The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 28, 2001, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, so maybe I kicked a call this week. I was trail and A1 was dribbling up the sideline with B1 covering him like white on rice. A3 moves in for a screen and there was contact but not much b/c seeing the screen coming, B1 jumps to avoid A3. Problem was he jumped into A1 forcing him out of bounds. I call push on B1....

To use Mr. Padgett's line: Mr. Howler Monkey goes APE SH$T.....lol...get it....APE SH%T...Howler Monkey....Ape.....ok forget it, its not that funny.....anyway B's Coach goes nuts yelling for a moving screen....my partner later thought the same thing...moving screen although why he was watching the dribbler in front of me is subject for another post.

The more I think about it, A3 did give B1 time and distance but was still moving and there was contact allbeit slight.....

So the question....

Does the contact by A3 merit a foul. He's trying to get in there for his screen. Meanwhile B1 moves away from the screen (after slight contact but he did jump) and plows Mr. Dribbler OOB.

Thanks

Larks - Veteran In Training

Old Fri Dec 28, 2001, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

IMHO, a push on B1 is the correct call.

From what I read, A3 was within the visual field of B1, and therefore was legally screening B1. B1 moved around the screen (which was proper or incidental contact) and contacted A1, so the foul is B1 against A1.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

You only kicked one call this week? Man, you are good!!

Seriously though, from your description of the play i would've had the same call you did.

Jake
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
If the screener was moving backwards, away from contact, and the contact occurred anyway, it is definitely not a foul on him. Or if he was moving to protect himself from imminent danger, it's not a foul on him. Just because the body was moving, doesn't mean it's a moving screen.

This is another good reason to call the screener's foul an "illegal screen" instead of a "moving screen". It helps clear up confusion.