The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 30, 2003, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

After calling two games, I watch the 3 man crew do their mechanics.

At the begining of the second qtr, White should have gotten the ball. The refs, the players, and everyone got into their halfcourt positions. But, the blue team came to perform the throw in. None of the refs, coaches, players, or the very vocal parents noticed this and gave them the ball. They immediately took it the other way for a layup (missed).

What really surprised me was that they then had the possession arrow point to blue. They said that since it was pointing to white, then the next one should point to blue. I was thinking the term Possession arrow meant possession and the arrow should have stayed pointin towards white. What would you have done?
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 12:03am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
After calling two games, I watch the 3 man crew do their mechanics.

At the begining of the second qtr, White should have gotten the ball. The refs, the players, and everyone got into their halfcourt positions. But, the blue team came to perform the throw in. None of the refs, coaches, players, or the very vocal parents noticed this and gave them the ball. They immediately took it the other way for a layup (missed).

What really surprised me was that they then had the possession arrow point to blue. They said that since it was pointing to white, then the next one should point to blue. I was thinking the term Possession arrow meant possession and the arrow should have stayed pointin towards white. What would you have done?

Once the throw-in was touched by a player or touched a player, the throw-in ended. The mistake in giving the ball to Team Blue instead of Team White cannot be corrected once the AP Throw-in ends. And you are correct that the AP Arrow should have remained pointing towards Team White's basket with Team White getting the ball for the AP Throw-in for the next held ball situation.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
At the begining of the second qtr, White should have gotten the ball. The refs, the players, and everyone got into their halfcourt positions. But, the blue team came to perform the throw in. ... They immediately took it the other way for a layup (missed).

What really surprised me was that they then had the possession arrow point to blue. They said that since it was pointing to white, then the next one should point to blue. I was thinking the term Possession arrow meant possession and the arrow should have stayed pointin towards white.
... And you are correct that the AP Arrow should have remained pointing towards Team White's basket with Team White getting the ball for the AP Throw-in for the next held ball situation.
Padgett, don't let me down here, quote your famous line to the blue coach...