The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I understand the points both of you have made. You're right, we still live in a society where this type of bigotry is still prevalent. It's a shame that is has to be that way, but it is.

As far as the Little League umpires issue, it saddens me that so many disparaging comments are directed at Little League umpires on these forums. I understand that there are many, many piss poor LL umpires. In my opinion the sheer volume of games played in the LL organization themselves have to be the number one contributing factor to this problem. However, to indict all umpires who choose to work LL games based on the poor umpires seen at times is unfair. One of my favorite people who post's on this board often opines that Little League umpires suck. I'm certain that he's drawn that conclusion based on his personal exposure to them. In our area that's just not the case. I hope there will come a point in time that he can see some of us who are dedicated officials in the Little League organization work some games. I think he might just change his mind if it ever happens.

Tim.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Great post, BigUmp! Higher level umpires who take the time to do LL games (in all there generations - LL, Inc., travel, recreational) give the players such a good level of officiating and really make their LL time memorable.
I also hope HS umpires ARE viewed by how they look - proper dress, equipment, etc. Who can forget that to US, at 15, 16, 17 high school ball (our first matching uniform, sewn-on numbers, more than three fans) WAS our major leagues!
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 11:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue
If it hurts your feelings, lose weight. I know it's easier said than done, but I know it's doable because I lost over 50lbs myself in 2003. If you want to be taken seriously as an official, you have to look the part. Unfortunately, that means being in shape and being clean shaven (I know that's a whole other thread), but it's true.

Sure, you can call LL ball as a fatty and nobody's going to care, but if you seriously want to advance, you're going to have to lose the weight. Even the MLB officials that are overweight are critiqued more harshly by the players and coaches.
Don't know who ya are, but I've already advanced as far as I'm going to, and I said it hurts people's feelings, not mine. I just find it ignorant to refer to people by their physical appearance, and the only ones that receive that treatment are fat people.

I know quite a few JUCO, D-1, 2, and 3 umpires who are tubs of lard, so the advancement thing isn't quite cut and dried.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I understand the points both of you have made. You're right, we still live in a society where this type of bigotry is still prevalent. It's a shame that is has to be that way, but it is.

As far as the Little League umpires issue, it saddens me that so many disparaging comments are directed at Little League umpires on these forums. I understand that there are many, many piss poor LL umpires. In my opinion the sheer volume of games played in the LL organization themselves have to be the number one contributing factor to this problem. However, to indict all umpires who choose to work LL games based on the poor umpires seen at times is unfair. One of my favorite people who post's on this board often opines that Little League umpires suck. I'm certain that he's drawn that conclusion based on his personal exposure to them. In our area that's just not the case. I hope there will come a point in time that he can see some of us who are dedicated officials in the Little League organization work some games. I think he might just change his mind if it ever happens.

Tim.
There are umpires who work little league, and there are "little league umpires". There is a drastic difference between the two.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
There are umpires who work little league, and there are "little league umpires". There is a drastic difference between the two.

Well put, Garth. This kind of gives me a new perspective on where some you have been coming from.

Tim.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
As far as the Little League umpires issue...
I guess that was a poor comparison on my part. I wasn't saying that LL umps are worse than any other officials, I was just using the LL level of baseball as my example since at that level (same as with PONY, etc...) that there isn't much selectivity when choosing umpires. Basically anyone that wants to do it can. Once you get above the HS level, it's much more selective and factors such as appearance weigh more heavily.

I didn't mean to sound biased towards LL officials, that's not the case at all. There are good and bad officials in every association at every level. To me, anyone that goes out and makes an effort to call the best game they can is a good official, regardless of the level they work.