The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

PU in NCAA Championship Series again kept the batter in the box due to not attempting to avoid the pitch. Sue Enquist was not a happy camper and hustled to the plate to let the umpire know that. What was even better was that the replay showed the batter actually bent her knee into the pitch.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Way to go Susie
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Great strike zone too.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2005, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Great call and good coverage by camera crew. Showed she moving her right leg into
the pitch.

Yes, Rachel, she did have a good zone.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Agreed

Gotta get out of the way. She just stood there, barely moving her back knee - but moved it into the pitch.

And yes, her zone was good. Good corners, good low ball, not too high on the top end.

Good game. Can't wait until tomorrow's finale!
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

HBP

Ya know I saw this Last week once I wasn't sure what game it was but I'll be damned the batter leaned into the pitch.

The NCAA blues didn't award the base due to not avoiding the pitch.

I did a 12U Tourney this last weekend and sure enough I had the same girl in my last game do the same thing twice. Coach was hopping mad on the second pitch but the batter just stood there bent her knees and took one of those floater change ups (almost looks like a flat slow pitch ball) right off the thigh.

Batter both times started to trot to first but I called her back and told her she at least has to make an attempt to get out the way.

The coach acually had the nerve to tell me that the batter does not have to attempt get out of the way, and wanted to get the rule book out. I got the game underway and the UIC came down with the ASA rule book while we were underway and read the rule directly to the coach standing the the dougout.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

If my UIC brought a rule book down during a game, I'd be hopping mad, and that's not a pretty sight - me hopping around the field. This is what I'd look like after that game
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Well I'd only be mad if the UIC brought a rulebook down and didn't back me up. In this case it looks like the UIC backed up the call with the rulebook.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

The UIC shouldn't HAVE to bring down a rule book... He damned well better back up his staff with whatever decision was made. If the coach wants to talk rules and read books, then the UIC can do that after the game... not during.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

After I got the game underway again. The Coach went to the Tourny Director, and they both went to the UIC.

If I had been doing this for very long I might have been more upset with this, but this year is my first at fast pitch.

I do believe the only reason the UIC came down was this coach was an Jack@#$, and wanted to rub the book in his face. This coach had not only been a pain in the rear for me but he was annoying to every blue that called his games.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2005, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Don't start hopping too fast

If you are going to get hopping mad about a UIC bringing down a rule book during your game, don't go to an ASA National.
I have been to 4 different Nationals in the last three years where this happened.
Of course all three times the UIC was backing the umpires on the field.
It may happen more than I know, but in that case I have no problem.

If it were to happen in relation to a protest, again I have no problem with it.
I know my rules, occassionally I have brain flatulence, but I have never had a protest turn out against me.
(but......I have made a mistake and no one protested, phew!)

Don't take yourself too seriously guys, you will burn out.

I don't care if a coach pulls out a rule book to talk to me (nicely of course) If I don't want to talk, I ignore them.
If they want to try and show me up, the parking lot is just a short walk away.

Be able to be approached but don't be a doormat.

Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

I think the "rub" is that neither the TD nor the UIC can override the umpire. Even if the umpire was wrong, it is up to the umpire to change the call if so inclined. Opening the book after a decision has been rendered is risky business.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tcannizzo
I think the "rub" is that neither the TD nor the UIC can override the umpire. Even if the umpire was wrong, it is up to the umpire to change the call if so inclined. Opening the book after a decision has been rendered is risky business.
Unless a protest has been filed. Then, it is SOP (or should be) for the umpires to consult the book. It is possible the protest can be resolved right then and there.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2005, 03:51pm
In Time Out

Thumbs up Documentation is a good thing.

Scenario 1. UIC, who is backing me up, uses the printed rule book as a tool/reference to support his case, and to convince a coach who won't believe anything less. But now he is quiet, and even goes away saying "Those guys actually got it right!"

Scenario 2. Noisy coach isn't convinced, doesn't learn, puts doubts in everyone else's mind the rest of the day, and goes away saying "All those blues got it wrong!". Those who hear it but didn't see it don't have any reason to know he's wrong.

Yes, the coach should know better, but I vote for scenario 1 AND a successful teaching opportunity.