The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Baserunning Error

Fed rules, 2 outs bases loaded. F2 attempts pick on R3 at 1st. Throw over to 1st in the dirt and rolls to the deep corner by bullpen. R1 scores, R2 scores,
R3 ends up at 3B. R3 misses 2B before R2 crosses the plate. State association rule that the umpire calls the infraction when observed after continuous action, therefore eliminating an appeal by the defense. How many runs should score?
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Off the top of my head I would say 2 runs score since the missed base at 2B is not a force. But the state change to the FED rule was "when observed after playing action". That's two different times, "when observed" comes before "after playing action".
Old Fri Apr 14, 2006, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger71
State association rule that the umpire calls the infraction when observed after continuous action, therefore eliminating an appeal by the defense. How many runs should score?

What state is still allowing us to call an out for a missed base without a proper appeal?

Tim.
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

south carolina
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

It's still a time play. The time of the out would be the end of playing action. So all the runs that crossed the plate would score.

Maine just went to the appeal rule this year.
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 11:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger71
south carolina
I am confused. Are some states just getting the memo? Appeals have been in the FED book for quite some time now. I was under the distinct impression that it was universally applied.

Also, my rule book lists certain rules that can be modified by state adoption, but it does not list any of the appeal rules as ones that can be altered. It isn't considered a speed-up rule, is it? Somebody please tell me how this came about.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I am confused. Are some states just getting the memo? Appeals have been in the FED book for quite some time now. I was under the distinct impression that it was universally applied.

Also, my rule book lists certain rules that can be modified by state adoption, but it does not list any of the appeal rules as ones that can be altered. It isn't considered a speed-up rule, is it? Somebody please tell me how this came about.
SD Steve,

Verbal appeals are still in the FED rulebook as they have been for some time. What has changed (not sure exactly when) is that FED used to have a rule where the umpire could call an out on a baserunning infraction (missed base or failure to retouch on a legally caught fly ball) without any appeal by the defense. The current ruling is that the defense must appeal - either verbally or by the more traditional "appeal play". Except, apparently, in South Carolina.

As to whether or not it is proper for a state association to modify this rule, I haven't the foggiest.

JM
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 12:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
SD Steve,

Verbal appeals are still in the FED rulebook as they have been for some time. What has changed (not sure exactly when) is that FED used to have a rule where the umpire could call an out on a baserunning infraction (missed base or failure to retouch on a legally caught fly ball) without any appeal by the defense. The current ruling is that the defense must appeal - either verbally or by the more traditional "appeal play". Except, apparently, in South Carolina.

As to whether or not it is proper for a state association to modify this rule, I haven't the foggiest.

JM
JM,

I know the way it used to be, that's what I was saying. We used to have to be cops out there ratting on the baserunners when they missed bases. I thought we had gotten completely away from that sort of thing.

That is why I am asking what is different about South Carolina. I was led to believe that the FED rule was changed for all states.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Apr 15, 2006, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

South Carolina's baseball state interperter position is that football & basketball officials calls infractions without the teams initiating an appeal, so can baseball umpires. Incidentally, he also quoted that a majority of teams "err" the appeal when it was in effect.