think it hasn't crossed my mind.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorg
As much as I want to see the professionals back on the field (it couldn't come fast enough for me), this guy is an umpire. I hope we do not use his physical abuse to further the cause. Throw the book at Young. He threw at bat at all of us.
Sorry to disagree with you. He threw the bat at a scab who has disrespected our brothers in blue. I guess this shows that the gloves are coming off in dealing with the "replacements". These guys have been babied by Minor League Baseball since the strike began. If they were treated like the real umpires, they would not be there, the games would not be played, PBUC would have to deal with the umps, and the entire farce would be over. I don't wish an injury on anyone, but the scab was in the wrong place at the wrong time. What have they done to earn respect? Stab our fellow umpires in the back. Not much respect for that from either the players, or other umpires.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 01:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncump7
Sorry to disagree with you. He threw the bat at a scab who has disrespected our brothers in blue. I guess this shows that the gloves are coming off in dealing with the "replacements". These guys have been babied by Minor League Baseball since the strike began. If they were treated like the real umpires, they would not be there, the games would not be played, PBUC would have to deal with the umps, and the entire farce would be over. I don't wish an injury on anyone, but the scab was in the wrong place at the wrong time. What have they done to earn respect? Stab our fellow umpires in the back. Not much respect for that from either the players, or other umpires.
I don't care what the situation, but that would be the last time that player ever thought of throwing a bat at another umpire if he ever tried that with me. He'd be one sorry SOB.

I see you still think they wouldn't have found a way to play their games without these "scabs." That's pretty f-ing funny!
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 04:10am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
Should we place the over-under on how long he'll be suspended for at 50?

Edit: 300 posts....does that get me a pair of fishnets, or an autographed picture of the well-endowed squirrel?

More importantly, is that even though I have no use for scabs, I do hope the PU in this game will file criminal charges against the player.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWL
What's your point? If blue is blue, then the little rat scab wouldn't have been out there in the first place. I hope they take up a collection and pay his fine.
...well, it was only a matter of time till someone put their plate-shoe in their mouth... here's more smooth, PR-savvy commentary, certain to increase sympathy for the AMLU
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncump7
Sorry to disagree with you. He threw the bat at a scab who has disrespected our brothers in blue. < snip > What have they done to earn respect? Stab our fellow umpires in the back. Not much respect for that from either the players, or other umpires.
I agree with all of those things. I do not respect this guy at all. However, I don't feel comfortable saying that it's okay to throw a bat at an umpire under some circumstances.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 07:25am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Giaco
While I don't wish that to happen to any umpire, there is a small part of me that says "you wanted to work AAA baseball, welcome to PRO ball". I'll leave it at that
Yeah, that's real professional: to throw a bat at another person.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Getting sprayed with tobacco and mother f..cked during an argument from a manager is not real professional either but it happens on a PRO field. Nobody deserves to get a bat thrown on them or spit at, but guess what, in PRO ball, anything can happen. That's why there are professional umpires out there to handle situations like this. Perhaps the entire incident could have been prevented by a more experienced (professionally trained) umpire????
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Giaco
Getting sprayed with tobacco and mother f..cked during an argument from a manager is not real professional either but it happens on a PRO field. Nobody deserves to get a bat thrown on them or spit at, but guess what, in PRO ball, anything can happen. That's why there are professional umpires out there to handle situations like this. Perhaps the entire incident could have been prevented by a more experienced (professionally trained) umpire????

Perhaps the incident would have been prevented and maybe not. Do they teach you how to duck a bat thrown by an idiot in Pro school? Also Sal, I suggest if you are going to run your mouth about what happens on a pro field read the minor league tobacco rule and the fines for it.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorg
I agree with all of those things. I do not respect this guy at all. However, I don't feel comfortable saying that it's okay to throw a bat at an umpire under some circumstances.

Awwwww, we so appreciate your moment of humanity there.

I think I remember in school learning that you can not respect a person while still not wishing physical harm to them.